Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: disc brakes  (Read 1995 times)

Offline stumpy

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog 29er
disc brakes
« on: April 11, 2009, 09:00:52 AM »
Helping my buddy replace his v brakes with disc. he has the mounts, but I've never bought replacements before. How do I know what size (160mm, 185mm, 203mm) his bike will need?

Also, any recommendations on good mechanical disc and levers would be greatly appreciated!

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
Re: disc brakes
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 10:03:46 AM »
There are variables such as rider weight, terrain, etc:
for instance on my ubber lite XC bike I have a 160 front and 140 rear, on the the trail bike I have 160 front and rear. 160 rear should be good for just about all local applications and either 160 or 180/5 front should cover you. If you are doing long decents (mountains) or are currently in the weight sheding mode you may consider the next size larger rotor :)

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 10:13:51 AM »
I agree with Scott.  160 front and rear should cover everything around here.

As far as a brand for mechanicals, Avid BB7 should satisfy your needs.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline stumpy

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog 29er
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 10:43:23 AM »
thanks for the info guys. any feedback on the Hayes Stroker Ryde hydros? jenson has them for $100 each. I think my buddy wants to go hydraulic.

one other question that may sound stupid: how do I know if the mounts on the bike are right for the brakes? The Hayes description says they fit forks with 74mm post mounts, or I need an adaptor if they are 51mm.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 12:23:34 PM »
Post mounts on the fork accept a 160mm rotor without an adapter, which is the way I would go. If you go larger you will need an adapter. The new Hayes brakes are very nice, very durable with great stopping power. If you can spend a little more, I would consider the stroker trails as they have the thumbwheel adjuster for lever throw :)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 08:23:40 PM »
thanks for the info guys. any feedback on the Hayes Stroker Ryde hydros? jenson has them for $100 each. I think my buddy wants to go hydraulic.

one other question that may sound stupid: how do I know if the mounts on the bike are right for the brakes? The Hayes description says they fit forks with 74mm post mounts, or I need an adaptor if they are 51mm.

Not a stupid question at all as adapters can become a little difficult at times. You'll probably still need an adapter for the rear since I've only seen a few bikes now that have post mount in the back. I run 160mm rotors on my all mountain bike and never had an issue stopping in Florida or in the mountains for that matter. I have the mechanical BB7's 160mm rotors) on my single speed and they are very good for mechanicals but you better believe I'll be upgrading to hydro soon as there is a deal I can't pass up. Some people swear by BB7's and won't have anything else but for the price I'd go with lower end hydraulics instead if on a budget.

I have Hayes Nine on my Freeride bike with 8 inch rotors and they are ok but adjustment can become a total pain if one of the pistons gets lazy on you (pretty common with this model). You can pick up Hayes Nine pretty cheap these days though.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Advertisement: