Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Bicycle GT IT1  (Read 1647 times)

Offline mireskatinas

• Forum Newbie
Bicycle GT IT1
« on: March 23, 2009, 01:48:43 PM »
hi,
Couple weeks ago i find new bike technology. it called GT IT1 ? im starting to collect information about it... but information about this bike is low....
maybe someone has this bicycle? or your friend ? if so please tell me about... because i wanna to talk with person who has it.

here is some links
http://f237b859.picturesetc.net
http://www.squidoo.com/BicycleGTIT1

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Bicycle GT IT1
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 02:26:50 PM »
Back when Gary Turner was alive and ran the company GT was one of the best bike designs around.  Now that Pacific has it, well, not so much.  I liked my GT back then, but prefer to steer clear these days.

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 02:35:46 PM »
that design is Way over complicated, and at 44lbs it might as well be a motorcycle :o .

if you want technology like that then look into SRAM's hammerschmidt cranks, and there new I-9 internal hub :o
if I ever have the money I'd go 1x9 using it. just hope they make them so they can use trigger shifters.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 03:09:10 PM »
that design is Way over complicated, and at 44lbs it might as well be a motorcycle :o .

44lbs is right in the sweet spot for a bike like that...actually somewhat light considering it is a gearbox bike.

if you want technology like that then look into SRAM's hammerschmidt cranks, and there new I-9 internal hub :o
if I ever have the money I'd go 1x9 using it. just hope they make them so they can use trigger shifters.

Hammerschmidt is neat and all, but with it, you still have the most vulnerable part of a bike's drivetrain, the rear derailleur, hanging off the bike of your bike.  Gearbox and Rohloff equiped bikes eliminate this.  Hammerschmidt only gets ride of the front derailleur, only offers 2 gears, requires ISCG tabs, and emulates riding in the small ring which most bikes are designed around.

SRAM's 9 speed internally geared hub is kinda neat, but it weighs 4lbs and I don't know if it can withstand the abuse/torque generated while mountain biking as these hubs are designed for city commuting/comfort bikes.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 03:21:13 PM by BillT »
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 04:30:21 PM »
SRAM's 9 speed internally geared hub is kinda neat, but it weighs 4lbs and I don't know if it can withstand the abuse/torque generated while mountain biking as these hubs are designed for city commuting/comfort bikes.

Leroy was showing me the mountain biking disc version a few weeks ago online, it was made to take the abuse. and yes it weighs 4 lbs, but thats for everything. think of how much your rear hub, cassette, deraileur, and extra chain links weigh. so your not really gaining 4lbs.

I've met 3 guys who had the hammerschmidt cranks, they all said its awsome and would never go back.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 04:43:18 PM »
With XT level everything (hub, cassette, derailleur) - you are going to gain over 2lbs at the @ss end of your bike by going with the internally geared setup - so don't think it is any kind of wash as far as weight goes.

I think gearbox setup are the way of the future and hopefully we'll have sub 35lb gearbox'ed AM FS bikes out there one day, but I'm not expecting it any time soon.

Offline LTS guy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • VIVA LA LTS!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 07:29:27 PM »
Honda had an internally geared model (RN 01) back in 03', it looked sick..but it was a full on DH rig and not meant to be light.

I loved the design, but for all I know it didn't work worth a darn
When you ride so far out that you hear no traffic, no people...nothing..

zen.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 07:34:55 PM »
The Honda bike was actually very successful on the World Cup DH circuit...it was a team only bike and never sold to the public.

Advertisement: