Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Knee and Shin Protection?  (Read 1940 times)

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Knee and Shin Protection?
« on: March 09, 2009, 09:02:31 PM »
After a long ride at Santos this weekend and all the rock gardens, I realized it would not be a bad idea to get some knee/shin protection.   Anyone have any recommendations on some that will keep me somewhat cool yet still offer protection and comfort?

2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Re: Knee and Shin Protection?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 10:08:14 PM »
After a long ride at Santos this weekend and all the rock gardens, I realized it would not be a bad idea to get some knee/shin protection.   Anyone have any recommendations on some that will keep me somewhat cool yet still offer protection and comfort?

I just reinforced the inside of my leg with Titanium, don't under estimate bionics....

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 07:24:09 AM »
I got fox knee and shin gaurds and fox elbow gaurds...I got them wore them a short while then never think about them anymore....They work very good..I recomend fox

maybe I should put them back on and start riding hard stuff again

naked indian

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 08:55:16 AM »

I got a practically brand new set of chrome fox knee shin guards I will sell you for 15 bucks... I will be at alafia sunday...

Offline Clay

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 01:11:15 PM »
Hey bikehard, I use to use Lizard Skins. I prefered the way they formed to my legs and shin area and did not inhibit movement. They also have a removable insert that make them a little more x/c friendly. However, if your looking for ones that are cooler, defintily go w/ a style like NakedIndian is refering too w/ some air flow. Good luck!

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 06:02:54 PM »
I have 2 sets of leg and arm armor (Dainese and Rockgardn) and have found the Rockgardn to be the better of the two.  It has also been my experience that the armor will actually provide decent protection in the event of a crash sucks to pedal in so I only really wear my stuff when lifts, high speeds, and big rocks are involved.  That said, if you want to try out either sets of armor (i'd sell the dainese to you for cheap), let me know.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 07:18:03 PM »

Don't crash.  :D   

Unfortunately, it happens.  I'm a prime example-I went down Sunday on Vortex and cracked my helmet.  I'd take Bill up on his offer of borrowing his armor to see if it suits you.  Armor is like tires in a way--it's expensive to purchase and then later find out you don't like it.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 07:23:43 PM »
Thanks guys for all the feedback.  I would probably only be using them when I go up to Santos, so I might have to try some out first.

Bill.... if you want bring em sat to alafia when we ride and i will check em out.

NI....you got any pics?

I really want them to give the "mental" edge when it gets really rough as well as the "practical protection" when that rock jumps out in front of me.
2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

naked indian

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 08:06:10 PM »
Thanks guys for all the feedback.  I would probably only be using them when I go up to Santos, so I might have to try some out first.

Bill.... if you want bring em sat to alafia when we ride and i will check em out.

NI....you got any pics?

I really want them to give the "mental" edge when it gets really rough as well as the "practical protection" when that rock jumps out in front of me.

Offline old gray goat

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 08:21:11 PM »
NI
Are u doing that thing at alafia this Sunday?? I don`t remember was it dare?

naked indian

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 08:32:44 PM »
NI
Are u doing that thing at alafia this Sunday?? I don`t remember was it dare?

I will be there.  I dont know if its a dare, but imma go there and try to ride it all on my fixie sunday ten am.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 08:35:09 AM »

I'll dig them out of the closet (while trying to avoid all the skeletons) when I get home from DC tonight/tomorrow and put them in my gear bag. 
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 03:26:13 PM »
I did quite a bit of research (reading the reviews on mtbr) and picked the Roach DH version.  Many of the others had many complaints about the pads falling apart (stitching coming loose, etc).  I've only worn them a few times, but they help with my confidence, and really aren't uncomfortable (last time I wore them was at Boyette, rode 16 miles with them). 
07 Redline Monocog Flight 29'er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)
07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3 (The One That Started It All)

Advertisement: