Author Topic: croom camping  (Read 4727 times)

naked indian

Re: croom camping
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 08:11:15 AM »
;D

All depends on how you want to carry it.
The budget way would be to get a rear rack, a good pack that will hold alot and still let you ride, and a rear rack that mounts to the post so you can take some of the weight off your back and your pretty  much rolling minimalist style.

As for the terrain, there is some fun stuff I come across you would be pleasantly surprised.
Check my blog, and then look at the pics from the January month for the ride and you can see what Brett and TL did for set ups, pretty easy and quick budget way to do it, then you can compare it to Luis and mines set up expensive set ups and you can see where you want to go from there.

There is also bikepacking dot net has a bunch of pics of set ups and such and information.

Personally I like to keep as much weight on the bike as possible, but it all depends on the person on what to carry.

Check Henessey Hammocks dot com, or just do a search on ebay for camping hammocks and you can find all sort of imitations.  But check the site, they sometimes have some worthwile specials.  I just sold my hennessey to Brett, cause I wanted to get the even ligther one, but of course I plan to do a 20 day race next year so those couple of extra lbs matter over the LONG haul.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 10:01:56 AM »
Thanks i will check it out!

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9 and some crappy commuter road bike.
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 10:04:40 AM »
Thanks i will check it out!

Go to Dick's or Wally's world, does not have to be expensive to go bikepacking for couple of weekends a year.

Offline Dan-o

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: NINER EMD 1X9
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 11:53:43 AM »
I also want to get into it after my AT trip - just need to get a different pack set up for the bike- will have the gear already.
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

naked indian

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 12:14:04 PM »
I also want to get into it after my AT trip - just need to get a different pack set up for the bike- will have the gear already.

Well the good news is, that I have tons of good routes laid out with lots of cool things to do, the fruits of my labor!

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 04:35:49 PM »
well, three members of my tribe have said they will do the bike camping gig so game on! i am looking forward to it! time to shop for goodies now... 8)

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 05:03:39 PM »
NI,I just took a look at the henessy hamocks and they look really nice. Which model would you recomend?

naked indian

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 06:31:14 PM »
NI,I just took a look at the henessy hamocks and they look really nice. Which model would you recomend?

good question.  i have only personally used the expedition model and it worked great.  i just ordered the ultralight to get it a lil more compact and a lil lighter.  they are all basically the same so look at the comparison chart and pick the one that suits ur needs.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2009, 07:24:01 AM »
 that sounds like a nice tent to have for a long time. Those things seem to be the shizzle. How is the comfort in them? Do you feel all hemmed up? what do you use for insulation?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 07:27:21 AM by chiselchest »

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2009, 07:27:55 AM »
for warmth...you cuddle

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2009, 07:33:06 AM »
I have to drop some weight so I can use the hyperlight

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2009, 07:33:23 AM »
i thought maybe we would cut open a deer and crawl inside.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2009, 07:34:12 AM »
are you in on a bike camp trip factor?

naked indian

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2009, 07:37:03 AM »
i thought maybe we would cut open a deer and crawl inside.

they are very comfortable and roomy and it has this kick ass guideline that runs inside that you can hang stuff off of.  You can even sleep on your side.  For insulation in the very cold, that I have slept in, 20 to 30 degrees, I just put a small quilt under me that I bought and could fold very small to ride with, again if you check my pics from January you can see it.
I also have a sleeping bag that I use as well with it.
What I like most is how versatile it is.  It works as a chair, it also works as a tent if your above the tree line or you could use it as a bivy sack if there are no trees, so it kicks the but of any tent out there in that regard.
I just got my Ultra Light yesterday and it is nice.  Got a free scout as well so now the lady and I are ready to start hitting some bikepacking together!

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2009, 07:37:03 AM »
are you in on a bike camp trip factor?

I would try it - I have no gear yet - it is something i want to do after I drop another 20-30 pounds - I want to see how my sleep disorder is then....the more weight I drop the less my sleep apnea is.  I am hoping I can cure it through weight loss