Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Hardest sections of any trail  (Read 2352 times)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
Hardest sections of any trail
« on: March 23, 2009, 11:03:12 AM »
1.entrance to the doom trail
2.back corner of moonscape after you do the climb and then the off camber sweeping turn to the left. Has nice roots right now to add to the challenge.
3. off camber to the rightswitchback at the river at the back corner of rockgarden. always an adventure.
4.Boulder sections at Santos
5. better not forget about the no- dab section. I don't even ride that, easy to forget. The climb and the last down-hill.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 11:07:10 AM by EllsRider »
" Not this time, Lance"

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: Hardest sections of any trail
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 11:14:46 AM »
I agree with the above and would add:

1.  Through the tree's and up the roots (Satan's Needle) on Sneaky Snake at Carter Road
2.  The uphill, left hand turn, and over the rock about 1/3rd the way through on Rattlesnake at Santos
3.  No dabs through the old Rock City trail at Santos (this is now part of the Vortex trail and includes a rocky downhill that squeezes you through a couple of rocks and little two garden sections - it ends before the two consecutvie ladder climb/rock drops thingies)
4.  Sandpine...the whole thing.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 11:15:20 AM »
1. Anything at Jimmy's. ;D

2. Climb out of lower line on Pandemonium on the SS.

3. Rock step-up into Doom section.

4. Paver climb on Gatorback.

5. Boulder section on Vortex.

6. Climb up the rocks on Anthill running it from the pit area towards Cowbone, almost at the end.

Those are about the only spots I don't make 9 out of 10 times on the local trails.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 11:17:04 AM »
although it no longer exists, I would add, triple dipper and Big gulp to that list
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 12:10:38 PM »
Some of you guys may chuckle, but up in Croom there's a new section of Drunken Monkey (still under construction a bit) that is very difficult.  Short, maybe only 40-50 yards, but very tricky.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 01:35:26 PM »
Some of you guys may chuckle, but up in Croom there's a new section of Drunken Monkey (still under construction a bit) that is very difficult.  Short, maybe only 40-50 yards, but very tricky.

Is it one of the sandy downhills? ;D

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 01:38:53 PM »

Is it face plant gulch?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 02:28:37 PM by Garry »

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 02:38:13 PM »

LOL....man, you hate that place don't you!   :)

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 02:49:56 PM »
Is it face plant gulch?
If I recall, it's about 1/3 of the way thru the trail if you're heading west into it from the 8M bailout point.  There is a large log laid across where the trail used to curve to the left, forcing the rider to go up on a narrow ridge kind of deal, which is quite tricky, sandy (what a shock!), and falls off on both sides.  Then, if you can make it thru that, you've got to climb up a real soft sandy patch that curves up slightly to the right before turning left as it approaches a man-made bridge that is "under construction" that will be another real tricky addition to the trail when it's done.

I was not able to clean this stretch of trail in this direction, even though I tried it a half dozen times.  Even if I was able to get thru the first tricky section, I was completely shot by the time I got half way up the sandy climb and would either spin out in the sand or just bail on it.

I was able to clean the thing coming back down in the other direction a couple of times, but with the sand and *face plant* factor, I was lucky I even did that -- the section really needs some shoring up and sand-repair IMHO.  It's really good and tough, but the sand makes it almost impossible going westbound, and very dangerous going back eastbound.  Again, just my opinion though -- I'm no technical superstar.   :)

Was this where you had your accident?  I know you mentioned where in Croom it was before, but my memory is shot...

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 02:52:09 PM »
My list of shame  :'(

Right Switchback, over the root and up the concrete to the boardwalk around the tree on Gatorback. Make it sometimes but hardly ever first try

Rock/concrete step up at the entrance to doom. Make it sometimes but never first try

Climb out of pandamonium on any of my bikes. Never make it but haven't tried lately

Center hard option at the tip of Big Momma's House. Tried once, made once, have witness  ;)

Right switchback at the tip of Franks loop when it's sandy. Sometimes dab,once in the water

Paver climb on Gatorback. Make often

Wobble Woodie at Carter. Made a few times out of several trys

High side drop near the end of Doom. Dropped in a few times but never rolled through it

Climb up to no dab ridge. Made it a few times to the left of the tree (not lately though)

Harsh downhill to drop off on no dab ridge. Made once, broken helmet on my first attempt

Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 02:57:57 PM »
Was this where you had your accident?  I know you mentioned where in Croom it was before, but my memory is shot...
No, sounds like it's past that.  After the rock lined right turn where there is Hard/Easier option then you drop into a gultch thern a hard turn left at a tree there WAS a place where you could do a series of down/up, down/up, down/up, only my last up kept going down. :o

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 03:06:41 PM »
No, sounds like it's past that.  After the rock lined right turn where there is Hard/Easier option then you drop into a gultch thern a hard turn left at a tree there WAS a place where you could do a series of down/up, down/up, down/up, only my last up kept going down. :o
Hmmm, odd -- I know of quite a few hard/easy options on the trails in the pits area, but at the moment I don't think there are any of those on Drunken Monkey.  Maybe blown down or something and I've missed those sections...

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 06:46:38 PM »
Damn, my list of shame is long, so I'll try and narrow it down to what gives me the MOST trouble

Jimmys-the whole thing

Alafia- on Gatorback: the boardwalk around the tree after the switchback
                             the paver climb
                             the last long sandy, rooty climb
         on Rockgarden: Frank's corner
         on Moonscape: Doom

Boyette- climb out of the lower line on Pandemonium
            the 2 miles back to the parking lot

Carter Rd- the fingers (even though I overcame most of my difficulties on them Sunday, I can't NOT include them since I had a hard time with them for so long)

Santos-  Boulder section on Vortex where I cracked my helmet  :'(

Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 07:21:00 PM »
Alafia - Moonscape:Climb into Doom, (Bill T has this mastered), Highline climb and drop off, mt. killa newbee
           Rockgarden: Franks Corner
           Gatorback:  Climb w/ pavers and rocks, climb onto boardwalk (i take the left line)

Boyette - I'm with Triple T on the 2 mile trip back to parking lot

Carter - climb out of sneaky snake, sometimes easy sometimes not. 

Santos - Rock Gardens section towards the end of Vortex red loop
             Entrance to Magic Mountain especially when I am warming up.
2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 06:57:08 PM »
Grandpa, that one root ;)

Where is Franks Corner on Rockgarden?  Believe it or not, I just rode that trail for my first time last Sunday.  The climbs are definitely a challenge for me on the rigid SS, but its very fun.  It really is two different trails.  The half closest to Sand Pine is very fun on my bike, the second half, not so much.
07 Redline Monocog Flight 29'er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)
07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3 (The One That Started It All)

Advertisement: