Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Pimp my map  (Read 2941 times)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Pimp my map
« on: March 22, 2009, 06:03:39 PM »
Has anyone ever made up an Alafia map with the names of all these minor trail sections marked and located? Heard "no dab ridge" mentioned the other day and have never heard of that section. When we rode with Bikehard the other day he hadn't even noticed the entrance to Doom before then. Hell, it took me a while to remember which is Shelly's loop and and which is Franks loop. Seems like there is always difficulties on the forum when trying to describe a certain section of trail. I don't have full blown Adobe or I'd look into pimping out the map.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Pimp my map
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 06:45:17 PM »
Has anyone ever made up an Alafia map with the names of all these minor trail sections marked and located? Heard "no dab ridge" mentioned the other day and have never heard of that section. When we rode with Bikehard the other day he hadn't even noticed the entrance to Doom before then. Hell, it took me a while to remember which is Shelly's loop and and which is Franks loop. Seems like there is always difficulties on the forum when trying to describe a certain section of trail. I don't have full blown Adobe or I'd look into pimping out the map.
Let me see what I can squeeze in since I am updating the maps.  Honestly, I don't exactly where "No Dab" is.

Offline billnye

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • (crazy unicycle)
  • My Bike: 24x3 KH uni w/ 2spd Schlumpf hub
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 06:48:11 PM »
Pretty sure they're talking about the high-line ridge on Mooncape, with that one. (could be wrong)

billnye
John M

P.S. Not that I've heard it before, just gleaned from context at the time of mention.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 06:56:30 PM »
Pretty sure they're talking about the high-line ridge on Mooncape, with that one. (could be wrong)

billnye
John M

P.S. Not that I've heard it before, just gleaned from context at the time of mention.
Yes, I imagine it is by that tree where the trail appears to split with a major uphill to the left over roots, and a drop in to continue straight on with the rest of Moonscape with the slime green lake on your right.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 06:57:55 PM »
If "no dab ridge" is what I think it is, it's the climb up to the left of the tree and the subsequent high ridge that has the drop where you broke your helmet Catman.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline billnye

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • (crazy unicycle)
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 07:08:09 PM »
Man, it's been a long time... I need to get out there again and re-assess.  I know I've been improving on a lot of other stuff, but that trail will still probably kick my ass. What kind of shape is Ol' Moonscape in nowadays? Has the dry hit that as hard as it has other spots?  Some stuff like the new line before the climb to Shelley's and the drop before the paver climb on Bridges is getting really rough with the lack of rain and the skidders.

Offtopic to the thread, but related to that thought... I wonder if the second half of Bridges would benefit from a bail-out to the multi, right before the paver section.  Right now anybody who's in over their head and gotten that far doesn't really have much option from there, it seems. I know the old line down over the roots got pushed back open pretty quickly, and most of the erosion on the new drop seems to be from people riding the brake all the way down the low point of the line, which undercuts the "below the tree" line's stability.  Just a thought...

billnye
John M

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 07:14:10 PM »
Man, it's been a long time... I need to get out there again and re-assess.  I know I've been improving on a lot of other stuff, but that trail will still probably kick my ass. What kind of shape is Ol' Moonscape in nowadays? Has the dry hit that as hard as it has other spots?  Some stuff like the new line before the climb to Shelley's and the drop before the paver climb on Bridges is getting really rough with the lack of rain and the skidders.

Offtopic to the thread, but related to that thought... I wonder if the second half of Bridges would benefit from a bail-out to the multi, right before the paver section.  Right now anybody who's in over their head and gotten that far doesn't really have much option from there, it seems. I know the old line down over the roots got pushed back open pretty quickly, and most of the erosion on the new drop seems to be from people riding the brake all the way down the low point of the line, which undercuts the "below the tree" line's stability.  Just a thought...

billnye
John M

I think Moonscape has fared better than some of the other trails with the lack of rain.  On the other hand, I also think it's because less people ride it.  And the ones that do, aren't the type to grab a handful of brake and drag the rear wheel.

You're right about the line before the paver climb on bridges.  It's suffered a lot.  However, there is a bail out to the multi trail right after you get to the top and before you hit the first "whoop"  It's off to the right, but you're probably blazing through there so fast that you miss it.  ;)   Or are you thinking of a bail out before the paver to keep people from tearing up that downhill?
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 07:14:16 PM »
Moonscape is in fantastic shape right now, a little too smooth  ;D  but other than that in good shape.

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline billnye

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • (crazy unicycle)
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 07:26:21 PM »
Uber: bingo. Something to let the people who look at that downhill and pucker ride out with a little dignity.  To "bravely [run] away", as Monty Python would say.  As far as blazing by... no, I'm only now getting to the point where the first couple uphills on the whoops are looking do-able... slow unicycle on the downhill equals struggle unicycle on the uphill the way those are designed ;D  I am getting closer to making at least the 2nd one, in the past month.  I got over the root today without much problem, but then planted into the rock  above instead of going around.

SFG: "a little too smooth" bodes well for me, in terms of getting re-acquainted at least.  I've been doing the first little bit of Moonscape up to just before Kill-a-newbie, at the tail end of my trips through Rollercoaster, and that's certainly been getting easier and easier compared to what it looked a year ago or so, whenever I last gave myself a good try on Moonscape.  Still haven't gotten the balls to try the drop at K-A-Newbie, but after a few trips through Ridgeline now, maybe it'll look a little different.

billnye
John M

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 07:33:37 PM »

billnye
John M

Yes, I imagine it is by that tree where the trail appears to split with a major uphill to the left over roots, and a drop in to continue straight on with the rest of Moonscape with the slime green lake on your right.

That's the one according to what I've heard.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 07:46:40 PM »
A bail out where the wooden fence stands at the moment would make sense.  But then I'd have nothing to lean against and gather myself before I climbed the pavers.  ;)

Not sure how much it would prevent people from trying the downhill and paver climb though.  Some people just don't know when they're in over their heads.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline jbennardo

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2010 Giant XTC29er1
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 09:35:30 AM »
Garry, I'm a graphic designer by trade so if you need any help at all with files or file conversion or just need me to do some stuff for you in Illustrator, let me know. Also, back in the day, I helped with some of the "you are here" signs.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 10:30:28 AM »
A bail out where the wooden fence stands at the moment would make sense.  But then I'd have nothing to lean against and gather myself before I climbed the pavers.  ;)

Not sure how much it would prevent people from trying the downhill and paver climb though.  Some people just don't know when they're in over their heads.

It's an INTERMEDIATE trail! If someone can't go down that super smooth hill and climb that paved climb, it's a good place to work on their skills.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline billnye

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • (crazy unicycle)
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 11:15:18 AM »
SFG: To the extent that their "work on their skills" doesn't destroy the trail in question, I totally agree with that sentiment :)

Say what you will about us nutso unicyclers, but one thing we tend to be VERY comfortable with is the concept of walk-what-you-can't-ride, hehehe. It's quite easy to get off a unicycle, intentional or not ;D

billnye
John M

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 02:06:19 PM »

It's an INTERMEDIATE trail! If someone can't go down that super smooth hill and climb that paved climb, it's a good place to work on their skills.

I know it's an intermediate trail, it's just that it always made more sense to me to have the bailout before the paver climb and the whoops.  I wasn't saying we should change the trail or add another bailout.  8)
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Advertisement: