Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Gator hazards  (Read 3079 times)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
Gator hazards
« on: March 12, 2009, 07:49:20 PM »
Graham from Outside Sport makes this Gator his beeatch as he yells at the fat bastard to get the heck out of the way as he cruises past this survivor from  the prehistoric era. The Gator responded negatively at Graham for not showing respect to the ancient lineage of this beast.

" Not this time, Lance"

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: Gator hazards
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 09:21:01 PM »
Kind of looks like Art in the morning  ;D

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 09:55:42 PM »
yelling or none, I notice the gator is not giving the berth, Graham is...so IMHO      ...Gator 1 - Graham 0

:P
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 10:01:50 PM »
I ran into that one on the North Creek hard option for the first time the other day. Makes you think twice about some of those blind corners.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 10:25:02 PM »
Holy Crap!

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
That was a pretty unnecessary risk he took there...I mean correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't that gator, if it wanted to, have accelerated in the blink of an eye and taken him and his bike down?

Offline jbennardo

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2010 Giant XTC29er1
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 11:04:25 PM »
I ran into that one on the North Creek hard option for the first time the other day. Makes you think twice about some of those blind corners.
That was you? hahaha... Me and my two buddies were right with you. That was a big gator. The funniest was when we heard the second one in the water and we all tripped over each other trying to leave.  ;D

Offline Reckless_Kelly

• First Bike
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 11:06:24 PM »
Last Saturday one came out of the water after me on North Creek, standard trail on the peninsula (where all the buzzards hang out in the trees). Luckily I didn't stop to look at the buzzards there. He was pissed and chased me for about 15ft!

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 11:14:28 PM »
That was a pretty unnecessary risk he took there...I mean correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't that gator, if it wanted to, have accelerated in the blink of an eye and taken him and his bike down?
March April May is gator mating season.  They are most aggressive during that time.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 11:22:30 PM »
That was you? hahaha... Me and my two buddies were right with you. That was a big gator. The funniest was when we heard the second one in the water and we all tripped over each other trying to leave.  ;D

Wasn't me because the there were only two people stopped on the trail when my buddy and I pulled up (older guy and a newbie). Funny thing is that my friend fell into the water right at that difficult root section on North Creek hard option and then we see that gator a few minutes later. He was super bummed that he had to finish our ride with soaking wet shoes. His bike went totally under water.

And if that wasn't bad enough his bike had a major failure about an hour later. Took it to the bike shop covered in seaweed  ;D
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline jbennardo

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2010 Giant XTC29er1
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 11:39:13 PM »
We decided to try the harder option on North Creek and rode out to that peninsula. There was another group of three guys and we all stopped dead in our tracks when we saw that gator's snout poking from around the corner.
The one guy said, "if that sucker starts moving, I'm gonna run like a bitch" hahaha

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 12:37:09 AM »
you're absolutely right, he could have shredded his wheel in doing so..or his left leg which ever it got ahold of first.

Right now isn't a good time to be in the woods period, This is the time of year that rattlesnakes, come out of their winter hibernation, and are hungry so they are on the prowl for food, also they just spent the last few months in a cold den, they will be out in the sunny areas, we call mountain bike trails.

Gators, are all looking to mate, and will run any living thing off right now, as opposed to running away as they would normally do. I would seriously consider leaving your dog at home this time of year when going to Boyette...just my two cents.
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 06:47:49 AM »
SHOULD HAVE JUMPED ITS BACK.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 08:37:18 AM »
I think he should have bunny hopped it.  Would've made for a much more interesting story/pic  ;D
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 08:39:46 AM »
Road riding you get chased by the neighborhood dog - not so in mountain biking!

Advertisement: