Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: About the Santos ride on 03/28/09  (Read 3885 times)

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
About the Santos ride on 03/28/09
« on: March 28, 2009, 07:16:04 PM »
went to Santos with Gregg and Tbalestrini. had a GREAT time, no bad crashes, no major broken components. Gregg's chain broke twice, same link both times and Todd broke a spoke playing on the jumps at the entrance of vortex
made it about 2 feet from the top up the 'back' section of magic mountain, which was a first.
Gregg needs to upload the pics of todays ride

took 2 vids of the jumps
Todd

Gregg, then Joe

Joe

"a smite a day keeps the trailbugs away"!

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
Re: About the Santos ride on 03/28/09
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 07:20:32 PM »
Nice.  Looks like you guys had fun.  One question though.  Did Gregg's wheels leave the ground?  ???    ;D
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 07:30:10 PM »
Gregg's chain broke twice, same link both times
Gregg, I do not have any more links for you.  Should we start a paypal donation fun so you can finally go get a new chain.  So that will make four links on your chain.  I think you broke my record of how many gold links to put on a chain before buying a new one now.   ;D

Oh, don't loose my link.  Is the only one I have for my ss chain. 

Nice.  Looks like you guys had fun.  One question though.  Did Gregg's wheels leave the ground?  ???     ;D
That would give I9 documented proof to not honor his warranty anymore.   ;)    But at least he carry more speed then I do through those jumps.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 07:32:27 PM by SandPine »

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 08:05:33 PM »
Gregg, I do not have any more links for you.  Should we start a paypal donation fun so you can finally go get a new chain.  So that will make four links on your chain.  I think you broke my record of how many gold links to put on a chain before buying a new one now.   ;D

Nice.  Looks like you guys had fun.  One question though.  Did Gregg's wheels leave the ground?  ???     ;D
That would give I9 documented proof to not honor his warranty anymore.   ;)    But at least he carry more speed then I do through those jumps.

It was your link that blew apart....Looks like a trip to the bike shop will be in order for tomorrow.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 08:10:31 PM »
Nice.  Looks like you guys had fun.  One question though.  Did Gregg's wheels leave the ground?  ???    ;D

no....didn't even try to....

Offline BrokeSpoke

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 08:16:42 PM »
Unlike Gregg I have not broken any major bones yet so I can still do stupid stuff like that.

And let me say, Gregg is wicked fast on the trails as long as his chain stays on.

< And what the hell is with all these smites???
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 08:19:40 PM by BrokeSpoke »

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 08:25:12 PM »
Unlike Gregg I have not broken any major bones yet so I can still do stupid stuff like that.

And let me say, Gregg is wicked fast on the trails as long as his chain stays on.

< And what the hell is with all these smites???

That is always in my mind so I tend to keep the wheels on the ground. I spent many early teen years getting lots of air....

Thanks Brokey, although maybe a little too fast in those slippery turns....I will post that pic too later)

as for the smites, somewhere along the way some knuckle head decided that smites were postive, and now some people give you a smite for good and some for bad....whatever...

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 09:20:48 PM »
peeeks gregg, pos da peeeeks!
Joe

"a smite a day keeps the trailbugs away"!

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 08:01:13 PM »
Looks like you got a great ride in...sorry I was unable to make it.  Todd got some nice air!

Where are the other pics?
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 08:07:29 PM »

Plausible deniability  ;)
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 08:31:47 PM »

It was your link that blew apart....Looks like a trip to the bike shop will be in order for tomorrow.

Gregg, I've been running the Shimano XTR chain and haven't had a broken link yet (except for the one time I installed a master pin the wrong way  :-[ . Sometimes you can pick them up pretty cheap on pricepoint or Jenson.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2009, 10:46:27 PM »

Gregg, I've been running the Shimano XTR chain and haven't had a broken link yet (except for the one time I installed a master pin the wrong way  :-[ . Sometimes you can pick them up pretty cheap on pricepoint or Jenson.

I have always used high end chains. I use either XTR/DuraAce or the Sram 991 chain. The problem initially was a Sram power link that came loose and disappeared and then the second problem came from a link that Marcel graciously gave me to replace the power link, and then that one blew apart on the Vortex loop, and then after we repaired it, I had to repair my repair a few hundred feet later.

I stopped at the LBS today on my way to Boyette and took care of the problem. Cost= nothing....try getting that online.... ;)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 10:51:20 PM »
One of my riding partners has busted those Sram links twice as well. I carry one in my Camelbak even though I don't use Sram. Could save someone from walking a few miles one day.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 11:24:04 PM »
One of my riding partners has busted those Sram links twice as well. I carry one in my Camelbak even though I don't use Sram. Could save someone from walking a few miles one day.

I used to have one in my pack, i will be picking one up this week.. I also have to get Marcel a replacement link.

Offline BrokeSpoke

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 12:05:51 AM »
Hey gregg where are these pictures ?????

Advertisement: