Author Topic: Croom Trail Conditions?  (Read 5327 times)

Offline ProEdgeBiker.com

• *SPECIALIZED* My Sweatshop Boutique!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
  • My Bike: Custom 09' Specialized Epic w/ Sweet SLR's
Croom Trail Conditions?
« on: March 31, 2009, 12:38:37 PM »
I've never been out there, all i ever hear of the place is that it's all sugar sand and not worth the drive. is any of that true?

Luis

Re: Croom Trail Conditions?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
yes.

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 01:24:52 PM »
yes.
LOL.  That's completely not true ProEdgeBiker -- don't listen to the Croom naysayers -- tell me what kind of riding you like, and I'll tell you where to find it.  Be advised though, Croom is *huge* compared to any of the other parks around here -- sometimes you'll feel like your riding forever.

Luis

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 01:29:42 PM »
I'm not a Croom naysayer...

naked indian

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 01:30:57 PM »

He is not a croom naysayer, I like the croom, one of my Top places to go ride.  But I also like Sand and not driving...

Offline Meerkat Surprise

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 01:31:13 PM »
That's what's special about Croom. You can ride for singletrack for 5 hours without repeating any trails. You can find the Spirit Tree, have a little fun in the pits area, and check out the cemetery. If you're looking for excitement, there are definitely a couple of drops out there taller than anything at Boyette or Alafia. Given the recent lack of rain, I expect there will be plenty of 'simulated climbing' on the trails, particularly the parts that were ravaged by the enduro race.

P.S. I was reading a race report from an ultramarathoner that mentioned a pit on the hiking trails where Ted Bundy buried some bodies. That's next on my list of Croom adventures.

naked indian

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 01:32:25 PM »
That's what's special about Croom. You can ride for singletrack for 5 hours without repeating any trails. You can find the Spirit Tree, have a little fun in the pits area, and check out the cemetery. If you're looking for excitement, there are definitely a couple of drops out there taller than anything at Boyette or Alafia. Given the recent lack of rain, I expect there will be plenty of 'simulated climbing' on the trails, particularly the parts that were ravaged by the enduro race.

P.S. I was reading a race report from an ultramarathoner that mentioned a pit on the hiking trails where Ted Bundy buried some bodies. That's next on my list of Croom adventures.

Very interesting? you got a link to the article I would love to read about it... Always looking to make a list of all the interesting stuff out at croom.

Offline Meerkat Surprise

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 01:39:59 PM »
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=71786

I tried looking for confirmation (aside from many others calling it Bundy's pit), but I couldn't find any.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9 and some crappy commuter road bike.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 01:42:02 PM »
I've never been out there, all i ever hear of the place is that it's all sugar sand and not worth the drive. is any of that true?

See this thread http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php/topic,2804.0.html
its get sandy on some spots especially when it has not rained for weeks.
Croom is not all super technical like Alafia and Loyce Park but you will experience a lot of elevation changes and miles of beautiful landscape. Just bring a lot of water.

A "new trail" is always worth to drive.

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 01:44:30 PM »
Ok, well when you answered "yes" to: "it's all sugar sand and not worth the drive. is any of that true?", I took that to be a fairly naysayer-ish response.  My bad... :D

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 01:46:59 PM »

Add me to the list of people interested in reading that link -- I was not aware that Bundy used to hang out at Croom!

Offline ProEdgeBiker.com

• *SPECIALIZED* My Sweatshop Boutique!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
  • My Bike: Custom 09' Specialized Epic w/ Sweet SLR's
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 01:53:23 PM »
Wife & I love Long XC Riding cause she also gets to enjoy it, Elevation changes are awesome specially for her, technical for me.

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 01:53:46 PM »

sarcasm.
  Rule #3 -- don't make assumptions.   ;)

I didn't want to leave ProEdgeBiker with a 1 word response that he could have interpreted to mean Croom sucks.  I'd rather he experimented for himself.

naked indian

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 01:54:36 PM »
[url=http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=71786]http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=71786[/url]

I tried looking for confirmation (aside from many others calling it Bundy's pit), but I couldn't find any.

If we can find a map of this run, I think we can find out which pit is bundies pit.

naked indian

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 01:55:43 PM »

sarcasm.
  Rule #3 -- don't make assumptions.   ;)

I didn't want to leave ProEdgeBiker with a 1 word response that he could have interpreted to mean Croom sucks.  I'd rather he experimented for himself.

LOL, good point!  Thus why I think he responded by saying he was not a naysayer.  Although lots of people have a hard time appreciating the charm croom offers.