Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Gatorback of old  (Read 3598 times)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Gatorback of old
« on: April 02, 2009, 09:19:34 AM »
I was looking through some old pics the other day and came across a few from a trip to Alafia four years ago or so. I noticed a few sections of Gatorback that are not currently on the trail. One of these was a pretty long/fast downhill to a steep uphill and then right turn onto a ridge line.

When the trail was re-opened a while back were there sections that were totally taken out or was it more of just a re-route? I think I only rode Gatorback a few times the way it was so memory is not so great. Kinda curious if these other options are still present and could maybe be re-opened if desired. Wasn't Gatorback a bit longer before the re-work? I cand still see the wide left downhill leading into the paver climb but far as I know that is the only sign of the past out there.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Gatorback of old
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 09:40:01 AM »
There was only one major change, and it was that big downhill. It was between the switchback with the boardwalk and what everyone refers to the paver climb now. Used to be you had a downhill run at that climb. There were a few other small re-routes towards the beginning. Other than that most of the changes to the trail are simply erosion. :(
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 10:48:31 AM »
I can clealy see the old line to the paver climb in some of the pics BillT took a few months back but it really seems like something else is missing.
 I only took pics on Gatorback during that trip years back and there is a section in one of the pics (barely) but I remember it pretty well. Kinda like the first big whoop/tea cup on Bridges but more than twice as big and had a pretty sharp right turn at the top of the uphill. I remember the downhill was very steep,wide, long and fast, so much so that several people in our group opted to push the bike down it. I remember it being something like you'd see at the new ridgeline trail at Boyette. Had ferns at the bottom and pretty much dropped off on the right side. I know this cause my buddy slid out and got a face full of fern and had a hard time climbing out. I don't have digital pics or I'd just post them.

No big deal, just can't imagine that I dreamed it up  ???

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 11:03:50 AM »
I know my memory isn't that great (old-timer's disease), but I can remember walking that trail back when I first started riding.  I definitely remember some things were different than now, but wouldn't be able to point it out to you.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 11:10:17 AM »
I know my memory isn't that great (old-timer's disease), but I can remember walking that trail back when I first started riding.  I definitely remember some things were different than now, but wouldn't be able to point it out to you.

what chew talkin bout willis? You still walk that trail  ;D

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 11:30:08 AM »
Out of curiousity, why was that downhill no longer used? The current trail kind of comes around the hill, but the old line seems like it ran right over the hill.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 11:31:52 AM »

Only parts of it.  ;)

And only when I have to walk down to help you back up on the trail after falling down the ridge.  ;D
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 11:59:25 AM »
I don't remember anything like that Catman. You sure it was Gatorback? There was some stuff like that at the old TOE.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 01:22:11 PM »

Only parts of it.  ;)

And only when I have to walk down to help you back up on the trail after falling down the ridge.  ;D

Damn TTT, you won this round.

SFG, never made it to the T.O.E and I'm still pissed about it. Razorback either for that matter. Was ignorant of the fact that trails often get closed down so thought I had all the time in the world. Haven't made it to Croom either but I can just go ride on the beach sand and get the same experience from what I've heard. :)

Hopefully the same thing won't happen with that Cotton trail hint, hint, ;) ;)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 07:46:05 PM »
This looks like what I'm talking about. Where is this? Mute the sound if your kids are around.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 07:49:01 PM »
That is the only spot that has been changed. That is the hill I was talking about earlier, between the boardwalk and the paver climb.

Offline drb81

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: is slow
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 08:51:11 PM »
after the boardwalk climb continue around until you make the left hand 180 to head toward a downhill. If you stop midway after the turn around and look to the right you can see the old line.
[/don]

Offline drb81

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: is slow
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 09:09:55 PM »

[/don]

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 09:14:14 PM »
That just looks stupid fun  :o

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 09:30:28 PM »
Why they change the line SFG? That looks like a blast.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Advertisement: