Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Advice on Doom  (Read 7765 times)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Advice on Doom
« on: March 18, 2009, 09:41:34 PM »
Stopped today to check out the high side Doom drop and it really didn't look so bad so a couple of us push our bikes up to the top, stopped, repositioned and then dropped in . I rolled up it a few times but couldn't seem to get the bike pointed in the right direction to deal with the sketchy first step down. Anyone bothering to do the high side drop? If so are there and pointers as to how to make that super sharp turn around the tree? I've seen Krunnch do it a few times but he always stalls out up top (feet still on pedals) leans up against the tree and then drops. Looks like if you keep your bike rolling around the corner and go a little wide you'll end up in the ferns. Btw, we saw an otter playing right at the bottom of the Doom drop. Very cool to watch those little guys and nice to know that it's not only Boyette that has them.

If people aren't really taking the high side due to it's condition I'd love to go out there with a shovel (with trail boss approval of course) and dig out a bit of the back wall so we can get the bike turned around to face the downside. If people are making it and like the challenge then I'll just keep trying until I make it or break something.

Today was a good day regardless because I finally quit being a wuss and hit that gnarly drop on one of the hard options of Moonscape. It's the one towards the end of the high ridgeline that runs parallel to the easy option and just about dumps you out at the grass path back to the parking lot if you stay straight. That drop has been messing with my head for some time since I about killed myself on the last attempt. It did help that I saw a guy hit it last Saturday on a old ass hardtail that barely had any front suspension.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: Advice on Doom
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 06:36:59 AM »
The key to that spot for me is to carry as much speed up to the tree as I can.  I seem to avoid that stall feeling by carrying a little more speed, and it gives me less time for second thoughts.  It is smooth when you go through it, imho.  Maybe we can hook up for a ride this weekend.

Offline stumpy

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog 29er
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 07:23:29 AM »
I'm with eclark. Take enough speed to get up, then get the front wheel committed, rolling down. Then sit back and hold on and let er rip! It's breathtaking the first few times, then it's like riding a bike ;)

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 08:08:29 AM »
Walk up to it, take a look, change your mind, and walk back down.  :D

J/K
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 08:31:34 AM »
I quit doing that one awhile back. For me the risk/reward just isn't worth it. I've seen some bad crashes there also. I don't like turning into a drop like that. If your gonna do it you have to commit 100% and don't hesitate.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Reckless_Kelly

• First Bike
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 01:07:48 PM »
I stalled out there the first time and came tumbling down the hill (we got it on video if I can find it!!!), but since then it's become second nature. Just carry the speed, go a little high and right around the tree and then hang on for the downhill. I still get spooked a little by the root and rocks in the middle of the drop in before the tree, though.

Offline jbennardo

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2010 Giant XTC29er1
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 03:05:43 PM »
Walk up to it, take a look, change your mind, and walk back down.  :D

J/K
correction.... work up the stones to ride moonscape.... struggle to get to Doom, push my bike up the climb, crap myself then wonder why I even entered.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 04:37:54 PM »
Carry toilet paper in your Camelbak to wipe when you crap yourself.  :D
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline jbennardo

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 04:54:49 PM »
Carry toilet paper in your Camelbak to wipe when you crap yourself.  :D
drip dry  8)
but that's a good idea in general since lately i've had to scoot my but across the dirt at Boyette to clean up because there's never any TP in the portolette  ;D

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 09:12:46 PM »
The key to that spot for me is to carry as much speed up to the tree as I can.  I seem to avoid that stall feeling by carrying a little more speed, and it gives me less time for second thoughts.  It is smooth when you go through it, imho.  Maybe we can hook up for a ride this weekend.

I'm doing a super relaxed late start ride at Boyette Saturday due to my buddy coming over from St. Pete. Maybe I'll be up for Sunday though?

Offline jbennardo

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 09:17:54 PM »
Cat, we'll be there about 3 or so Saturday afternoon. Look us up if you want or just to say hello. I'll have the red stumpy that creaks. :D

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 09:19:33 PM »
So do you guys who are hitting Doom like it just the way it is or would you be open to putting a little maintenance into the launch pad? I certainly don't like to dumb down the trails but part of me has to agree with SFG. I totally consider risk vs payoff when riding.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 09:27:32 PM »
Cat, we'll be there about 3 or so Saturday afternoon. Look us up if you want or just to say hello. I'll have the red stumpy that creaks. :D

No way you're catching me on that helmet cam! People on this forum may be under the impression that I'm a good rider and I don't want to do anything to change that illusion. 8)

If we end up seeing you out there I hope you like long breaks and trash talking. Might be done riding by like 4:00 though since my buddy is well out of shape and rides strictly for fun. I'm thinking I'll be there around 11:00-11:30.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 12:08:45 AM »
IMO, that whole section, from the rocky stepup on to the end is the best section of trail in FL. The only thing that comes close is the birdnest section at Santos. This is without including Jimmy's trail of course. I wouldn't hesitate to ride it if you could get square to the turn, being 225+ I don't get much off camber traction. There are people still riding it though. I bet 75% of the people that ride Moonscape don't ride the Doom section though. And I bet that 50% of those don't do that high line.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Reckless_Kelly

• First Bike
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 06:10:00 AM »
being 225+ I don't get much off camber traction

I weigh about the same, and I never have a problem with the traction there, you've just got to maintain the speed and make the turn smoothly.

Advertisement: