Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Requisition received: APPROVED  (Read 4491 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Requisition received: APPROVED
« on: March 27, 2009, 08:41:42 PM »
I have had some issues left over from my injury and laid off the bike for a few weeks.  This afternoon I rode Boyette for the first time in probably 3 weeks.

I do want to take this opportunity to go ahead and thank the person, or persons, who made a couple of easier lines in Canyon, North Abyss, and moved the small little rock setup over the tree stump on Garry’s Loop. It made me realize that those spots should not have been left so easy to adjust and cruise through to establish an unintended experience.  What was I thinking?

I’ll take your suggestion of “how about a cut through here?” - and - “this little rock looks better pushed off to the side” and I’ll ROCK IT UP!

That’s right, the “suggestion” of “can we make this better” is received and understood, but it won’t be so easy as “you” have it - after all Canyon is a HARDER BLUE TRAIL - gets you ready for what’s to come - and the other two are BLACK TRAILS, so man up and ride it like it’s laid out - it will make you a better rider.

I think I will even see if I might be able to entice Art “The Rock” North to come on over to Boyette a few times to give me a hand with a couple of “Rock-N-Roll” features that this person, or persons, have so eloquently “asked for” on the harder trails.  After all - I’m sure they don’t really want these spots to erode and evolve into something that you ride a beach cruiser over, rrrriiight?

I have plenty of ROCKS out there, they just need to be relocated to their new resting places.

Perhaps some of you can even lend a hand now and again to go in and assist with this “requisition.”

I do it for you.  ;-)

G
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 08:46:16 PM by Garry »

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Requisition received: APPROVED
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 09:40:24 PM »
So does this mean more rocks at Boyette? I LOVE IT! :)
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 09:43:33 PM »
1 dumb * moves rocks doesn mean that you have to ruin the trails by going rock crazy...that is just as mindless as the guy that removed them

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 10:28:08 PM »
1 dumb * moves rocks doesn mean that you have to ruin the trails by going rock crazy...that is just as mindless as the guy that removed them
I have never been accused of ruining the trails in the 10 or 12 years that I have been maintaining and building trails - I doubt that I will start now.  I will make a black trail as it was intended to be.  I think if you look at everything I have done at Boyette it should show that I am not MINDLESS.  It will be a rideable experience that both challenges the rider and allows the tree to live that the rocks were protecting.  The other spot is something for a GREEN TRAIL - has no place on a BLUE TRAIL.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 10:29:50 PM »

Rocks.  :)

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 07:19:24 AM »
Big rocks?  Baby heads?  My cousin is staying with me for a bit, he is interested in doing weekday trailwork until he finds a job.  He has no transport from riverview, but would love to help if someone is coming from this way.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 07:33:42 AM »

Rocks.  :)

Rocks?? As long as they aren't the big nasty helmet cracking kind that I fell on at Santos.  :-[

Just kidding...sounds like a good idea  8)
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 07:47:53 AM »
Hells yea!!  Rock n roll. Cement and rocks and a little creativity and we might have something interesting to ride on. Personally, I'm a big fan of tech obstacles at the beginning of trails. It will also keep out the wary.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 08:13:16 AM »
Hells yea!!  Rock n roll. Cement and rocks and a little creativity and we might have something interesting to ride on. Personally, I'm a big fan of tech obstacles at the beginning of trails. It will also keep out the wary.
I know, I'm trying to figure a way to make the entrance to G Loop not so much just a flow in but a qualifier of sorts, but it's on a wide open plateau of sorts which is good for maintenance crews, but might just have to block it off and make it a climb over to access.  Canyon is more difficult in that respect because it is a hard blue two spots - intermediate means what to everybody?  I think to stave off future alterations I will widen and reshape the switch-back down turn to make it less freaky for some.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 09:01:47 AM »
Intermediate to me means a place to learn. I think that switchback is ok, if the inside was firmed up. Florida has precious few switchbacks, I say keep the ones that we can. It was the biggest thing I noticed my first mountain trip, I had to figure out switchbacks.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline drb81

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: is slow
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 09:31:34 AM »

yeah, obstacles on a mountain bike trail.. pffftt   ::)
[/don]

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 09:36:05 AM »

stfu

I meant it is stupid to make the trails harder than they had been planned just to show somebody who moved something "who is the boss"   because that is exactly how the original post came off as sounding.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 09:40:05 AM »
Intermediate to me means a place to learn. I think that switchback is ok, if the inside was firmed up. Florida has precious few switchbacks, I say keep the ones that we can. It was the biggest thing I noticed my first mountain trip, I had to figure out switchbacks.

actually intermediate means lying or occurring between two extremes.  People have all different skill levels and every trail is a place to learn.  If the intermediate trails are the place to learn does that mean that the people riding the hard trails have nothing left to learn and the people riding the green trails aren't learning a thing?

Offline drb81

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: is slow
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 09:49:57 AM »

stfu

I meant it is stupid to make the trails harder than they had been planned just to show somebody who moved something "who is the boss"   because that is exactly how the original post came off as sounding.

make them harder than they had been planned? apparently someone thought they were too hard to begin with. I wish more trails had some sort of qualifier, keep the riff-raff off and protect the trail(s). But they way it seems, the people that are removing obstacles and "dumbing down" trails will either bypass the qualifier or just remove it too. maybe if trails are made harder than planned, by the time the hacks remove what they deem unfit the trail will be right where it needs to be.
[/don]

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 10:54:10 AM »

actually intermediate means lying or occurring between two extremes.  People have all different skill levels and every trail is a place to learn.  If the intermediate trails are the place to learn does that mean that the people riding the hard trails have nothing left to learn and the people riding the green trails aren't learning a thing?

You like to argue on the internet too much.

Where did this green trail stuff come from? Too many colors!

An intermediate trail should be harder than an easy trail. If you are an intermediate rider, there should be something to challenge you on an intermediate trail, something that gets you every now and then. Instead some people think that if something gets them, they should remove it from the trail. Adding a couple of intermediate level obstacles to a trail doesn't ruin it, it gives people a place to work on their skills, to get them to the next level.

Now, there are a bunch of smartass remarks I could add in here, and insult your intelligence like you did me, but I won't stoop to that level.

Advertisement: