Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Gatorback  (Read 6850 times)

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Gatorback
« on: April 15, 2009, 10:23:20 PM »
Has anyone rode it since the hard rain? If so I'm wondering how our fix on the "paver" climb is holding up. Should have washed some of the extra dirt off it, making it better. If you hit it LMK, I won't be able to make it out there until Sunday.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
Re: Gatorback
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 06:21:07 AM »
Is that the old root wall climb? Went through pre-rain and thought the trail was berry berry easy. Did not do the one challenge out there, the wood bridge   around the tree after the switchback.Wussed out. Still had images of busted bloody helmets in my head. Put there by the evil Gregg. Tactics to slow other  riders  down. Fear.  ;D    ;D   Everything else was good.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 07:58:09 AM »
That's the one. A bunch of the roots were about to be aired out. I figure the rain should have washed some of the extra dirt off and got it back to it's nice knarly self though.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 08:06:42 AM »
If we ever get rain one of these years, that trail will get nice and messy. Wonder if those two un-authorized routes are still shutdown? I haven't ridden out there in a few weeks.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 08:27:59 AM »
If we ever get rain one of these years, that trail will get nice and messy. Wonder if those two un-authorized routes are still shutdown? I haven't ridden out there in a few weeks.

The blockade was still up as of Sunday.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline northbkr1

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 10:34:52 AM »
I'll check it out on Sunday.   Thanks for taking over the workday for me Jason.
Art

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 10:47:40 AM »
Just a heads up Art. I might be riding there Saturday and I will check it as well. We collectively put up some massive trees and I dug a hole for them to fall into. However, it was really frustrating to deal with and a waste of our time. So if it is open again, I am going to dig a hole to china for them.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 10:49:44 AM by KRUNNCHERO »
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 12:01:19 PM »
No problem Art. I'll proably be out there Sunday also.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 01:03:24 PM »
Just a heads up Art. I might be riding there Saturday and I will check it as well. We collectively put up some massive trees and I dug a hole for them to fall into. However, it was really frustrating to deal with and a waste of our time. So if it is open again, I am going to dig a hole to china for them.

just put some spikes and a tiger at the bootom of the pit, that will learn them...

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 12:04:04 PM »
Is that the old root wall climb? Went through pre-rain and thought the trail was berry berry easy. Did not do the one challenge out there, the wood bridge   around the tree after the switchback.Wussed out. Still had images of busted bloody helmets in my head. Put there by the evil Gregg. Tactics to slow other  riders  down. Fear.  ;D    ;D   Everything else was good.

Isn't fear the main motivation for what we do?  :-\ ;D

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 01:17:14 PM »

Fear of being pushed off the side of the ridge  :D
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 12:15:31 PM »
Cleaned Gatorback yesterday! Have been trying for many, many months to no avail but yesterday just must have been my day cause I went up and over the boardwalk without any issue and the rest was cake.

I've alway been the guy who doesn't care much about what tires I'm running or that the bike is the perfect fit for me but I think those days are gone. I very recently installed a new 20mm shorter stem (100mm), wider DH style oversized riser bars, and two new Hutchinson "Bulldog" tires. Yesterday was my first day riding with the new bars and tires and look what happened. I also made the climb around the left of the tree up to "no dab ridge" on my first try attempt. Felt a lot more confident doing the high side Doom drop as well since I wasn't way over the front tire via 120mm stem. Getting a good deal on components that aren't exactly what you need is no such a good deal after all. Thanks to the few guys that commented on how crazy long my stem was.

Looks like it may have also just been in the air cause my good friend from St. Pete almost cleaned Rollercoaster (one dab) which is the goal he is currently working on and he also faced his demons on the triple dipper drop on "no dab ridge".

Just an overall GREAT day of riding, and this at a place I go to 1-2 times a week. Says a lot about Alafia's trails.

By the way, nice to meet you jbennardo. Hope you found your missing riding partner. Mine finished Rollercoaster and mistakenly just kept going into Moonscape. He informed me that I am supposed to wait for him at the fork in the trail not at the much more comfortable picnic table at the entrance/exit.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 07:55:32 PM »
Cleaned Gatorback yesterday! Have been trying for many, many months to no avail but yesterday just must have been my day cause I went up and over the boardwalk without any issue and the rest was cake.

I also made the climb around the left of the tree up to "no dab ridge" on my first try attempt.

Any video to support this, or are we just supposed to take your word for it?  LOL...just kidding.  Great job Catman.  ;D
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline jbennardo

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: 2010 Giant XTC29er1
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 09:04:16 PM »
Nice to meet you too Cat! Turns out our missing rider took a tumble down a hill and the people behind him actually rode by and didn't see him because he was so far down. hahaha I guess it's funny because nobody was hurt. He joked about rationing the food in his camelback because he wasn't sure how long he'd be out there.  ;)
Incidentally, I went on a rescue mission through Moonscape to see if he went that way. Ended up just riding it rather than poking my head in. It was only my 3rd time on that so I have to start working the harder options in.
Rode Gatorback tonight and still ended up walking a few of the climbs. Again, only my 2nd or 3rd time. Took a nasty spill at the bottom of a drop.. just wasn't paying attention, was tired too. bruised my ego more than anything. Gotta see how the film came out.  ;D

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 10:41:42 PM »

Fear of being pushed off the side of the ridge  :D

You still whining about that.....Just because you fell 20 feet into a tree, doesn't mean that you should be complaining still ;)

Advertisement: