Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: BEST GPS  (Read 1975 times)

naked indian

BEST GPS
« on: April 14, 2009, 11:33:59 AM »
I would like your opinions on the BEST GPS that can be used for routing, tracking, mapping and putting in map programs to be used on a bike?

Any personal experiences and suggestions are appreciated.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: BEST GPS
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 11:44:43 AM »
I have a Garmin Edge 305 which I've been happy with, but for what you are looking for, I think their new Edge 705 will do what you want (particularly with the ability to load maps).  I had an issue with my Edge shutting off randomly and they replaced it with no questions asked and did a similar thing with a friend of mine that wrecked and busted his open.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 11:54:16 AM »
I have the polar and had a Garmin before.  The polar is better for tracking what is going on with me...but not so good with mapping etc.

If you get a Garmin 705...you can also get an ibike power meter that syncs with it and totally sync your miles maps power output - etc etc

naked indian

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 12:00:06 PM »
I have the polar and had a Garmin before.  The polar is better for tracking what is going on with me...but not so good with mapping etc.

If you get a Garmin 705...you can also get an ibike power meter that syncs with it and totally sync your miles maps power output - etc etc

I was looking at The 705.  BUT, at those prices I may have to finance it.  So, my eyes have been currently averted to the Oregon 400I

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 12:42:19 PM »
I've heard you can't load GPX files onto an Edge. I bought a Garmin eTrex Vista last year and have been happy with it despite very limited use. It's more of a general outdoors-use GPS that has handlebar attachments.

I know you and you're gonna want plenty of storage. One thing I liked about the Vista was it didn't have any native storage, just a SD card slot so you can install as big a card as you want.

naked indian

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 12:50:46 PM »
I've heard you can't load GPX files onto an Edge. I bought a Garmin eTrex Vista last year and have been happy with it despite very limited use. It's more of a general outdoors-use GPS that has handlebar attachments.

I know you and you're gonna want plenty of storage. One thing I liked about the Vista was it didn't have any native storage, just a SD card slot so you can install as big a card as you want.

ya, its where im leaning, something multi use.  I was reviewing the rules for the GDR and GPS is allowed, so ya, I need one.

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 08:03:02 PM »
Shameless plug, but your timing is perfect.  I have a Garmin Map 60 cx, with a *GB chip in it for sale.  It gets excellent coverage even in DEEP woods.  Runs all day on two AA batteries.  I have the original Mapsource software and the City Navigator software ($100) included.  The City Nav allows you to do turn by turn directions when in the car.  It also shows some trails in areas like Ocala.  All this can be yours for the low, low price of $150.  Hijack over.  Seriously, research it and PM me if your interested.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 12:00:07 PM »
I've heard you can't load GPX files onto an Edge.
Not in GPX format. But you can convert to .tcx or .crs and load them there.

K,
Get the Edge 305 or 705 whichever fits your budget better.  I am not sure you can do all the fancy things on the Oregon that you can do on the Edge 305/705.

naked indian

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 12:08:54 PM »
I've heard you can't load GPX files onto an Edge.
Not in GPX format. But you can convert to .tcx or .crs and load them there.

K,
Get the Edge 305 or 705 whichever fits your budget better.  I am not sure you can do all the fancy things on the Oregon that you can do on the Edge 305/705.

AFTER HOURS of forum dogging and internet research I went with the Etrex vista HCX.  Should get to test it this very weekend.

naked indian

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 12:09:50 PM »
Shameless plug, but your timing is perfect.  I have a Garmin Map 60 cx, with a *GB chip in it for sale.  It gets excellent coverage even in DEEP woods.  Runs all day on two AA batteries.  I have the original Mapsource software and the City Navigator software ($100) included.  The City Nav allows you to do turn by turn directions when in the car.  It also shows some trails in areas like Ocala.  All this can be yours for the low, low price of $150.  Hijack over.  Seriously, research it and PM me if your interested.

Coach if I would of seen this sooner I would have done it.  Too late... sorry...

Advertisement: