Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Tom Brown park and Magnolia trail?  (Read 1661 times)

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
Tom Brown park and Magnolia trail?
« on: April 30, 2009, 09:54:18 AM »
I will be in Tallahassee this weekend for a graduation and will be riding this trail system, any one have any first hand knowledge of this trail? Everything I have read describes it as a 6 mile loop with a few technical drops and climbs. New trails are always cool, I will post my ride impression of the trail when I get back :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 09:56:35 AM by Scott »

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Re: Tom Brown park and Magnolia trail?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 10:03:33 AM »
All I can tell you is someone at my LBS advised me to try the trails up on Tallahassee so I can only imagine that they don't suck.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 10:39:19 AM »
I used to live next Tom Brown but I didn't ride back then. I've been back several times though and have ridden it. It can be a pretty fun ride. I think you should ride it for sure. A couple of times it was in rough shape but it has also been in great shape. It's been 2 years since I last rode there. It seemed farther than 6 miles but I guess that could be about right. There is a BMX track next to the parking area. There was also a womens prison there. So check that out.  ;)
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 11:04:37 AM »
Sweet, Women, Bondage and Bikes. Sounds like a great weekend ;D

Offline Meerkat Surprise

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 11:47:18 AM »
I've ridden it a few times in the last two years. It isn't as good as Alafia or Boyette, but still worth going if you're there. There are a couple of drops, but nothing too technical. I skipped the log crossing...too big a penalty for failure. Be sure to take a map, as some of the intersections can be confusing. Oh, and your climbing legs...the hill by the prison is a nice extended climb, followed by the reward of a long downhill.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 11:50:32 AM »
Sounding better and better :) This should be a cool ride, what kind of trail traffic should I expect on a Saturday morning?

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 01:42:33 PM »
Sounding better and better :) This should be a cool ride, what kind of trail traffic should I expect on a Saturday morning?

There wasn't much. On Saturday mornings most college kids are still sleeping it off.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 01:48:15 PM »
I did one of the FSC races there and really liked the course - nothing that was over my head tech wise and you know I am not that technical of a rider - you will have fun...bring the climbing legs

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 05:24:12 PM »
i really like the trails there. they also have a nice bmx track at the park that is always open. 8)

Offline jcoats

• First Bike
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 09:45:25 PM »
Tom Brown is actually a pretty big park.  When you see the bmx track, hang a right and find the grass parking lot next to a big playground on your left.  Behind the playground is a paved multi-purpose path that sort of splits the trails apart.  From the parking area, cross over the paved path and follow the signs for Cadillac Trail.  It starts out flat but gets much better as you go, and you can do a few miles out and back.  That side of the park is by far the best.  After you're done on that side, check out Magnolia and the others.  Have fun!

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 09:51:28 PM »
Sweet, thanks for the input guys :)

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2009, 09:30:55 PM »
I rode Tom Brown today and thought I would share my experience. You guys are right, this is a HUGE park with not only bike trails but a bmx trak which we rode(cool) frisbee golf, off road RC track which we watched, canoe trails, kiddie play equiptment, something for everyone. Upon arriving and not knowing where I was going I found one car with a bike leaving so at least I found the trail head. Shortly after parking, my new found friend and personal tour guide Keith rolls up in a Corvette sporting a full carbon FSR (which by the way I never heard creak once ;D) Our ride began on Caddilac, this trail is crazy fast and seems to always flow downhill, the trail base is clay which makes it fast and provides great traction. There are numerous man made obstacles including a skinny teeter totter, skinny bridges and wood step ups all worked into the natural terrain which includes a lot of whoops, climbs and bermed turns. The one highlight to this side was a huge rock garden decent which turned out to be the end of the out and back trail SO we turned the bikes around hit the water bottles for a little juice and made a run at the climb back up which is a steep S turn, rock strewn monster!!!! Two attempts each, two dejections :'(  a great reason to return :P This trail is everything I heard it was and a LOT more. If you are in the area it is certainly worth a ride. A big thanks to Keith from Orlando for the tour :)

Advertisement: