Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Heat  (Read 2356 times)

Offline Daniel

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Heat
« on: April 06, 2009, 11:02:27 AM »
Well, it's April and aside from the last blast of cold air the next few days the heat is on. Does everyone still ride pretty regularly through the summer? I grew up here but spent a decade out in AZ so I'm used to riding in the heat. I just start early in the morning and wear gobs of sunscreen ;).

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents" H.P. Lovecraft

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Re: Heat
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 11:14:07 AM »
I ride all summer long and at least one of my friends thinks that I'm crazy. I used to work outside every day so guess I sort of got used to it. We certanily got lucky this year with several cooler months.

Can't imagine taking the summer off from riding. Are there people who do that? I'm not talking about just cutting back to once a week but rather hanging the bike up until cooler weather arrives.
I also ride dirtbikes and it is very rare that we go out in the dead of summer so I guess it wouldn't be that odd if some do the same in mtb'ing. Wearing all the dirtbike gear is like being in a sauna though. Long pants, long sleeves, knee high boots,knee guards,camelbak,full face helmet and goggles, and sometimes a chest protector. It really takes the fun right out of it for me.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 11:14:25 AM »
early morning is prime to ride as long as you don't mind clearing the spider webs.  ;D .  Check out the Alafia beat the heat pass (year long pass) it gives you the codes to the gate so you can ride before the park officially opens at 0800.  I do a lot of morning riding during the summer.
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Offline jbennardo

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2010 Giant XTC29er1
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 11:17:28 AM »
I think for me it means getting out there even earlier or wait until the evening. Luckily, many of the places we ride are under a lot of tree cover. Still, the blazing heat makes it so even the breeze is warm air!  >:(  Oh, and bring more water!

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 11:19:46 AM »
early morning is prime to ride as long as you don't mind clearing the spider webs.  ;D
Haha, I did my fare share of spider web clearing last Saturday morning. We hit the trails at 7:00 am. By 8:00 I had so many webs on the front of my bike you'd think I'd just taken it out of storage.

Offline Daniel

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 11:35:23 AM »
I ride all summer long and at least one of my friends thinks that I'm crazy. I used to work outside every day so guess I sort of got used to it. We certanily got lucky this year with several cooler months.

Can't imagine taking the summer off from riding. Are there people who do that? I'm not talking about just cutting back to once a week but rather hanging the bike up until cooler weather arrives.
I also ride dirtbikes and it is very rare that we go out in the dead of summer so I guess it wouldn't be that odd if some do the same in mtb'ing. Wearing all the dirtbike gear is like being in a sauna though. Long pants, long sleeves, knee high boots,knee guards,camelbak,full face helmet and goggles, and sometimes a chest protector. It really takes the fun right out of it for me.

I personally don't understand why anyone would hang it up seasonally in the lower half of the US. Snow is the only excuse and even that isn't a very good one ;)
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents" H.P. Lovecraft

Offline Daniel

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 11:36:17 AM »
early morning is prime to ride as long as you don't mind clearing the spider webs.  ;D .  Check out the Alafia beat the heat pass (year long pass) it gives you the codes to the gate so you can ride before the park officially opens at 0800.  I do a lot of morning riding during the summer.

I love early morning rides, but try getting my family out of bed before 10 am :(

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 12:36:12 PM »
It's not the heat that makes it so miserable to ride during the summer- it's the humidity. The air is so laden with moisture that it can't absorb your sweat, so it just has to run off of you in streams. If you stop in a patch of sunlight, steam will start rising off of your clothes, as the air can't hold any more water, and water vapor is lighter than air.

I'll go through almost gallon of Gatorade in an hour of peak summer riding- makes me wish for a bigger Camelback so I could store two 100oz bladders.
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 01:33:46 PM »
Give me heat anyday.  I'd rather ride in 100 degree weather than have to wear multiple layers to stay warm in the colder months.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

naked indian

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 01:45:17 PM »
Give me heat anyday.  I'd rather ride in 100 degree weather than have to wear multiple layers to stay warm in the colder months.

i agree, heat is better than cold, but the TWEEEN seasons are the best.  Last saturdays riding weather was Perfect!

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 01:54:52 PM »
Well, it's April and aside from the last blast of cold air the next few days the heat is on. Does everyone still ride pretty regularly through the summer? I grew up here but spent a decade out in AZ so I'm used to riding in the heat. I just start early in the morning and wear gobs of sunscreen ;) .
Ride year around.  That's the beauty of living in the tropics, or sub tropics.  I would rather ride a mountain bike in the dead of winter though than a road bike.  Usually the cold has even colder wind associated with it.  Upper 90's is okay.  Prehydrate, bring plenty of water and electrolytes.  Stopping sucks because all of that heats catches up with you.  Riding a slightly slower pace than normal keeps a cool breeze running across your body.

Offline Daniel

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 02:07:36 PM »

i agree, heat is better than cold, but the TWEEEN seasons are the best.  Last saturdays riding weather was Perfect!

Was that the weekend with all the wind and coolish air? It was great. We were at Alafia.

Offline jbennardo

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2010 Giant XTC29er1
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 02:18:02 PM »
RiskE just brought up a clear memory for me. I rode one morning at Alafia a few years ago and the air was so thick and wet that you'd just sweat standing there. No relief.. It wasn't terribly hot either... just soooo humid. Humidity is miserable.
There has to be something to that because I rode Moab with the wife circa Labor Day in 2005. The temps were around 100 but it was nice and dry and you actually felt a breeze! Our guide made double sure we were drinking plenty because when you feel that good in relation to how much you're sweating, sometimes you feel like you don't need water. We'd look down at our arms and realize we weren't even sweating because it was being soaked up by the dry air.

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 02:48:53 PM »
I don't like riding during the summer heat, but its a necessary evil.  I fill my 100 oz bladder every time I go trail riding but during the summer I'll empty it in a 3 hour ride.  Like everyone else said, its not just the heat, but the humidity.  Its amazing what that thick air does to your lungs.  Riding in July and August feels like someone is sitting on your chest while you're trying to breathe.  About the only thing you can do is ride earlier.  We typically bump our start time up from 9am to 8am.  Alafia is nice because you can keep gatorade in a cooler and swing by after some riding to get some electrolytes. 
07 Redline Monocog Flight 29'er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)
07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3 (The One That Started It All)

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 03:00:55 PM »
I can breath that Hot, wet air a whole lot eaiser than that dry cold stuff :)

Advertisement: