Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Squiggy results...  (Read 10797 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Squiggy results...
« on: March 16, 2009, 09:00:47 AM »
From Julianne:

..... will be posted later  tonight.
   I want to thank everybody who came out to the  race.    I also want to thank all the VOLUNTEERS who spent their  free time on a Saturday to help this race be fun for everybody else.  I  especially want to thank Ali Wells of Red Trail Racing for scoring the  event.  It sure took a lot of weight off my shoulders.  She sent me  the results last night and I'll review them later this afternoon after I get  home from work.   Unfortunately, there was some course cutting after  the ditch before Grandpa. Some riders turned right against the advice of an  arrow (and tape for the first person).  There were also complaints (not to  me) of riders wearing earphones with music playing loud enough to not hear  approaching riders' requests to pass.  There also were Sport riders racing  on Beginner teams.    There are posted rules dealing with all of these  issues (see General Rules at http://www.swampclub.org/squiggy.htm ),  except for the ear phones which was discussed at the rider's meeting.   Unfortunately, I didn't refer to my rules when I made my decisions on what  to do about the course cutting.  I couldn't enforce the Sport rider rule  with somebody who registered the day of the event since I didn't have internet  access to check riders' race histories.     So...I'll be trying to call all racers involved in  these issues.  If you think you were affected by any of these events,  please email me back with your phone number.   Thanks, Julianne
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 11:10:37 PM by Forum Manager »

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: Squiggy results...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 09:18:01 AM »
Earphones...during a race???  Wow...you'd think that you wouldn't have to say anything about that, but I guess we give people too much credit.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 09:37:54 AM »
Earphones...during a race???  Wow...you'd think that you wouldn't have to say anything about that, but I guess we give people too much credit.
Yeah, dude standing next to me at the Lemans start had earphones plugged in both ears. Barely acknowledged people near him telling him the rules that were just announced.  Part of competing is playing by the rules.  Guess some folks simply aren't capable of that.

naked indian

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 09:40:49 AM »
Yeah, dude standing next to me at the Lemans start had earphones plugged in both ears. Barely acknowledged people near him telling him the rules that were just announced.  Part of competing is playing by the rules.  Guess some folks simply aren't capable of that.

My apologies Garry, I accept that I broke the rules and will abide by any sanctions placed against my solo six hour win.....

...wait, I didnt even race this race...carry on....

What if it was a race radio?  You know I have used those before in a race, of course it only did take up one ear.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 09:57:19 AM »
Does this affect or change the results from Saturday?

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 09:58:13 AM »
Course cutting late in the race should have been dealt with a DQ.  No excuses for following someone and didn't see it.  That late in the race everyone had already gone through there at least once and no way you would have forgotten to do the left turn to grampa instead of right to the ditch.  DQ's!   I may have been affected if this was on toward the end of the race.  As I finished, I saw some already finished who I know were behind me and I was never passed by them.  Oh well, I don't know what classes there were in. 

You can see on some of the pictures of several riders wearing headphones.  DQ'ed them too.  This was clear.  In our first lap, I was behind Roamy and he was asking to pass and the guy couldn't hear him.  After many times of asking he started screaming.  I along with others joined in on the screams and he finally heard us.  It was funny cuz he was a good runner but slow rider.  You can pick those people out by looking at the pictures of the mass start :-)

I had fun though.  Thanks to all who volunteered and even helped me in one way or another.  Specially the cheering as I came by and went out for another lap of corporal rooty "ala swamp" punishment.  ;)

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
I was disappointed that I couldn't wear my headphones...because it does make a world of difference when trying to stick to a steady pace..but I was manly enough to accept that I couldn't and I put mine away...And I seen a few spots that looked like there was tracks indicating someone took a shortcut, but I wasn't sure, and didn't witness it personally, or I would have said something. My team was one of the slowest most undertrained teams out there, and if we can ride the full course, so can everyone else.

I had two pro-level guys trying to pass me and another amateur right at the end of techno pig, and I ended up having to say something to them to the effect of "Guys if you give us 15 seconds the trail opens up in about 100 feet, and you guys will have plenty of room, without running me and him into the palmettos"

he made an angry grunt and passed us anyway.

so I forced him to ride in the palmettos to do it. :D He almost crashed, and he shredded some palm fronds in his attempt..yeah real classy, shred our trails and our foliage, so you don't lose 4 seconds.

I almost wish the advanced riders, rode in the morning, and beginners in the afternoon, or vice versa..
Its hard enough on beginners without pro's riding up your bum, no matter how fast you go, they are faster...and this is the second year in a row, I have encountered rude, and snobby racers in this race..Now the MTB'er in me, wants to be nice to everyone, and share in the kindred spirit of what we do..but the raging competitive, testosterone laced adrenaline junkie in me, wants to shove these guys into an oak tree as they pass me, making comments..Lukily for them, the cool headed side of me prevails most of the time. But separating the pros from the joes would benefit all of us, i think.  8)
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Luis

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 10:33:20 AM »
And now the whining, protests and accusations begin! Gotta love Mondays after a MTB race!

Offline JohnnyB

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Single Track Mind
  • My Bike: '06 Kona Coiler
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 10:33:42 AM »
Where are the pictures from the event?  I can't find them on the Squiggy page.
FrAnKenBiKe V2.0 - Payed Forward

http://bikesboardsandbeer.blogspot.com/

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 10:34:10 AM »
sandpine, i was one of the involved riders. sometime just before i came to techno pig on my FIRST lap the tape had been broken and i as well as many others did not see it and followed the next arrow we saw. i knew something was askew within seconds of coming in at a 37 minute lap, so we went to the desk and made it known. later they found there was a breach in the course taping and corrected the problem. How many went through there not even having a clue???!! For my first lap they added four minutes which was determined by my second lap of 41 minutes. This was not the fault of the riders who were just following the course put  in front of them on their forst lap! I was also syuck behind a rider with earphones for a half mile pleading and yelling to get by... no easy answers... :(

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 10:38:36 AM »
Where are the pictures from the event?  I can't find them on the Squiggy page.

See my post about pictures.....

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 10:39:52 AM »
Right, FIRST lap is understandable and glad to see it was dealt with appropriately.  But if people were cutting course LATE in the day, that should be handle a bit more harse specially if done purposely. 

Luis,
I prefer the term "Lap-o-meter analysis."  This might go on until Tuesday when results get posted.   ;D

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
Re: Squiggy results...Big Thanks to Everyone
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 10:53:12 AM »
Great Job SWAMPers!!!
Great job Red Trail Racing manning the time!!

Congrats to everyone who met or exceeded their goals, for the rest there are still plenty of local races this year.
Good to see a lot of new and old riders out there racing their hearts out (or lungs).

Offline MtKillanewbieDH

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
  • Favorite Trail: BullJake
  • My Bike: Trucker
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2009, 11:14:43 AM »
I had a great time at the event but was sad to hear that there was course cutting going on :(  The no-headphones rule should be a no-brainer but i guess some mtbers have no brains.

I can guarantee that I was not a part of any course cutting and I believe that Scott can say the same. Riders should have a responsibility to know the course and should be held responsible for cutting even if there were merely 'following the pack'.  Remember the "everybody else was doing it" excuse is never a good one.

Though the squirrels did not replicate last year's miracle, we rode strong and did 8 speedy laps.  Congratulations to all who competed and thanks to mother nature for providing such a beautiful day!!
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx
Simplify and add lightness - Colin Chapman

naked indian

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2009, 11:17:37 AM »
I had a great time at the event but was sad to hear that there was course cutting going on :(  The no-headphones rule should be a no-brainer but i guess some mtbers have no brains.

I can guarantee that I was not a part of any course cutting and I believe that Scott can say the same. Riders should have a responsibility to know the course and should be held responsible for cutting even if there were merely 'following the pack'.  Remember the "everybody else was doing it" excuse is never a good one.

Though the squirrels did not replicate last year's miracle, we rode strong and did 8 speedy laps.  Congratulations to all who competed and thanks to mother nature for providing such a beautiful day!!

I have to say I agree.  Course cutting should result in a DQ.

Advertisement: