Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Bike carriers  (Read 1006 times)

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Bike carriers
« on: April 04, 2009, 07:03:25 PM »
Hello -- Does SWAMP still rent out bike box/carriers for taking bikes on a plane? If so, does anyone know what kind and how much you have to disassemble the bike to make it fit? Thanks

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Bike carriers
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 07:08:02 PM »
Hello -- Does SWAMP still rent out bike box/carriers for taking bikes on a plane? If so, does anyone know what kind and how much you have to disassemble the bike to make it fit? Thanks
Check your newsletter - there is info in there about the box rentals.  You do have to take the wheels, pedals, fork, handlebars, seat and post off to make it fit.  There should be room for shoes and helmet too.  I ziptie my pedals and shoes to one of the wheels or frame with a rag between just incase some sloppy handler spills things from the box.   :o

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 07:51:16 PM »
Thanks Garry. How hard is it to remove (and put back on) a front fork? The rest of it I can handle.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 08:49:42 PM »
Thanks Garry. How hard is it to remove (and put back on) a front fork? The rest of it I can handle.
It's not hard. A multi-tool or Y-wrench and you're set.  Just be sure to get it tightened down properly when you replace it. 

To check once it's back on, hold the front brake, turn the wheel sideways and rock back and forth while holding your thumb and forefinger where the fork meets the frame.  If it wiggles loosen the stem and tighten the top screw for the headset and re-tighten the stem.  If it doesn't wiggle hold the front end up and see how easily you can turn the fork to make sure you didn't tighten the headset down too much. 

If it turns freely (and does not wiggle with the other test) then you have it right. 

Advertisement: