Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: a question for the ladies in here  (Read 1597 times)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
a question for the ladies in here
« on: April 11, 2009, 04:51:22 PM »
My wife has started riding alot more lately and is experiencing a couple problems I am not sure the answer too.

1.  what if a good comfortable female specific saddle that doesn't rub "that area"?

2.  Do you wear some sort of sports undies under your bibs/shorts?

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
Re: a question for the ladies in here
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 05:23:11 PM »
There was a good thread about this in the women's forum on MTBR.  Don't ask me how I know.  :o
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 05:35:20 PM »
There was a good thread about this in the women's forum on MTBR.  Don't ask me how I know.  :o

We don't have to ask how you know, we all know why you know. :D

Jonathon,

Have Lacey go with you to a bike shop that has an Ass o meter, If you measure her sit bones you can probably find something pretty easily that is comfortable. I would suggest that you check out some of the woman's specific stuff that Bontrager offers...

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 05:41:52 PM »
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=176458

Have her check these FAQ out.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline metatron21

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Cannondale F7
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 03:48:55 PM »
I will tell you what I have found so far in my year and a half of riding.

There ARE seats that are more comfortable for a woman's anatomy. It depends on her build and how aggressive she rides. If you go to a bike shop, they know exactly what would be best for her.

No, I do not wear anything under my bike shorts. That would cause chafing and more moisture. Buy a good pair of bike shorts (made by Trek, Izumi Pearl, etc) with a good chamois and that will really protect the "area". There are shorts made specifically for women and they have saved my butt (literally!) :-)

Hope I am able to help.

Offline Daniel

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 06:01:52 PM »
I'm going through the same questions with Rachel at the moment. We are seeking a saddle that appeals to her. She has a tendancy to ride pretty far forward in the saddle. Getting back farther has helped a bit, a good pair of shorts has helped a bit, so now just seeking the most ideal saddle. Nothing found as of yet. Let me know if you find one in particular factor. Any ladies have brand and model recommendations I am all ears please.

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents" H.P. Lovecraft

Offline metatron21

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Cannondale F7
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 09:23:07 AM »
I know that moving my saddle back a little on the seatpost helped. My knees were also giving me problems. Now I don't EVER get saddle sore or "monkey butt". I know that Bontrager makes good women's saddles. I ride on my boyfriend's old hand-me-down saddle. It works just fine for me.

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 11:52:42 AM »
When my gf was demoing bikes at the Santos FTF, she got to try out a DEVA saddle. That was by far the most comfortable saddle of the say for her.

However, "her" bike has a WTB Pure V on it, which doesn't give her any problems either.
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline jbennardo

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2010 Giant XTC29er1
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 12:01:25 PM »
Wife rides a Giant Cypher with a WTB Deva saddle on it... she loves it. As far as shorts? After much discussion, she went 'commando' one day under her bike shorts and will never go back for the same reasons listed by metatron.

Offline Daniel

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 12:19:52 PM »
Wife rides a Giant Cypher with a WTB Deva saddle on it... she loves it. As far as shorts? After much discussion, she went 'commando' one day under her bike shorts and will never go back for the same reasons listed by metatron.

Did I run into you at Alafia Sunday? Do you have red specialized FS? I was with my niece and nephew at the end of northcreek where the lower mouth of riverloop is. I'm hard to miss. I'm the only guy running around on rocky mountain with pink lettering... :-[
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents" H.P. Lovecraft

Advertisement: