Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: How many enjoy the Croom Trails?  (Read 4832 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
How many enjoy the Croom Trails?
« on: April 22, 2009, 05:48:09 PM »
Curious as to how many on here, or people you may know that are not on here, that enjoy the Croom Mountain Bike Trail System?

There is some scuttle butt about perhaps mountain biking isnít really needed in Hernando County and the Croom Forest.  I beg to differ on this.  I think Croom is one awesome place to get long mileage, varied terrain, and get in a great workout.  Not to mention that just down the road from the trailhead is great campsites; also a few hotels in the area, eateries, convenient gas stations, and a kick ass EMS team. ;-)

Anyway, just curious as to how much interest there is out there in the Croom Off-Road Bike Trails.  And, what businesses do you use when in the area?

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: How many enjoy the Croom Trails?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 06:03:25 PM »
I'll of course jump on this one.  Probably get another smite or two from the smite-rodents, but that's ok.  I think Croom is a fantastic place to ride (XC), and have 2 friends who feel the same way.  Also, I met a van load of guys up at Santos who are big fans (and regular riders) of the place as well.

In terms of local businesses, I've stopped more than a couple of times at the Kangaroo gas station/mini-mart at the corner of 41 & Croom rd, and also frequent the Publix in Brooksville and the health food store there as well quite often when I pass to do a ride.

Also, I'm not sure how many of the riders are on the boards here, but I generally see at least a couple of cars with bike racks in the lot when I ride there, and frequently there are 3 or 4 more than that.

naked indian

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 06:25:47 PM »
I'll of course jump on this one.  Probably get another smite or two from the smite-rodents, but that's ok.  I think Croom is a fantastic place to ride (XC), and have 2 friends who feel the same way.  Also, I met a van load of guys up at Santos who are big fans (and regular riders) of the place as well.

In terms of local businesses, I've stopped more than a couple of times at the Kangaroo gas station/mini-mart at the corner of 41 & Croom rd, and also frequent the Publix in Brooksville and the health food store there as well quite often when I pass to do a ride.

Also, I'm not sure how many of the riders are on the boards here, but I generally see at least a couple of cars with bike racks in the lot when I ride there, and frequently there are 3 or 4 more than that.

I concur.  Santos and Croom are tied for my favorite places to ride.  They are the closest to me and everytime I travel that way I use the business along the way. 

Its a completely different riding experience vs what the West Florida parks have to offer and sometimes what I prefer in my style of riding.  Opportunities for lots of miles, solitude, beauty and Nature.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 06:33:06 PM »
Never been there, and will probably never go. Not my thing, I think Boyette is too tame. ;)  That said we don't need another MTB place in FL to get closed down, there are plenty of people that ride up there.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 06:33:54 PM »
Curious as to how many on here, or people you may know that are not on here, that enjoy the Croom Mountain Bike Trail System?

I've never been to Croom
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Luis

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 06:40:57 PM »
Croom is probably my favorite place to ride (after Razorback RIP).  Yes it's not technical but that's not why I go there...

It would take a lot more than a couple of Forest Service "NO BIKES" signs to keep me off of that trail...

What's the deal Garry? Who's making those ridiculous comments?

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 06:49:54 PM »
I'll just say this - just some ramblings from a neer do well who probably should not have spoken.

Also, the mountain biking community should let the area businesses know who we are, why we are in the area spending money, and we are thankful they are there...just for future use. ;-)

naked indian

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 06:53:40 PM »
I'll just say this - just some ramblings from a neer do well who probably should not have spoken.

Also, the mountain biking community should let the area businesses know who we are, why we are in the area spending money, and we are thankful they are there...just for future use. ;-)

"Neer do welll".... boy sounds juicy!!! 

Offline MtKillanewbieDH

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
  • Favorite Trail: BullJake
  • My Bike: Trucker
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 07:14:11 PM »
I frequent Croom. If they try to close the Croom MTB trails, I will cry like a little girl. Will that help?
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx
Simplify and add lightness - Colin Chapman

Offline Meerkat Surprise

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 07:26:16 PM »
For MTB, 70% of my rides and 90% of my miles come at Croom. It's the closest trail system to me by a good margin. As far as patronizing business on the way...just about never...it's too close to the house to bother stopping, and I'm an unemployed student with little/no money to spend anyway.

Aside: Are the hiking/horse trails facing the same scuttlebutt?

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 07:41:02 PM »
Went once...not really my thing.. I say the more trail systems the better.  Everyone enjoys different types of trails/ riding etc.... who knows maybe one day I will go back.
2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Offline jimn213

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: is fast, but I'm not...
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 07:47:34 PM »
I like the place a lot...just not during the dry season(s).  In the summer/fall, with regular rains, that place is pure Florida single-track goodness.  When I do ride there, I  patronize local businesses. 

Jim
Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world.
- Publilius Syrus (1st guy ever on a mailing list)

Offline Stumpjumper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 08:54:19 PM »
I like riding there, get a great cardio ride.  Riding in the sand is not my favorite place to ride, but we have sand everywhere, just not as much.  The last club ride there were places where the sand was awful, but I had a great ride there.
What was I THINKING !!!!!!

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 09:29:54 PM »
Aside: Are the hiking/horse trails facing the same scuttlebutt?
Nope

Offline rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 09:37:52 PM »
i ride there. great place to go for some miles and smiles.

Advertisement: