Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Trail building concerns  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Trail building concerns
« on: March 20, 2009, 05:27:27 PM »
There has been some complaints, discussion and mouth smacking about the last Alafia workday and problems with what was done on the option being built inside of Rollercoaster. I went there today to see with my own eyes what the hoopla was all about and met Art there.  We walked it and discussed what was going on with it.  We were actually able to only identify one area that wasn't looking like it fit the whole idea of a harder fun trail and it can be easily fixed with the realignment of the way the board will shore up the edge.

There were a couple of spots that could be considered "wide" as it sits now, but bear in mind it is far from a finished trail.  The actual line will be established and the peripheral edges will narrow up.  This base of a trail is what is initially needed to make a sustainable trail hold up against the harsh treatment that multiple users, inexperienced riders and busy weekends and/or weekday users can administer on a popular trail system.

Alafia, being so popular, gets more than it's share of destructive tendencies doled out by the many cyclists that hit it every day.  In my view the complaints about "4 foot wide" were unwarranted as this is an unfinished trail, and once completed the sustainable base will be covered and a fine line or path will evolve just as the base of a wonderful landscaping job is put in before the vegetation that hides it.

We are quite lucky to have some very talented individuals involved who use a wide variety of experience and knowledge both for the layout and long term finished product of a trail design in mind with all of the trails that we build for the masses.  As with any structure a solid base must first be established or put in place in order for the structure to hold, and this trail is no different.

I trust this answers any concerns that anyone has about the way things are done in regards to the long term effect of what we do as trail builders in seeing to the longevity and subsequent minimum maintenance of our trails, as we will continue to do our best to learn, correct, and prepare with each and every new trail that we build.

Garry Rosseter
SWAMP Club President
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 05:36:05 PM by Garry »

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
Re: Trail building concerns
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 07:22:16 PM »
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline Kentmcf

• First Bike
Re: Trail building concerns
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 06:23:01 PM »
I don't know what new section your talking about you guys must have the entrance well hidden at this point.I can't wait to ride it.
 I just want to let you know that I ride Alafia or Boyett every Sunday and I have NEVER EVER questioned the abilities of the Swamp Club trail builders.
I'm sorry to say that I haven't helped. I've just selfishly enjoyed the fruits of your labors but I am regularly impressed with the quality of the trails.
    I have ridden trails in Indiana where they have a HUGE budget to work with and they have nothing on you guys.
                       Thanks for some great Trails :D
                                        Kent

Advertisement: