Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Home made bike rack for a pick up truck  (Read 16332 times)

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
Home made bike rack for a pick up truck
« on: April 08, 2009, 08:58:18 PM »
I want to build something to hold two to three bikes in the back of my pick up truck.  I saw something at boyette the other day that was exactly what I was looking to make but I am not sure exactly what the locking mechanism was or how it works.  I was hoping someone here could help me out and let me know what I need.

The system I saw was a 2x4 mounted to the front of the bed with some kind of fork locks with pad locks mounted to the 2x4.  Have any of you seen this kind of set up and could you let me know what I need to put it together?  Im open to any other suggestions as well.

Trips For Kids Tampa- Mountain bike outings and educational opportunities for "at risk" kids www.mtbyouthride.org

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Re: Home made bike rack for a pick up truck
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 09:03:30 PM »
Most any good bike shop will have this fork mounts for sale but if you want locking fork mounts you are gonna pay a ton for them ($45 a piece). You can also get non-locking ones for like $15 online.
I had a 2x4 set up at one time but never took the time figure out a way to secure the 2x4 to my truck bed in order to prevent theift.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 09:06:31 PM »
I think the non lock route may be the way to go then.  Im sure I can figure out a cheaper way to lock the bikes up.
Trips For Kids Tampa- Mountain bike outings and educational opportunities for "at risk" kids www.mtbyouthride.org

Offline drb81

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: is slow
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 09:16:19 PM »
I used to have a 2x4 setup with 2 fork mounts, when I needed to lock the bikes up, I had a 6-ft cable I ran through all the wheels and frames and locked it to a hold down in my bed. I had these fork mounts, relatively inexpensive and can still be locked if mounted securely.

http://www.deltacycle.com/product.php?g=48

I still have 2 of these mounts if you're interested, I'll sell them both for $30.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 09:22:42 PM by drb81 »
[/don]

Offline stumpy

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog 29er
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 09:16:54 PM »
If you have a toolbox, you can mount yakima blockheads locking or non-locking right on the face of the box. I've got 2 on mine, with room for a third in the middle. If you go non-locking, grab a coated cable and lock one end on the truck bed (mine is on a tie down) and then have another lock to lock around the bikes after you run the cable through the frames. You can get the locking blockheads keyed alike. I can post pics if you want.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 09:17:23 PM »
I screwed a couple of these to a 2x4 for my first rack

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/RA707A00-Saris+Traps+Fork+Mount+Carrier.aspx
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 09:21:54 PM »
Stumpy that would be great if you could post some pics so I could get a better idea. 

Offline stumpy

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog 29er
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 09:31:19 PM »
I'll try and throw them up in the am when it's light out.

naked indian

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 07:09:04 AM »
I have a Yakima Roof rack.  On my roof Rack I have 3 sleds.  In the middle I have a Yakima basket.  To that Yakima basket I have zip tied two more Yakima blockhead things.  With bungees I can carry 5 bikes on my roof securely.

Thats my story and Im sticking to it.

Offline Tony Buchman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: '08 Giant Trance X2, 2012 Kona Hei Hei 29er
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 08:27:37 AM »
I used a 2x6 with 2x2's mounted on each end in an I shape to hold it between the wheel wells and the tailgate. This setup gives me the ability to remove it to use the truck for other things.
I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 08:31:08 AM »
Nk, you have the fork mounts zip tied the the car!? :o

Offline Daniel

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 08:34:58 AM »
I want to build something to hold two to three bikes in the back of my pick up truck.  I saw something at boyette the other day that was exactly what I was looking to make but I am not sure exactly what the locking mechanism was or how it works.  I was hoping someone here could help me out and let me know what I need.

The system I saw was a 2x4 mounted to the front of the bed with some kind of fork locks with pad locks mounted to the 2x4.  Have any of you seen this kind of set up and could you let me know what I need to put it together?  Im open to any other suggestions as well.

If you truck bed has the holes in the side walls for mounting a rack system (most do) you can actually buy drop ins cheap and then mount a 2x4 to them with fork mounts screwed to the 2x4. The whole thing can just be lifted out when not in use. light cheap effective.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents" H.P. Lovecraft

naked indian

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 08:38:43 AM »
Nk, you have the fork mounts zip tied the the car!? :o

Not to the car...LOL.... To the Yakima Basket....its very secure.... There are five people in my family.  So if we take a family trip I got to be able to carry all the bikes.  it works!

But to be on subject, ya a 2 x 4 with some Yakima blockheads will work in a pick up easy.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 08:49:24 AM »
I use the 2x4 method and it works great.

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 05:59:36 PM »
Here is my setup.  Obviously it is way easier if you have the truck bed accessory rails in there.  I just used some spare tie down cleats to secure the wood and then mounted my fork mount appropriately.  The only down side to my setup is I have not found a way to secure my bike by locking the 15mm TA.

2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Advertisement: