Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Too much travel?  (Read 4909 times)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Too much travel?
« on: April 28, 2009, 03:20:37 PM »
Anyone ever buy a bike only to find out it has too much travel and is thus overkill? I have a friend of a friend asking for advice from me but he keeps leaning towards a bike with over six inches of rear travel which is obviously overkill for our local trails as well as a fun killer for climbs like we see on the new ridgeline trails. Not to mention it will be bascially worthless for XC like the two mile trip from the parking lot at Boyette.

I doubt he will be doing much in the way of out of state trips since he is an avid snowboarder so that accounts for the yearly vacations.

Would love some horror stories to scare him away from getting stuck with a boat anchor.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
Re: Too much travel?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 03:23:46 PM »
Although the guys he rides with are on 6.0, 6.2 and 5.7's so maybe it is do as we do not as we say? He is somewhat of a newbie though.

Luis

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 03:25:36 PM »
I bought an 80mm Reba 29 for my bike and found that it had way too much travel...

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 03:32:02 PM »
To scare him, try this,

Fork travel is directly proportional to over-the-bar incident.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 03:33:58 PM »
I figured the full rigid cult would speak up first.

Offline Jim DeLuca

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 03:40:52 PM »
Just my opinion, but my 80 mil Reba's is plenty.  My other bike is rigid, and I get by with that, but if I ever do go with a suspension fork on it I will go with the same 80 mil Reba.

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 03:41:11 PM »
Anyone ever buy a bike only to find out it has too much travel and is thus overkill? I have a friend of a friend asking for advice from me but he keeps leaning towards a bike with over six inches of rear travel which is obviously overkill for our local trails as well as a fun killer for climbs like we see on the new ridgeline trails. Not to mention it will be bascially worthless for XC like the two mile trip from the parking lot at Boyette.

I doubt he will be doing much in the way of out of state trips since he is an avid snowboarder so that accounts for the yearly vacations.

Would love some horror stories to scare him away from getting stuck with a boat anchor.
I figured the full rigid cult would speak up first.

??? ??? ???

You asked to scare "a friend of a friend" and I respond based on honest experience.
Labeling somebody for whatever stupid bike he rides is very uncool  :(

Luis

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 03:46:29 PM »
Seriously, unless you're hitting the drops at Santos, where would 6" of travel be necessary here?

That said fun can be had on any bike, and I've seen people rip the same trails in full rigid one speeds and big freeride bikes...

Let you're friend buy what makes him happy...

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 03:50:36 PM »
It really just depends on what your friend of a friend wants to get out of riding - if he's looking to just have fun (and is reasonably fit), there is nothing wrong with getting a 6"+ travel bike especially considering how good the designs are today, but he should be aware of the other baggage that generally comes with longer suspension designs -

1.  Heavier weight
2.  Higher bottom brackets (higher center of gravity, can be a little less stable on slow stuff)
3.  Slacker headtube angles - slower steering, harder to keep down on climbs, more stable at speed
4.  Slacker seattube angles - more weight in the back, not as good of climber (can feel like you are pedaling a recumbent)
5.  Expensive components - to do a longer travel bike right, the stuff is more expensive (or it is ridiculously heavy or a poor performer) - if I was building up 6" travel bike, you'd want a Fox 36 or a  Lyrik on it and those forks are $$$, and then you'd need a strong wheelset, more capable brakes, etc...

If you are fit enough, you can really do any of the local climbs on a 6"+ travel bike, though it wouldn't be as much fun...but then again, who really has fun on the climbs ;)
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 04:45:00 PM »
All the local climbs are do-able with 6"+ plus travel...albeit not fun, but doable even on my bike (5' of travel  ;D ). That being said I intend on using my travel when possible, as demonstrated a few weeks ago. To each their own. If they have money to do it, why not?
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 05:32:26 PM »
There really is no need for 5 an 6 inch travel bikes for the trails that we enjoy not only here in Florida, but generally in the Southeastern USA.

With that said - 5 and 6 inch travel bike riders do find those occasional trails where the extra suspension is advised, and/or if ridden that way off of obstacles.  Santos certainly has their place for it, but only a couple of sections to ride over and over again; and one or two trails at Alafia can benefit from it if you hit those over and over in that way. 

It is well known in the biking industry that if you want a bike that climbs - long travel is NOT the way to go.  That is NOT what suspension is for.  Most all XC, AllMountain, and Enduro style of bikes will fall in the 3 to 4 inch category. (80mm=3in; 100mm=4in; 120mm=4.75in.)

If your friend is going out West and plans to hit some gnarly downhill trails often then a long travel DH 32 to 42 lb. bike might be in his future.  I just canít see buying the extra weight and componentry for something that will only get a smidgen of itís potential used.  But hey, Iím a cross country freak and like to go fast and for long mileage.  If Iím not 12 to 15 miles away from where I parked then I feel like I havenít left the parking lot.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 05:44:07 PM »
My old bike had 110mm, and it wasn't enough travel for me and the way I like to ride. I bought my Rize and I think it is perfect. 130mm front and rear, 26lbs, I can climb just about anything on it, and I can bomb down things the way I want to. Long rides are a non-issue, my regular rides are 20-25 miles. I usually ride my SS on rides like the Tour de Felesco or the Santos Epic, but my buddies usually ride their Rize on those rides. The days where a 5" bike was too heavy and wouldn't pedal well are over.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 05:57:03 PM »
The days where a 5" bike was too heavy and wouldn't pedal well are over.
Shorter, stiffer travel is a more efficient pedaling system.  Not to say someone can't benefit from a bit more travel in certain circumstances.  But, as with anything, it's an individualistic choice of what to compromise on.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 06:22:46 PM »
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 07:44:54 PM »
To each their own.

Exactly.

I concur. 

It seems like most of the "mileage pushers" prefer the shorter travel bikes.   Most of the guys I ride with run 5"+ , love the extra amount travel and the bikes are pretty efficient for aggressive XC riding.  I currently run 5.5 and would never go less than that.  I even tried running my front fork down to 100mm and did not like it at all.

If only I could have 5' of travel like KRUNCH!
2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Advertisement: