Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Giant Reign X2  (Read 4612 times)

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Giant Reign X2
« on: March 23, 2009, 03:10:37 PM »
Anyone have any experience with this rig?  I'm looking to spend around 2K on a FS machine with a lot more travel than my Scalpel has, that will suite some of the technically tougher trails better.  This one seems to be well though of and fairly good value.

Here it is: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/mountain/2415/32132/zoom/

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Re: Giant Reign X2
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 03:19:50 PM »
I love Giant bikes and they have accounted for 75% of the bikes I've owned. I currently have an 07 Reign 2 with six inches of travel. The X2 pictured is way overkill unless you plan on riding the Vortex drops at Santos all the time or you want to ride mountain bike parks fairly often. My 07 Reign does pretty good at Alafia, Boyette, Carter, and Santos but even it is kinda overkill. My Trance was just a little to XC for my liking. I really like my Reign cause I can just point it where I want to go and let the suspension soak it up. It's a very forgiving bike and I enjoy riding more now that I've got it. I used to worry about my Trance and it wasn't without reason.....blew the shock out a few weeks ago.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 03:20:48 PM »
I had an 07 x1, I loved it, it was a perfect TOE bike, but I sold it to get my endure for XC trails when the TOE closed.  It is a heavy bike, but very fun.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 03:37:08 PM »
I think the choice of many right now is the newer Trance with 5 inches of travel. Good XC bike with enough travel for some gnary stuff minus Santos drops over a few feet high. What bike you need kinda depends trails you ride/plan to ride and how often you plan on leaving the ground.

Offline schmitty

• First Bike
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
If you plan on doing drops with it, its a good bike. If just for trail riding I would look elsewere.

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 04:22:25 PM »
I really like my Reign cause I can just point it where I want to go and let the suspension soak it up. It's a very forgiving bike and I enjoy riding more now that I've got it.
This is exactly what appeals to me about the X2.  However, now that you mention it, the 09 Reign 2, which I guess is the same as yours only 2 years on, looks really good also.  Approximately in the price range as well, and 6" of travel.  Hmmmm...

Here's the 09 Reign 2:  http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/mountain/2273/32129/zoom/

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 04:31:05 PM »
Now you're talking! Still a little much but if you want to jump at all or you're a heavy guy thats the weapon of choice. You can see a pic of my bike under "bike talk" on this forum if you'd like.

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 06:11:02 PM »
Now you're talking! Still a little much but if you want to jump at all or you're a heavy guy thats the weapon of choice. You can see a pic of my bike under "bike talk" on this forum if you'd like.
5-11, 180 at the moment (give or take).  I really want something in the arsenal with more travel and higher clearance for tougher terrain, which I've been getting into a bit more of late.  Speaking of that, how do you find the bottom bracket clearance?  One guy on mtbr was griping about that a little bit in one of the reviews...

Yours is a great looking bike -- just checked out the pic in the other thread.

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 07:22:16 PM »
i have an 07 Anthem2 now with 3.5". i was thinking about my next bike having a little more suspension, maybe the 5-6 range. i was liking the Reign's as well
Joe

"a smite a day keeps the trailbugs away"!

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 08:27:57 PM »
5-11, 180 at the moment (give or take).  I really want something in the arsenal with more travel and higher clearance for tougher terrain, which I've been getting into a bit more of late.  Speaking of that, how do you find the bottom bracket clearance?  One guy on mtbr was griping about that a little bit in one of the reviews...

Yours is a great looking bike -- just checked out the pic in the other thread.

Not sure how to find the BB height but I know that my Trance was basically dragging the BB on the ground. My pedals hit roots all the time. I almost never hit roots with the Reign but it doesn't exactly climb like the ole Trance.

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 09:25:31 PM »
i have an 07 Anthem2 now with 3.5". i was thinking about my next bike having a little more suspension, maybe the 5-6 range. i was liking the Reign's as well
Yeah, there's a guy up here (extreme bicycles) that sells them -- might have to go see if he's got one in stock I can look at.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 09:31:59 PM »
Don't forget that you may be able to rent before you buy at Aj's bikes, which isn't far from Alafia/Boyette.

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 12:40:34 PM »
Don't forget that you may be able to rent before you buy at Aj's bikes, which isn't far from Alafia/Boyette.
Good point -- thanks!  I'll give them a call and see if they've got one I can rent for a weekend.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 01:05:30 PM »
As Cat mentioned, you should also checkout the Trance X while your shopping, 5" of Maestro suspension in a lighter package than the Reign.

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 01:07:21 PM »
BB info can be found on the manufacturer's website, just look for geometery info.  If you're just bombing the trails around here and not doing a dedicated downhill/freeride rig then 5" of travel is enough travel to play rough here.  My Epiphany is a point and shoot weapon, it doesnt require much finesse.  I would think any bike with the same amount of travel would provide the same result.

Always rent before you buy...always.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Advertisement: