Author Topic: 1x8 conversion  (Read 954 times)

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
1x8 conversion
« on: March 26, 2009, 12:22:46 PM »
Well I finally did it, I got rid of my front shifter yesterday, my bike ,specialized hardrock comp disc, came with the shifter brake lever combos so I replaced it with a new avid brake lever. then I locked my front derailleur in place.

I took it for a ride this morning and it only jumped once when I hit a sand pit pretty hard. so to improve this and keep it from happening often I went to bent's and bought a shinny new unramped chainring (usually used for single speeds or down hill) and a chain watcher to replace the front derailluer. I also plan to remove the small ring and I'm thinking about cutting down my big ring to make a bash guard, I'll also take a few links out of the chain later today if I can.

I'm sure many of you are saying why 1x8, why not 1x9. well my bike came as a 24 speed and its not worth it to convert it to a 9 speed cassette, chain, derailleur, and shifter until I need to.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
Re: 1x8 conversion
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 12:28:28 PM »
I did the same thing on my big bike.

I bought (2) Spot black basguards 34T, (1) Blackspire Mono Veloce 34T Ring, (12) E-Thirteen super long chainring bolts. Then I put it all together on my my cranks and it sandwiched the chain between them. I then ran a Blackspire Stinger chainguide roller off the BB and it keeps the chain tight. Haven't had a slap, jump, or chain drop since I put the rig together.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2007 Giant Trance 1
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 12:41:30 PM »
Well I finally did it, I got rid of my front shifter yesterday, my bike ,specialized hardrock comp disc, came with the shifter brake lever combos so I replaced it with a new avid brake lever. then I locked my front derailleur in place.

I took it for a ride this morning and it only jumped once when I hit a sand pit pretty hard. so to improve this and keep it from happening often I went to bent's and bought a shinny new unramped chainring (usually used for single speeds or down hill) and a chain watcher to replace the front derailluer. I also plan to remove the small ring and I'm thinking about cutting down my big ring to make a bash guard, I'll also take a few links out of the chain later today if I can.

I'm sure many of you are saying why 1x8, why not 1x9. well my bike came as a 24 speed and its not worth it to convert it to a 9 speed cassette, chain, derailleur, and shifter until I need to.

That derailleur you removed wouldn't happen to be a top pull top swing with a 34.9 clamp would it? If so you wouldn't want to donate it for a good cause would you? Same cause as that fork is going to.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 04:21:54 PM »
That derailleur you removed wouldn't happen to be a top pull top swing with a 34.9 clamp would it? If so you wouldn't want to donate it for a good cause would you? Same cause as that fork is going to.

Bikepedia says my bike came with a Shimano Altus FD-M310-6, top swing

if it works for you, it's yours, you can even have the shifter/brake combo that goes with it if you need it and it works for you.

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 04:26:25 PM »
update: I took 5 minutes with my grinder and turned my big chainring into a pretty slick bashgaurd. then I took a few links out of the chain and put on the chain watcher/ jump guard. I'll try it tonight and hopefully it works out.

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2007 Giant Trance 1
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 04:55:44 PM »

Bikepedia says my bike came with a Shimano Altus FD-M310-6, top swing

if it works for you, it's yours, you can even have the shifter/brake combo that goes with it if you need it and it works for you.

Should have the clamp size stamped inside the clamp. 31.8 or 34.9?
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 05:44:35 PM »
hmmm looks like you will be in luck, it's stamped 34.9 ;D

I'll get back with you on when we can meet up. there is a group ride at carter rd park this sunday at 9am, you going? I might be there with my pup.

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 08:34:56 PM »
catman sent you a PM