Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Can I get some info on a bike??  (Read 1791 times)

Offline moonbeam

• First Bike
Can I get some info on a bike??
« on: March 10, 2009, 04:06:05 PM »
So I have been looking at this Jetta Trek that actually is a Trek 850 frame carrying the components from a Trek 930. Trek's Jetta frame is double-welded chromemoly steel. The components are a mix of Trek's own System 1 equipment and an industry-standard Shimano STX drivetrain with GripShift shifters. The bike looks good, no rust, the seat is just crap. Really I want to know if it is possable to trade out components and turn this bike into a road bike?? I can get this one really cheap. I looked in the Trek archives only go back to 03. Any input would be great, thanks!  ???

Offline old gray goat

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
Re: Can I get some info on a bike??
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 05:46:48 PM »
May I ask what is your goal with this bike??

Offline moonbeam

• First Bike
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 08:07:54 PM »
I think maybe to make a road bike if that is possible. 

Offline old gray goat

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 08:12:52 PM »
It`s kind of a hybred not really good for what u are looking for

Offline moonbeam

• First Bike
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 08:31:38 PM »
Thanks

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 08:54:43 PM »
I think that the only way a Trek 830 would be worth upgrading is if you got it for free. That might even be pushing it. You should save up for a fitness style bike which is a lot like a road bike but has mtb shifters, handlebars,etc. They are listed on Craigslist fairly often. I've seen them range from $200-$600 used and they ride super nice. I used to have one but it was to small so I sold it a few years back.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline moonbeam

• First Bike
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 07:24:37 AM »
Ok, thanks. I am trying to learn everything I can, but my god there are a million diff. types of bikes out there!! I have had my Giant for 2 years and I'm sure I should up grade things or something, but I would not even know where to begin. The only thing I have done is upgrade my saddle and that was due to dyer need.

naked indian

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 07:42:45 AM »
Ok, thanks. I am trying to learn everything I can, but my god there are a million diff. types of bikes out there!! I have had my Giant for 2 years and I'm sure I should up grade things or something, but I would not even know where to begin. The only thing I have done is upgrade my saddle and that was due to dyer need.

What are you wanting to get out of your riding that your not getting now?  What kind of riding do you want to do? Whats your major complaint about your current ride?

Answer those two questions for me and I can give you direction on upgrading...

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 07:58:47 AM »
NI is correct, if we know what riding experience you are looking for, and what your present ride doesn't offer you then your quest can be best answered.

Offline moonbeam

• First Bike
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 04:43:32 PM »
I want a comfortable fast ride. I like the more challenging trails, but have not quite gotten to all the reds. I know my rear derailleur "cog" needs replacing. I have already had to have a part shaved down because it was bent and the shop did not have the part. Now it is not shifting well. Can you just replace that part or do I have to by a whole new derailleur? Also, I was wondering about tire tread. Do they work like a cars, with a deeper tread gripping better?
I was looking for another bike because I was tinkering with the idea of riding the road. For that a descent base model would be what??

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 05:34:10 PM »
I want a comfortable fast ride. I like the more challenging trails, but have not quite gotten to all the reds. A lighter bike will give you the chance for more speed on cross country style trails that we have in this region.  You are not talking downhill or aggressive drops like what is found in the Ocala free-ride area where you would want a slightly heavier bike.
So now the option is hardtail or full suspension.  Hardtail allows more direct power transfer from your pedal stroke to drive train, but a well set-up full suspension will allow close to the same thing with the added comfort of not being quite as picky on the line you choose over roots, rocks, etc. On a hardtail you're just out of the saddle a bit more over those.  I have both - I like my hardtail at places like Croom; the full suspension is more forgiving at like Alafia and Santos.
The other consideration is cost.  There is a true definition in cycling from a $500 bike to a $1500 bike.  Better quality in frame, components and the overall feel of the bike - as well as superior suspension as the price goes up.  Buy as much as you can afford.  Also from there you can always upgrade later.

I know my rear derailleur "cog" needs replacing. I have already had to have a part shaved down because it was bent and the shop did not have the part. Now it is not shifting well. Can you just replace that part or do I have to by a whole new derailleur? The deraillieur and cog are two different things. The chain goes over the separate cogs on the cassette attached to the rear wheel and runs through the deraillieur attached to the frame in the back.  You have a front and rear deraillieur - the front shifts the chain from the smallest to biggest of three chain rings in the front.  If the cassette had a cog that was bent likely the chain would need replacing too as a precaution, but unless the shop was able to align the cog exactly you will have shifting issues.  Expect in the range of $25 for a good chain and $50/$75 for a LX quality cassette. (mid range but GOOD.)
Also, I was wondering about tire tread. Do they work like a cars, with a deeper tread gripping better? Tires you wil find almost as many opinions on as tires themselves.  But here's the basics.  For muddier conditions you want a little more space between the knobs, but doesn't necessarily have be big knob for Florida and most of what we see in the nearby states. Lower knob= lower rolling resistance.  With that said I like a knob like the WTB Weirwolf for a great all condition tire.  Runs about $50 each.  Kenda Karma is a great tire with a low knob and spaced good for mud conditions too.  I ride it on all trails in our area and like it.  My hardtail has Kenda Kozmick Lite which is a slightly lower knob and closer together that works real well on everything except mud.  There again in the $45/$50 range, but deals can be found.
I was looking for another bike because I was tinkering with the idea of riding the road. For that a descent base model would be what??  One bike that does both? Or another bike for road to compliment what you already have for off road.  The "Fitness Bikes" that Giant, Trek and Specialized put out are great if you are looking to avoid a drop bar road bike. They offer much the same as you will find in a standard drop bar or racer model, but with mountain bars and shifters.  They can start at around $5/600 and hit $1900/$2500.  Depends on what you are looking for.  An entry level road bike with quality components will start about $1200, like most mountain bikes.  Obviously you can spend a whole lot more too.

naked indian

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 06:11:12 PM »
I want a comfortable fast ride. I like the more challenging trails, but have not quite gotten to all the reds. I know my rear derailleur "cog" needs replacing. I have already had to have a part shaved down because it was bent and the shop did not have the part. Now it is not shifting well. Can you just replace that part or do I have to by a whole new derailleur? Also, I was wondering about tire tread. Do they work like a cars, with a deeper tread gripping better?
I was looking for another bike because I was tinkering with the idea of riding the road. For that a descent base model would be what??

Replace your drivetrain, means,new chainrings for the front cranks, new chain and new cassette, your derailleur if only two years old prolly needs recabling and it will be fine. 

As for the bike, depends, comfort is relative.  Make friends and try some stuff out.

For the road, Garry gave good info but you can find some close out deals on entry level road bikes for about 500 bucks if you shop around.

specialized makes a good safe bike choice.
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=09Sirrus&eid=121

brand new in the box base model.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=39254&eid=115

this is the 09 models im sure the 08 models are cheaper.

This is just specialized, giant and as well as the LBS' always are ready to wheel and deal, lookem up.

My 2 cents.

best of all, just go out and have fun!!

Offline moonbeam

• First Bike
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 06:38:53 PM »
Thanks so much, it was all very informative. Thats the prob with those maintenance plans, you never learn anything. I like to be more hands on, more pride in my ride ;D .
Later guys, have fun out there.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 07:03:52 PM »
Thanks so much, it was all very informative. Thats the prob with those maintenance plans, you never learn anything. I like to be more hands on, more pride in my ride ;D .
Later guys, have fun out there.
How tall are you and what is your budget?  We can help keep an out for you too.

Offline moonbeam

• First Bike
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 08:31:38 PM »
5' 7" I ride a 18" Giant now, and around $5/600 I would like to try my hand at building, so the budget will of course be spreed out over time. Not that that is my budget for the whole bike, just starting. I know this sounds crazy for someone who doesn't know much but I like to learn this way. Oh, and for a road bike not a MTB, I can always upgrade the MTB I already have.

Advertisement: