Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Trail condition etiquette  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Trail condition etiquette
« on: March 30, 2009, 09:05:51 PM »
Hey folks.  Ridgeline Trail has been taking a beating since it had rain. It happens to be one of the more fun trails around, but it's also made mostly of clay.  Clay doesn't do so well after it rains with bike traffic on it.  I know that we are not so used to rain around here lately, but we will be coming into the rainy season here soon.

A lot of time, wrangling over permission to go in there and build it, and a bunch of money went into building the Ridgeline trail - as well as a lot of our other trails.  Alafia has the same issues with Franks Loop, Moonscape, Rollercoaster and Bridges.  All of those have clay as a base and wet weather just destroys them as bikes slip, slide, and skid all over.

So we ask to just be patient when it rains and hold off and ride a more sustainable trail while these more clay based trails have a chance to drain and dry a little.

It's a small price to pay for a better conditioned trail.

Thanks.

SWAMP Club
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 09:14:17 PM by Garry »

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Trail condition etiquette
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 07:23:23 AM »
not sure why people want to ride the slick stuff anyway.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 08:57:27 AM »
Because they are sick and twisted.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 09:07:35 AM »
look what it did to factore. It made him sick and twisted, it changed him to factorells.

Offline jbennardo

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2010 Giant XTC29er1
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 09:18:27 AM »
Garry, are there plans to put signs up/closures to let people know what they should ride? I'm not familiar with the foundation of a lot of these trails and would be more than happy to stay off if it's marked. Unfortunately I don't realize it sometimes until I'm out there. Or maybe a handout at the entrance similar to 'fire warnings' saying which trails to avoid. Just thinking out loud.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 11:51:39 AM »
Garry, are there plans to put signs up/closures to let people know what they should ride? I'm not familiar with the foundation of a lot of these trails and would be more than happy to stay off if it's marked. Unfortunately I don't realize it sometimes until I'm out there. Or maybe a handout at the entrance similar to 'fire warnings' saying which trails to avoid. Just thinking out loud.
A notice in the parking lot is a good point.  Signs are in the works to post at the effected trails entrance.

But also Max G's was closed off with the sign turned backwards in the middle of the trail, debris placed across it to ward of drifting onto it while it was being reworked and people just rode right over it and down the drop only to have walk up the other side.  WTF?

We'll have to do a more invasive temporary closing from now on.  Great, more work.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 11:54:46 AM by Garry »

Offline jbennardo

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2010 Giant XTC29er1
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 11:57:19 AM »
A notice in the parking lot is a good point.  Signs are in the works to post at the effected trails entrance.

But also Max G's was closed off with the sign turned backwards in the middle of the trail, debris placed across it to ward of drifting onto it while it was being reworked and people just rode right over it and down the drop only to have walk up the other side.  WTF?

We'll have to do a more invasive temporary closing from now on.  Great, more work.
You can post all the signs you want and even tape off the entrance but some people will just do whatever they want.  :-\
Now, if you need any help making signs just let me know. I'd be glad to layout some stuff for you quickly. For this or any other club need.

Advertisement: