Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Reba Leaking oil  (Read 3902 times)

Offline BrokeSpoke

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Reba Leaking oil
« on: April 07, 2009, 10:04:14 PM »
I noticed after my ride at Santos a couple weeks back that there was alittle bit of shock oil seeping somewhere out of the lockout on my Reba. Well today I had the bike in my car ( laying on it's side ) while I was at work because I was going to be dipping in at the hole after work but when I took the bike out I noticed a decent amount of oil had leaked out from the lockout, enough to where it was all over the crown and was also running down the tube onto the dust seal. There is only about 200miles on this fork and it's a 2008. is it time for a rebuild or is something broke?

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Re: Reba Leaking oil
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 10:57:21 PM »
I'm certainly not the fork master by any means (never even resealed one as of yet) but what I have noticed on two bikes so far that if you hang them on the wall the fork caps may leak after a while. I've had a Rock Shox and a Fox both do this while hanging vertically. I repositioned them to where the fork tops were not pointed down and they both stopped leaking/seeping. I'm mindfull of this when storing my bike inside my truck but not saying this is normal by any means. If you have a stream of oil coming out I'd certainly think that is excessive.

There is supposed to be some local guy in Tampa who is super good at rebuilding/resealing Rock Shoxs.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline BrokeSpoke

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 11:02:10 PM »
I guess a rebuild would not hurt, either way I need to open it up and see just how much oil i lost.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 11:08:22 PM »
Unless abuse has occurred that fork should be like new at 200 miles. Any warranty left? ??? ?

I have a Reba on my 29'r and it still works great (I'm the second owner) and is bone dry around the wiper seals. The lockout gets slighty moist if I remember correctly but I'll take a look at it tomorrow to verify.

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 08:45:35 AM »
I have noticed on two bikes so far that if you hang them on the wall the fork caps may leak after a while
Good to know! I was considering hanging mine on the wall. I guess I'll have to keep them on the ground.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 08:57:27 AM »
Hanging your bike from the wall should not cause a properly functioning fork to leak.  I recently rebuilt my reba sl and it developed a similar leak.  Source of the leak ended up being the small oring that goes on the brass colored aluminium plug at the center of the knob.  SRAM doesnt sell this ring, but i was able to find the same size at a dive shop in tampa.  The bike hangs from the rear tire and no leaks.  Your fork should have a two year warranty, so you may  want to have a shop give you an opinion before you go tearing into it.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 09:06:55 AM »
I've been told by a bike mechanic that pretty much any fork that is suspended upside down will leak at the top of the fork.  They actually aren't designed to be stored that way.  Even turning the bike upside down for flat or trail side repair you should pump the fork up and down 10 or 12 times before riding off to get the oil to flow properly again so it performs as it should.
If you hang it from the rear wheel the angle will be such that the top of the fork is not pointing down.  My wall rack holds the bikes horizontally, so no issues.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 09:16:50 AM »
My Totem leaks out the top when I flip it upside down to put on my front wheel - it is like what Alan said, an issue with an o-ring at the top of the fork.  My fork is also leaking from the seals so I'll just drop it off at the shop and have them do a rebuild.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 07:53:08 PM »
Garry, there are also plenty of mechanics out there stating an inverted fork should never leak. 

My wife's bike has been hanging on the wall from the front wheel for probably about 3-months.  Her fork has no leaks whatsoever.  That tells me a bike with proper seals won't leak regardless of how you store it. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 07:55:29 PM by Alan »

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 08:02:51 PM »
Garry, there are also plenty of mechanics out there stating an inverted fork should never leak. 

My wife's bike has been hanging on the wall from the front wheel for probably about 3-months.  Her fork has no leaks whatsoever.  That tells me a bike with proper seals won't leak regardless of how you store it.
As long as it has oil in it.  ;)

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 08:32:34 PM »
Brokespoke...you should probably look at upgrading to the '09+ motion control unit.  My Reba continues to puke oil out of the plug on top of the knob (doesn't leak when hung from the wall, but leaks oil when out on the trail riding around).  I called SRAM today.  I was advised the old units had inferior sealing and they are replacing them with the improved '09 unit. 

Part number is 114015315000

The damper unit itself is smaller than the one you are replacing, so it requires 123cc of fluid to make up the volume difference. 

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 08:47:34 PM »
Just looked at the Reba on my SS and it is much more wet than it had been around the lockout knob. Has been hanging on the wall for a few months now.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 06:55:26 PM »
Here is the write up I was telling you about Rothrock.

Advertisement: