Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Alafia Workday  (Read 2035 times)

Offline northbkr1

• Cycling Sherpa
Alafia Workday
« on: April 02, 2009, 09:07:33 AM »
I won't be here for the workday this weekend and don't want to cancellllll it for Fear of being fussed at so. Technicalllly it's cancelled But if you would like to go out there and work contact Jason (Slow Fat Guy) here on the forum. He will do the workday for me. He is going to work on Gatorback and Moonscape.  Thanks Jason you get another star for this.
Thanks Art

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Alafia Workday
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 09:37:18 AM »
No problem Art.

If you can make it out, grab some tools please. I won't be able to bring the awesome lunch we normally get either, so you are on your own there. I'll bring a bunch of water with me though, just in case. :)
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 08:29:04 AM »
**Jason - your inbox is full. Otherwise I would have PMed this to you.**

I will be there this Saturday.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline Red Trail Racing

• Associate
  • Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 08:53:14 AM »
I gots plenty of tools.

What do I bring?
Where do we meet?
What time?

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 10:19:51 AM »
9 AM at the trailhead, in case someone shows up that doesn't read the board. Tools, a pickaxe or 2, a few shovels, some loppers, maybe a bucket if you have one. I've got a few buckets I'll bring, along with a shovel, weedeater, and by hedge trimmer. I don't remember there being alot of trimming to do though, just a few face slappers. Mostly we need to move some dirt around a little bit, fix a couple of erosion spots. Then look for some rocks so we can fix a few spots like we did that climb on Shelly's. The fix will be a different day, but if we can start rounding up the stuff now that will help alot in the future.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 10:33:50 AM »
I will be riding after the workday for anybody who wants to join...unless I get a million blisters again. Hopefully won't make that mistake again.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 08:03:53 PM »
Great work on the paver climb of Gatorback! I flew right up it today and didn't have to worry about a pinch flat on that huge root. Didn't see any evidence of other repairs so I imagine you worked on the new Moonscape loop? I walked it today and it certainly looks like it will add a little extra spice to an already great trail. Can't figure out how the  entrance/exit will work though. Gonna have to install a bridge over that run off ditch area just to the right of the entry path? Maybe connect it to that tree that is somehow growing right on top of the ground? I really like the whoop section on the back side.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 09:41:08 PM »
Well, I have to thank Chris, George, Raymond, and Dave for showing up and helping out. I think we got quite alot done for such a small group, and most of it was little things you'll never notice. ;)  We spent alot of our time on that paver climb. I think it is too easy now, but it should wear in nicely where people will see all the rocks and other stuff we put in there for a foundation. I think we did a good job there without over-repairing. We packed just a little dirt in on another root towards the end, should help carry more speed there, but more important it should help keep that root from becoming airborne. :)  The last corner before that paver drop was washing off badly, there were 2 roots that were ejecting everyone off the side of the hill. Regretably we had to cut those 2 roots, but I don't think anyone will notice. We then made the bench cut more square around the corner, should hold up for awhile. We also trimmed all of Gatorback, no face slappers. We had to spend a bunch of time closing that damn re-route where someone has been going from Gatorback into the new part of Bridges. At this point Raymond and Dave had to bail. Chris, George, and myself then went and trimmed Moonscape, from the exit all the way to the beginning of Doom, including all the options. All in all it was a good days work.

I take it as a compliment that you didn't notice any other repairs.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 11:41:24 PM »
I assumed that it was just fill dirt on the paver climb but it sounds like ya'll really had your work cut out for you in order to make it last.

Didn't notice the missing roots but now that I think about it I did carry more speed through there today. I've never went over the edge but I have had to put a foot down a few times to save myself on that narrow sloped curve.You guys really blended it in well cause I was specifically on the look out for signs or repair work.

And not one single face slapper today! Great job guys.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 01:03:10 PM »
Great work on the paver climb of Gatorback! I flew right up it today and didn't have to worry about a pinch flat on that huge root. Didn't see any evidence of other repairs so I imagine you worked on the new Moonscape loop? I walked it today and it certainly looks like it will add a little extra spice to an already great trail. Can't figure out how the  entrance/exit will work though. Gonna have to install a bridge over that run off ditch area just to the right of the entry path? Maybe connect it to that tree that is somehow growing right on top of the ground? I really like the whoop section on the back side.

Any input on this question?

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 03:33:04 PM »
Art has a plan Catman. Nothing will be done on the entrance or exit until the rest of the trail is ready to go, it keeps 99% of people from going back there before the trail is ready.

Advertisement: