Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: New tire question/recommendation?  (Read 1619 times)

Offline 41ants

• First Bike
New tire question/recommendation?
« on: April 06, 2009, 08:18:16 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has used the Schwalbe Racing Ralph's Tires for the local trails and what you thought of them?  I have been using the same set of maxxis ignitors for the past year or so, but I am looking to change it up a bit.

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: New tire question/recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 09:29:44 PM »
 I have run Kenda Nevegal's and and Small Block 8's and like both.  The SB8's work well in dry hardpack but loose their grip in loose corners and climbs.  Nevegal's hook up nice is most conditions loose/hardpack or wet/dry. 

I just ordered a Maxxis Ardent for the rear and will replace the SB8 for a more agressive approach. 

Reviews show that Schwalbe makes a good product... I just think they are a bit pricey.

my 2 cents
2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 09:35:21 PM »
I have been using the Maxxis Crossmarks around here and they work great in most conditions.  The Kenda Karma's are also a good light weight tire.  It really depends on what you are looking for.  More grip normally means more weight.  The ignitors are a good tire and I used them for quite a while.  I still use them on my Trance and they are great!
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 10:04:06 PM »
I have been using the Michelin XCR Dry2 for a couple months now, they are the best combination of grip and roll I have tried. They don't look like much, I think their bite when leaned comes from their squarish shoulders and super STIFF side knobs. The small tread up the center rolls super easy. 480 g's  :)

Offline Daniel

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 10:46:34 PM »
I have heard good things about the Schwalbes. I run IRC Mythos Kevlars. Simple, cheap work great.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents" H.P. Lovecraft

Offline nick

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • My Bike: MTB-05 Giant Trance /Road-2010 CAAD9-4 Black
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 12:04:44 PM »
My favorite tire to date is the specialized captain 2bliss. Fast rolling and hook up great under every condition. I run mine tubeless and they seal up well with stans. I run them front and rear.

naked indian

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 12:11:34 PM »
My favorite tire to date is the specialized captain 2bliss. Fast rolling and hook up great under every condition. I run mine tubeless and they seal up well with stans. I run them front and rear.

I have a captain 29er, didnt like the way it looked, but loves the way it works.  I run Rampages 29ers panaracers, heavy, but trusthworthy, kinda tire you would feel safe letting your baby ride. LOL

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 12:58:59 PM »
2nd the Captain, using them on the Trance

Offline Barb S

• First Bike
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 01:18:29 PM »
I have heard really good things about the Racing Ralph.  I am riding the Rockin Ron's which hook up better than anything I have ridden in dry pine needle/leaf ladden twisty trails at Santos and MB; they have more grip than most race tires. I got the 2.1 (advertised 410 g but were 430 on the shop gram scale); they also make a punction resistant version that is advertise at 480 g which is pretty good for race tire.

Offline 41ants

• First Bike
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 09:48:13 PM »
I went ahead and ordered up the racing ralphs. 29x2.4 front and 29x2.25 rears.  I hope to have them by friday, so I can either get a santos or alafia ride on Sat.

Advertisement: