Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Squiggy Lap Mileage  (Read 2550 times)

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
Squiggy Lap Mileage
« on: March 11, 2009, 01:40:43 PM »
How many miles is 1 lap at Squiggy? or is it different each year?

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
Re: Squiggy Lap Mileage
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 01:48:55 PM »
Last year it was approx. 10 miles. I understand there is a description of this years course on the Yahoo forum. If anyone has access to that that can you give us some insight?

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 01:51:03 PM »
Just got the message:

Start in the parking lot on the south side of the road of the Morris Bridge parking area (trail marker 19) and head out the dirt road towards the trails.  Turn right at first road split toward marker 18 and head to the power lines.  At the power lines, head towards Grandpa, taking the middle dip and ride grandpa til the first split, take a right and ride techno pig.  At the end of techno, hang a right and drop into the dip and make a sharp left and take north Hogwild to main trail marker 14.  Go left and take Enchanted on your right, then head to palmetto.  Make a right on Grandpa at the end of Palmetto and take that all the way to main trail marker 6.  Head towards the hole in the fence parking lot on main trail, and make a u-turn on second short-cut after the kiosk.  Head back to kiosk, staying right when you get there and head to Gator Bait (hump will be the faster option, but you can go around if you like).  After Gator head to Indian, at the end of Indian take the old route to the power lines, head to washboard, Heartbreak and back to the road.  Should be 9.6 miles or so.[/]

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 03:20:03 PM »
Dang, would'nt you know it :'( All the TECHNICAL stuff ;D

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 12:13:52 PM »
Just got the message:

Start in the parking lot on the south side of the road of the Morris Bridge parking area (trail marker 19) and head out the dirt road towards the trails.  Turn right at first road split toward marker 18 and head to the power lines.  At the power lines, head towards Grandpa, taking the middle dip and ride grandpa til the first split, take a right and ride techno pig.  At the end of techno, hang a right and drop into the dip and make a sharp left and take north Hogwild to main trail marker 14.  Go left and take Enchanted on your right, then head to palmetto.  Make a right on Grandpa at the end of Palmetto and take that all the way to main trail marker 6.  Head towards the hole in the fence parking lot on main trail, and make a u-turn on second short-cut after the kiosk.  Head back to kiosk, staying right when you get there and head to Gator Bait (hump will be the faster option, but you can go around if you like).  After Gator head to Indian, at the end of Indian take the old route to the power lines, head to washboard, Heartbreak and back to the road. Should be 9.6 miles or so.[/]

I marked the course with her that night she wrote this, She forgot to count the gravel road, because we didn't ride it the second time. I am not 100 percent sure, though I will be later today, But I think 9.8 or 9.9 is more likely.....I will update this evening.

Last year it was EXACTLY 9.50 miles.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 08:18:54 PM »
I just finished riding the course with John, we rode it exactly as it will be on Saturday. It came out at 9.70 miles....  9.72 on his and 9.68 on mine.... The course is in pretty good shape, we trimmed back some face slappers and groomed a couple of spots....He will be marking it early tomorrow.

Offline jimn213

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: is fast, but I'm not...
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 09:35:50 AM »
We rode it Wednesday night, and with the exception of the few short sections of the main trail that are sandy, it is pretty fast...
Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world.
- Publilius Syrus (1st guy ever on a mailing list)

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 03:23:07 PM »
We rode it Wednesday night, and with the exception of the few short sections of the main trail that are sandy, it is pretty fast...

Zoom!!!!!!!!!

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 05:59:42 PM »
thats almost exactly the practice route, I've been taking for the past two weeks, getting warmed up..so I guessed right. :D

That said, it's pretty firm for the most part, because the new re-routes through grandpa, eliminate most of the sand pits...

there is a new rule this year, which I am happy about, no one is allowed to pass vintage bikes, which happens to include my LTS. :D

so if you come up on an super hot looking fat guy on a polished LTS, immediately drop to granny and spin the rest of your lap out.  :P
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 08:12:35 PM »
thats almost exactly the practice route, I've been taking for the past two weeks, getting warmed up..so I guessed right. :D

That said, it's pretty firm for the most part, because the new re-routes through grandpa, eliminate most of the sand pits...

there is a new rule this year, which I am happy about, no one is allowed to pass vintage bikes, which happens to include my LTS. :D

so if you come up on an super hot looking fat guy on a polished LTS, immediately drop to granny and spin the rest of your lap out.  :P

I will yell beep beep!

Advertisement: