Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: TIRES: FAST,EASY ROLLING AND GREAT IN TURNS, BUT LIGHT?  (Read 2737 times)

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
TIRES: FAST,EASY ROLLING AND GREAT IN TURNS, BUT LIGHT?
« on: April 22, 2009, 09:11:21 AM »
Ok, I've used Conti Fire XC Pro 2.1's, Conti 2.3(skinny for 2.3),Kenda Nevegal 2.3 DTC (Tractor tires!),Kenda 2.1 Nevegal DTC and WTB Mutorapter 2.4's.

Finally settled on the WTB mutos cause they are lighter than the other 2.1's, roll pretty fast, turn good and have the high volume casing.

Tom, just got the Ellsworth Epi yesterday ( was a Demo bike), it has the 2.3 Kenda Nevagals... he like I, was NOT impressed with the rolling speeds of ( the effort it takes to go fast on streights)

So, what do you use? To meet the requirements listed for the subject of this thread?
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Online chisel

• Yellow Jersey
Re: TIRES: FAST,EASY ROLLING AND GREAT IN TURNS, BUT LIGHT?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 09:28:26 AM »
2.3 is too big. try a kozmic lite II.rolls so fast and only weighs 450 grams

Offline rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 09:44:27 AM »
i've had good luck ith Maxxis Ignitor eXception 2.1's. they are around 550g, are ramped down the center to roll pretty fast, & aggressive side knobs in a softer compound that bite pretty well in most terrrain. an all-arounder that is not perfect - but covers most bases well.

Offline rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 09:47:46 AM »
They roll fast and grip very well. I have managed to tear a few and pinch flat them like crazy.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 10:24:21 AM »
Specialized Captains or Michelin XCR Dry2's

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 10:40:22 AM »
My Epiphany rolls with small block 8 tires and meets all the requirments you have listed. 

I have tested the cornering out at boyette in the quads with Dr. Rick and have not lost there on any of the corners.  Also had great cornering at Santos with all the brown ice out there on them as well.

Same basic tread pattern as the Nevegals but at a much lower profile.  use the same on my SS as well.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline Clay

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 10:42:35 AM »
Ditto what Pariah said, you should try out the small bolcks. Love the tread pattern and perfect for our riding conditions!

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 10:54:15 AM »
Pariah, you use the 1.95 or 2.10 size?

They turn well in sandy corners? They are listed as hardpac tires.

Thanks to all that have answered.
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 11:02:33 AM »
The SB8's aren't great in super loose or muddy conditions for 90% of what we ride here, they are great.  I would use it as a rear and use something like a Kenda Blue Groove for the front.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Online chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 12:11:05 PM »
the specialized fast traks i have been riding have been very grippy but dont roll as fast as the kozmics.

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 12:36:55 PM »

Using the 2.10 I have no complaints with them.  I have had no issues with tham at Croom and we don't ride anything with more sand than Croom.

If you, or your friend are concerned Bill has a point - use them on the back and a more agressive tire up front.  I use the SB8 on both the front and back and haven't had any issues.  I have used them in slightly muddy conditions and have noticed they shed mud (not clay, no tire sheds wet clay well) reasonably well and if they loose any traction it is usually on wet roots that are slightly off camber and chances are I'd have lost traction there regardless of tire selection, or I just failed to distribute my weight correctly.

The SB8 will drift a little more than a more aggressive tire, but once you experience that and understand that you aren't washing out...merely drifting you'll rip through stuff.

This is just my opinion on the tires, maybe I've just had good luck, but I trust the tire.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

naked indian

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 12:41:48 PM »

Using the 2.10 I have no complaints with them.  I have had no issues with tham at Croom and we don't ride anything with more sand than Croom.

If you, or your friend are concerned Bill has a point - use them on the back and a more agressive tire up front.  I use the SB8 on both the front and back and haven't had any issues.  I have used them in slightly muddy conditions and have noticed they shed mud (not clay, no tire sheds wet clay well) reasonably well and if they loose any traction it is usually on wet roots that are slightly off camber and chances are I'd have lost traction there regardless of tire selection, or I just failed to distribute my weight correctly.

The SB8 will drift a little more than a more aggressive tire, but once you experience that and understand that you aren't washing out...merely drifting you'll rip through stuff.

This is just my opinion on the tires, maybe I've just had good luck, but I trust the tire.

IMO, IF I was sponsored by Kenda and given the right event, I would use a Small Block 8.  BUT, if you are riding and needing a tire that is DEPENDABLE, the SB8 gets a NI seal of FAILURE.  Sidewall explosion at the Ididaride 2008, 4 mile walk. 7 inch tear on the sidewall.  I will Never buy SB8 again, I like riding, not walking.

YMMV.

;D

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 01:53:21 PM »
Bummed to hear that Karlos.  Life experiences certainly affect the views don't they?

That's the comprimise with most light weight tires - durability and sidewall protection.  Thankfully I have now experienced a sidewall tear/blow out.  I wonder what did that damage to your tire ??

naked indian

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 02:08:02 PM »
Bummed to hear that Karlos.  Life experiences certainly affect the views don't they?

That's the comprimise with most light weight tires - durability and sidewall protection.  Thankfully I have now experienced a sidewall tear/blow out.  I wonder what did that damage to your tire ??

It was that treacherous terrain at the Ididaride. 

IDK...LOL what did it, but like I said, it was an awesome tire up to that day and if I was sponsored by Kenda and I could put a new set on for certain events I totally would.

BUT, being that this is not the case... I go with heavy and reliable.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2009, 10:45:36 PM »

Ditto, but they are actually 480 grams.....they even say so on the sidewall.

Advertisement: