Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: X-Games trail crew?  (Read 5066 times)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
X-Games trail crew?
« on: March 20, 2009, 01:07:15 AM »

Wondering if we can get a small group of trail workers together who want to work exclusively on repairing/improving the hardest trails that Alafia has to offer. Although I have very little trail work experience, the main problem I see is sharing the equipment (motorized wheel barrel) with the crew that is working on the new Roller Coaster and Moonscape additions. I can only imagine that the trail work will have to be done on the same day as the official work day at Alafia so that any actual changes can be approved by the trail boss.

I've heard that the Ridgeriders had to get involved in order to re-open Gatorback but there is certainly no reason for that since most people I've ridden with in the Swamp enjoy riding the hard trails more so than that the easier stuff.

Seems like if there was a loosely organized group of X-games generation type individuals who discussed and repaired the trails that they like to ride we'd have a lot less to complain about.

For the record, I'm not talking about building huge jumps that are obviously man made or boardwalks up in the trees.....although that would be great.

Post up if you like this idea. I've already thought of 5-6 things that need attention on Gatorback and Moonscape
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: X-Games trail crew?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 07:47:24 AM »
There is already a small group of us (X-gamers as you put it) that attend the workdays that like advanced trails. Come out and join in. Right now there is work going on adding to Rollercoaster and Moonscape that IMO has the potential to be some of the best trail out there for advanced level riding.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 07:56:49 AM »
I think what catman was trying to say SFG was he wants to address parts of the high side of doom and I personally want to address the erosion on the high moonscape ridgeline trail.

That being said, I have been trying to build up more volunteer hours this year and was hoping something would have materialized this weekend for the rollercoaster option work, but it appears that isn't going to happen. Sometimes I wish we could go out there and work more than just the first Saturday of the month, after the last workday I attended, I have been itching to get back out there and do some more work. It really was enjoyable and it provided a sense of pride I did not expect.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 08:48:52 AM »
My schedule (actually more like my wife's schedule) is starting to stabilize so I should be able to attend a workday or two in the upcoming months.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 08:49:39 AM »
Sometimes I wish we could go out there and work more than just the first Saturday of the month, after the last workday I attended, I have been itching to get back out there and do some more work. It really was enjoyable and it provided a sense of pride I did not expect.
Get with Art about alternate workdays.  He sometimes is out there and needs help on other days.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 09:01:53 AM »
I think doom is perfect right now personally, what are you looking at fixing on the ridge?  The first climb to the right of the tree would be nice to work, but there is no good dirt source close.  This weekend is no good for me to work, but maybe we can get together tomorrow or sunday for a ride and take a look at this stuff.  Right now we have 2 sections of harder trail in progress that I would love to see get completed as planned.  If we get a bunch of people committed to hard trails we can arrange time to work on it.  Chris, Josh?  You going to be at Alafia tomorrow?  I can't ride for long but would love to come out and see what you are looking at. 

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 09:09:43 AM »
If we want to do alternate trail days all we'd have to do is get with Art. We can't go out there and do whatever, it still has to fit the guidelines laid out by the land managers. Maybe a few of us can set up something fairly regular to go out on a Saturday and do some maintenance so we can continue building new stuff on the regular workday.

Chris, where in Doom are you wanting to fix? Also, as far as I know that ridgeline isn't an official trail, that is why it isn't maintained. I might be wrong on that, maybe Art or Garry can chime in on that.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 09:10:46 AM »
I think doom is perfect right now personally, what are you looking at fixing on the ridge?  The first climb to the right of the tree would be nice to work, but there is no good dirt source close.  This weekend is no good for me to work, but maybe we can get together tomorrow or sunday for a ride and take a look at this stuff.  Right now we have 2 sections of harder trail in progress that I would love to see get completed as planned.  If we get a bunch of people committed to hard trails we can arrange time to work on it.  Chris, Josh?  You going to be at Alafia tomorrow?  I can't ride for long but would love to come out and see what you are looking at.

What time would be good for you to come out there Eric? I am referring to my three consecutive drops off the high ridgeline. They are getting extremely sandy and there has been removal of rocks that has caused some further wash out of the sand. Maybe a way to run some boards across to stop the sand from getting further pulled down the hill.

On the high side of Doom, I was mainly referring to bench cutting perhaps another 12" into that hill adjacent to the tree so that it can be banked into. I don't have a problem with that hill itself, it is easily doable. I just cannot hit it with a continuous flow without having to re-engage at the tree.

I can be out there anytime tomorrow before 2PM.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 09:19:18 AM by KRUNNCH »
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 09:11:37 AM »
I think this is great.  I might offer this - grab some knowledge online (there are some links on the IMBA site) about building sustainable trails. Hoping not to sound condescending, but there is more than just cutting through an area to make a sustainable trail.  Building a well thought out sustainable trail lasts a whole lot longer, takes less maintenance after erosion and poor user use, or over use.  You can then make it as hard as it needs to be, but with a sustainable base.  Also watch for "Trail Building Classes" offered by IMBA - they recently had one at Santos, we've had them here before - and go check it out.  You get to learn with the best, and ride the trails you work on!  Having a good discussion prior to trail building on what is to be expected helps the understanding process too, so when the trail bosses are discussing what to do that day - ask questions if needed.  Sometimes the desired plan doesn't pan out, so alterations happen and a trail can experience a few changes to make it right.
With more people stepping up to the plate to build and MAINTAIN the trails once built this will only make the trails and this club a much better product for all to enjoy.  Let the excitement build! 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 09:16:56 AM by Garry »

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 09:13:22 AM »
If we want to do alternate trail days all we'd have to do is get with Art. We can't go out there and do whatever, it still has to fit the guidelines laid out by the land managers. Maybe a few of us can set up something fairly regular to go out on a Saturday and do some maintenance so we can continue building new stuff on the regular workday.

Chris, where in Doom are you wanting to fix? Also, as far as I know that ridgeline isn't an official trail, that is why it isn't maintained. I might be wrong on that, maybe Art or Garry can chime in on that.

Definitely on your first paragraph. I wouldn't work out there unless prior approval was in place. On your second paragraph, see my post just above this one. I am not sure about that trail being official, but it isn't entirely a bad trail. Just last weekend a guy on a hardtail hit it with ease, so it should not be a question of difficulty. I like the fact that it is quite hidden up and to the left, I just feel it needs some TLC to keep the sand from completely eroding down the hill and onto the flat bridge below.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 09:16:20 AM »
I think this is great.  I might offer this - grab some knowledge online (there are some links on the IMBA site) about building sustainable trails. Hoping not to sound condescending, but there is more than just cutting through an area to make a sustainable trail.  Building a well thought out sustainable trail lasts a whole lot longer, takes less maintenance after erosion and poor user use, or over use.  You can then make it as hard as it needs to be, but with a sustainable base.  Also watch for "Trail Building Classes" offered by IMBA - they recently had one at Santos, we've had them here before - and go check it out.  You get to learn with the best, and ride the trails you work on!  Having a good discussion prior to trail building on what is to be expected helps the understanding process too, so when the trail bosses are discussing what to do that day - ask questions if needed.  Sometimes the desired plan doesn't pan out, so alterations happen and a trail can experience a few changes to make it right.
With more people stepping up to the plate to build and MAINTAIN the trails once built this will only make the trails and this club a much better place product for all to enjoy.  Let the excitement build!

I totally understand Garry and no condescension taken. The few times I have worked out there, I generally spent most of my time listening to Art and his methods or Wes and why certain things needed to be done the way they were done. I am by far not an expert on building trail stability and strong bases, but I am definitely open to learning and building more trails.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 09:18:37 AM »
The first climb to the right of the tree would be nice to work, but there is no good dirt source close.

I'd be willing to dig the dirt from another source if we can find some relatively close and a halfway easy way to transport it.  I'd really like to try that right line.  I remember it being in much better shape than it is at the moment.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 09:20:59 AM »
The first climb to the right of the tree would be nice to work, but there is no good dirt source close.

I'd be willing to dig the dirt from another source if we can find some relatively close and a halfway easy way to transport it.  I'd really like to try that right line.  I remember it being in much better shape than it is at the moment.

Perhaps, Josh, Uber, Eric, Jason and myself could all meet out there early tomorrow and just ride moonscape and talk about this stuff? That way if any of this is possible, we could all have an understanding and pitch it to Art in a more concise manner.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 09:28:06 AM »
It would have to be after 12 for me.  I'll be at work until then.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 09:40:15 AM »
My plans for the morning just fell through. If you guys want to get together just say the word. I can think of a few spots on Gatorback that are OK right now, but need some attention before summer or the fix will be 10x bigger like we had to do on Shelly's Loop.

Advertisement: