Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Every little bit helps - Tax Accountants/Lawyers??  (Read 1198 times)

Offline RKL

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Every little bit helps - Tax Accountants/Lawyers??
« on: March 09, 2009, 07:21:02 PM »
I need to do my taxes.  As I look at Charitable Deductions, I think I ought to be able to deduct the mileage I drive to volunteer trail workdays under the tax code.  As I read it, my trail work is a donation to a local or state park - Boyette or Alafia.  The IRS allows a deduction to get to get to a charitable donation of $0.14 per mile.  It ain't much, but if you work a lot or drive a long way maybe it will add up for you.

Do tax accountants or lawyers ride mountain bikes??  If you're out there - what do you think??

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
Re: Every little bit helps - Tax Accountants/Lawyers??
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
That sounds awesome. Keep me posted because I drive 65 miles...  :o
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 09:46:44 PM »
51 miles to Boyette + 15 minutes to Alafia.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 07:25:06 AM »
I will have CPArider look into this

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 01:31:41 PM »
To be able to deduct mileage to and from volunteer work it must be a IRC 501(c)(3) charity (non-profit) or other 501(c) organization such as a church, etc. So the question becomes what is SWAMP and do they file a Form 990 and if so what code section exempts them from income tax. If they are truly a IRC 501(c)(3) the dues would even possibly be deductible. The current standard mileage rate for charitable work is 14 cents per mile (see link below). Also, to get a benefit on your income tax return you would need to itemize your deductions and not just take the standard deduction. See publication 526 (below) for more information. You can also see Form 1040 Sch A instructions for more information.    http://www.irs.gov/taxpros/article/0,,id=156624,00.html  http://www.irs.gov/publications/p526/ar02.html#en_US_publink100049631
See: Out-of-Pocket Expenses in Giving Services above.  
--
Chris   In accordance with IRS Circular 230, unless expressly stated otherwise in this transmission this correspondence is not to be considered a “covered opinion” or other written tax advice and should not be relied upon for IRS audit, tax dispute, or any other purpose.  If you desire a formal opinion on a particular tax matter, we will discuss with you the additional Treasury requirements that must be met.

This e-mail contains privileged and confidential information intended only for the individual or entity named within the message. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited. If this communication was received in error, please notify me by reply e-mail and permanently delete the original message.

Offline RKL

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 06:57:19 PM »
IRS publication 526 includes "the United States or any state, DC, a US possession, a political sudivision of a state" (for example - a county) as a type of qualified organization you can use to claim a charitable deduction.  The examples go on to use as examples donations to cities and that the charitable act has to be "solely for public purposes".  If I was going to do this - I would not be counting my travel toward a donation to SWAMP.  The charitable act would be to the State DEP or Hillsborough County parks.  I would hope that busting hump to build trails for everyone to enjoy in a public park with donated time would fall under "for public purposes".  I would think the folks at Alafia could provide guidance and ought to help all their volunteers take advantage of this if it applies.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 07:13:53 PM »
a CPA just explained why it won't work

plus - the deduction you would get would be so minimal ....you are talking $15 a year or so

Advertisement: