Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Magic of Freeride Video  (Read 5095 times)

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
    • SWAMP Mountain Bike Club
Magic of Freeride Video
« on: December 28, 2006, 09:38:43 PM »
Several people at club rides have asked what Freeriding is. SWAMP mainly does Cross-Country riding with small, if any, jumps. This video shows Freeriding in it's most intense form.

Watch this video only if you can handle the intensity.  Warning: This video is not for everyone, high jumps with several crashes appear in the video.

Do not attempt these stunts at home!   :o  (and NO, SWAMP does NOT include this type of riding in our events)

Magic of Freeride

If you think you know what Freeride is take a look at this. Watch at your own risk, for this sport, as in life, the outcomes are not always pretty--the occasional crash and burn is just part of reality.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 11:22:26 AM by Forum Manager »
Are you a SWAMP Mountain Bike Club member? Ride Guide?
If so, use the Personal Message link to the left, under my name, to send me a PM about upgrading your forum account to SWAMPer or Ride Guide!
Please remember to include your first and last name and when or how you joined SWAMP.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Re: Magic of Freeride Video
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 11:29:59 PM »
What an awesome video!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 06:24:09 PM »
Right....those guys are freaking nuts!!!! ;D ;D

Killer video though... :D
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 08:20:35 AM »
Outch!  I don't think that last guy will by trying that again.  I hope he is alive and walking.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 09:46:25 AM »
They had the pictures of the guy jumping the truck awhile back in one of the mtb mags. Did anyone see the mtb racer jump over the peloton( think thats how you spell it) at the Tour De France? it was two years ago I think. He did a similar jump off a downhill over the road of riders and down the hill and away he goes.
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline jpap2002

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 07:39:25 PM »
SWEET BRA WHERE DO I SIGN UP. DUDE I'M UP FOR IT, ANYONE UP FOR STARTING A NEW BRANCH OF THE CLUB. HOW DOES SWAMP X SOUND..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 08:35:18 PM »
I do not think there is enough of an area around here to do freeriding...

I mean Santos is great, the TOE is interesting (never been but pictures look interesting..)  So who knows. The challenge would be to get Hillsbourgh County to allow SWAMP to put together a freeride section that the county wasn't worried about insurance and injury...

Thats how Santos gets away with it..  More rural areas tend to be less concerned with Tax dollars and the fact that the local legislation might get less money if someone gets really hurt..

Oh well..

-Bob ???

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 11:12:17 AM »
A while back, I posted an email to the SWAMP newsgroup about a new BMX park being built just down the road from our Boyette Trails.  I think it came out on our local Observer newspaper.  I couldn't find that article but I might have the email somewhere.  Anyways, there is a local bike shop in Riverview called Multi Gear.  They are fearly small and new.  Their selection of products is somewhat limited.  But, some of the people that run it are very involved in building the BMX park.

I drive down the road at Boyette often.  When I passed through there I noticed they have a big sign that say coming soon "USA BMX training facility" with the phone number for the bike shop for more information (813) 741-2421 http://www.multigearbikeandsport.com/index.htm

I called them up since I had talked to them before.  They are still getting permits but already have some clay out on that big open field.  Once they get the permits, they are going to break ground and build the BMX racing track first.  There will be other BMX style jumps and they will consider opening it up for MTX's.  Somewhat similar to what there is at Santos.  Give them a call if you want more details.

It is just down the street from Boyette.  You will see a white pvc fence and on the left side where all the big antennas are, you will see the sign.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 05:59:54 PM »
Thanks Columbo, or uh Mr Sandpine. Good job digging up that info! I'v been waiting  for some news of what  the heck is going on out there. I thought that place would have been opened last year.  Is it just permits that is the hold-up or is it a money issue? They built that flying field out there in no time at all. They came way later than the BMX and have been up and running  since last summer.  Whats taking so long for the BMX? Living close to the area I'm planning on trying some of that bmx and might be dead before its open.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 07:13:12 PM »
If you really really want to go do some BMX locally go to http://www.tampabmx.com  There is a local BMX park up Dale Mabry somewhere.  I am sure the link has more details.

As of the USA BMX park on Boyette, I am not involved at all.  I am jsut another person interested on what is going on around me.  When I talked to them back Aug-Sep, it sounded like they needed funding and people.  One of the guys working at that shop is or was a pro BMX'er.  So it he should know how to get a hold of more BMX'ers to come out and help.  When I talked to them yesterday, they told me about the permits only.  The two times i talked to them they seem very enthusiastic about it.  Give them a call for more details or stop by their shop.  If you are familiar with Riverview/Gibsonton the shop is on 301 just north of Gibston Rd after the Manatee river bridge.

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 08:17:43 PM »
Hey Columbo,

Thats the Alafia River Bridge LOL.  A little to far north for the Manatee LOL...

Good stuff though I never knew that shop had anything to do with bikes. I always see those little "pocket rockets" around I thought they just did scooters.. 

Shows how much I pay attention to my drive home.

=Bob

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 06:00:43 PM »
There is also a BMX track in Oldsmar just east of McMullenbooth road. It's been there for about four years and holds events from weekdays and weekends to I believe championship events. Mike Sanford, a former Fl. St. triathilon champion and bmx racer alomg with his son also race there. It is located at Canal Park on Hillsbourgh.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 06:41:50 PM »
There is also a BMX track in Lake Park on Dale Mabry, just south of Van DyKe Road.

I also proposed to my wife in that park.....how's that for romance?

Gregg

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 09:22:19 AM »
Ain't love grand? Iproposed to mine in the bushes in a Bellair nature park. Don't ask!! LOL!!!

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 08:40:34 AM »
Well, if we must share  ;D... i proposed to my wife in our condo in casselberry when we were living in Orlando.  Nothing special.

I'm more interested in the Boyette BMX because how close it is for me. Like everything else, time is relevant. The other tracks are well over an hour from my house and i'm not  interested in driving through the rat race to get to them. I just hope they can get it going because it will be great for the area ,SE Hillsborough to have another option for the kids to do things. I've never done it, and once I do, might not even be interested, but it looks like fun.
" Not this time, Lance"

Advertisement: