Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Upper Loch Ness  (Read 3285 times)

Offline trauma_alert

• First Bike
Upper Loch Ness
« on: March 11, 2009, 09:19:22 PM »
So with all of the traffic that Boyette has been getting lately, (which i feel it definitely deserves) Upper Loch Ness has become crowded, to the point of being dangerous. The past two weeks i have ran into multiple groups riding Upper backwards. I'm afraid that someone will be coming around the first corner as i go barreling down it and at my weight ( 230 ) that collision wouldn't be pretty. I suggest we make Upper one way and i think there will be plenty of SWAMP'ers who agree with me.

Let the argument begin...

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Upper Loch Ness
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 09:30:35 PM »
It's in the works.  A couple of rides to see which is better flow, then ordering the signs.

Offline jbennardo

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2010 Giant XTC29er1
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 11:30:50 PM »
Good to hear. I guess we've got some growing pains... literally. :D
It's amazing to see so much traffic out at Boyette now where things like this have to be under consideration. I dug up an old map the other day and chuckled when I saw how little the park was... pre-abyss!
Quite a testament to how much planning and work was put into making a great riding area.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 07:38:56 AM »
I dug up an old map the other day and chuckled when I saw how little the park was... pre-abyss!
Oh man, in those days you could get 16 miles - 18 if you picked up the levy that circumnavigates the Abyss's.  I got 31 miles on Sunday by including the quadrants and two loops through Abyss and Ridgeline.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 08:02:44 AM »
am i the only one with mixed feelings on one way trails at boyette? one thing i love out there is that there are so many loops to switch up to. But, i also dont want to get plowed by a guy on a mongoose. not so sure... :-\

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 08:07:40 AM »
The way I always ride is to take the double track and make the left going towards upper lochness, then Randy's trail, then go do gator pit and Golf Cart, and we use Sidewinder to come back to Randy's. This way I avoid most of the meadows, which I don't reall care for. If you try to ride in the other side by Baby Nessie you can't hit all the little side options which are 1 way already. JMO
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 08:34:45 AM »
am i the only one with mixed feelings on one way trails at boyette? one thing i love out there is that there are so many loops to switch up to. But, i also dont want to get plowed by a guy on a mongoose. not so sure... :-\
The way I always ride is to take the double track and make the left going towards upper lochness, then Randy's trail, then go do gator pit and Golf Cart, and we use Sidewinder to come back to Randy's. This way I avoid most of the meadows, which I don't reall care for. If you try to ride in the other side by Baby Nessie you can't hit all the little side options which are 1 way already. JMO
By changing to one way on some of the trails - others will remain two-way where possible - it will be safer and hopefully more enjoyable for all.  Right now people are bombing through sections with blind turns not even thinking that someone could be coming from the other direction doing the same thing, or a family out for a leisure ride and :::BAMMM!:::oh that hurt.  The Quadrants (plans for making it better), Palmetto, Vista Ridge, West Meadow, East Meadow, Woods Trail connector, half of SWAMP Thing past entrance to RL, and hopefully Golf Cart will be two-way.
Loch Ness, Inner Loch Ness, Upper Loch Ness, Baby Nessie, Sidewinder and half of SWAMP Thing leading up to RL, and Spider Berm will be changed to one-way.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 09:07:23 AM »
Garry, what about leaving the 1st half of sidewinder two way to leave the option of riding it back after finishing Ridge Line? I think that a lot of riders take that route versus heading out Swampthing to woods trail and eventually the Meadows.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 09:08:54 AM »
Head on collisions are one of the reasons I like to ride in the back of a pack.  That and the fact that I'm slow  ;D
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 09:13:36 AM »
Garry, what about leaving the 1st half of sidewinder two way to leave the option of riding it back after finishing Ridge Line? I think that a lot of riders take that route versus heading out Swampthing to woods trail and eventually the Meadows.
Not all lost if Sidewinder is not kept 2-way.  You can take the road against the fence to make it back to the Abyss area.  But if you ride Ridgeline, you are gonna want to go to Gary's loop.  Is short and very twisty.  So if you do Gary's and don't want to take Wood's trail and Swamp Thing is one way, then you have no choice but to tough it out on Woods Trail.  So I hope Swamp Thing is kept two way.  No road to take you from Gary's back to start of Ridgeline.

We definately need one-way on some of these trails.  My last two trips there in weekday evenings have confirmed if for me.  Road parking only and tons of traffic on SST, loch ness, and Golf Cart.  Two close calls.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 09:16:27 AM by SandPine »

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 09:21:49 AM »
I think there is enough line of site on that section of Sidewinder to remain two way. If spiderberm goes oneway, it only makes sense to do the same with Golfcart as these trails parralell each other.There are several blind turns on GC for a mishap.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 09:24:13 AM »
Exiting Ridgeline you can take the upper two-track along the fence back to Abbys.  Taking Sidewinder/SWAMP Thing to Garry's Loop you can return on a new path to be announced back to the two-track to Abyss. Or you can man up and ride everything!  ;D
j/k

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 09:26:27 AM »
Mandatory trail bells  ;D
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 09:59:22 AM »
save all the one way signs and just put up some of those big round mirrors on blind turns.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 12:43:58 PM »
I've had some very close calls on Golfcart, not as many as on Sidewinder though. But since those trails basically paralled each other I thought it made sense to make them and out and back loop. :) :)
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Advertisement: