Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Am i the only one getting lazy?  (Read 2321 times)

Offline nick

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • My Bike: MTB-05 Giant Trance /Road-2010 CAAD9-4 Black
Am i the only one getting lazy?
« on: May 01, 2009, 06:44:46 AM »
I find myself just jumping on the road bike on the weekends. I can wake up at seven am. go ride for two or three hours and get fifty or so miles in. The mountain bike on the other hand....leave at seven, drive for two hours, ride for two hours, then drive back for two hours. I do really enjoy it more the road riding but it just the drive that kills it for me. The bike has just been sitting for a couple months now, need to get a cableset on it also. Anyone find themselves jumping on the road bike more and more?

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
Re: Am i the only one getting lazy?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 07:29:16 AM »
Road riding is the eaisest way for me to ride these days. Though I hate it comapred to riding in dirt it is the next best thing. I hate to admidt I've also been running a few days a week. I do it for weight control. It takes the least amount of time for me.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 08:13:19 AM »
I'm sure I would if I only had a road bike. But then again, it's only 45min away for me.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 08:23:51 AM »
Road riding is easiest for most of us since it is generally right out the door and go.  I have a couple of parks and "off-road" connectors from road section to road section near me that I can take my mountain bike on here in St. Petersburg. 

One - Weedons Island - has a couple of miles of trails that the director recently CLOSED to bicycles!  You go Pinellas County!  About as bike friendly as a cactus garden. 

Anyway, sometimes you have to make a conscious decision to getting your dirt fix.  I really don't like to get less than a 3 hour MTB ride, and if I drive to Santos - 2 hours - I like that to be at least 4 hours ride time. 

Boyette and Morris Bridge are about 45/50 minutes from me and both I can spend as much time as I like riding.  A complete loop of everything is 25 miles each, and for another loop through some fun sections I can add another 10 or so. 

I love riding in the woods way better than riding on the road, but reality is I love biking so road riding gets in the mix.  It is tough enough for me to not be able to go MTB because of injury, let alone to not because it's inconvenient to get to. 

I know what you're saying as I have found myself in that same position.  So I plan my MTB time ahead of time, or go find dirt I can ride in "Bike Friendly As A Cactus Garden" Pinellas County.  I don't know where you live, but check some bike shops or Google for some trails nearer to you than 2 hours?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 08:26:21 AM by Garry »

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 08:41:20 AM »
Garry,

are you doing any of the st pete am group rides during the week?

I haven't done any this year.  I have been riding my bike to and from work instead but I am thinking I might want to do that again...the pm ride home from work has gotten a bit sketchy with traffic that last couple of times I have done it.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 08:51:40 AM »
I've done one of those rides in the last two months.  Just in the last few days things have calmed down a bit with my back and hip area issue to the point that I did a leisure 11 mile ride last night that wasn't too bad.  I will probably only do a few of those until I finish my PT in 4 weeks.

You know it's strange, it seems that the auto traffic goes in spurts.  Sometimes they are ultra cautious that you are there, then other times it's like they just don't give a s--t!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 08:59:41 AM »
I've done one of those rides in the last two months.  Just in the last few days things have calmed down a bit with my back and hip area issue to the point that I did a leisure 11 mile ride last night that wasn't too bad.  I will probably only do a few of those until I finish my PT in 4 weeks.

You know it's strange, it seems that the auto traffic goes in spurts.  Sometimes they are ultra cautious that you are there, then other times it's like they just don't give a s--t!

let me know a day ahead of time if you are going to do one of those rides and I will make it out (you are talking about the ones that leave from vinoy park right?)

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 09:19:44 AM »

let me know a day ahead of time if you are going to do one of those rides and I will make it out (you are talking about the ones that leave from vinoy park right?)
Yes, I usually make the 8:30 ones.  I hope to get those back in the routine as soon as the healing gets better.  I doubt that I will make this falls race season, because I need to build up my base mileage again.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 09:25:21 AM »
I have a road bike but it just sits in the garage as I'm only 15 mins from Alafia and Boyette and maybe 30-40 from Carter. If I was an hour of so away from these awesome parks I'd certainly find myself on the road bike to fill in the gaps.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 09:41:44 AM »

Yes, I usually make the 8:30 ones.  I hope to get those back in the routine as soon as the healing gets better.  I doubt that I will make this falls race season, because I need to build up my base mileage again.

I have been in the base stage for a while and as mind numbing as it is....it is really really starting to show me results...I am glad I toughed it out and did it

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 12:13:58 PM »
I find myself just jumping on the road bike on the weekends. I can wake up at seven am. go ride for two or three hours and get fifty or so miles in. The mountain bike on the other hand....leave at seven, drive for two hours, ride for two hours, then drive back for two hours. I do really enjoy it more the road riding but it just the drive that kills it for me. The bike has just been sitting for a couple months now, need to get a cableset on it also. Anyone find themselves jumping on the road bike more and more?

I hear ya, i wish i lived closer to the off-road trails but i do live right on the Pinellas Trail so i have no excuse as to why not throw on the skinnies on the MTB and go trail dusting for 20mi after work and hope to get in 30-40 off-roading on the weekends(when i can get out).

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 10:54:27 PM »
I love the dirt, but I am really starting to like this roadie thing 8)

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 08:32:34 AM »
No way am I going to ride on the road.  Have you seen the way some of the people drive around here?

Cell phones, texting, eating, reading the paper, shaving, applying makeup, getting dressed, yelling at their kids, nursing an infant, masturbating, and even having sex.  Not to mention the blue hairs having heart attacks while driving.

Much safer to stay on the dirt.  ;D
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 03:04:57 PM »
I live 5 minutes from the Suncoast Trail but I still don't ride road.  I don't have a road bike and still being unemployed, can't see one anytime soon.  I'd like to eventually get a cross bike or commuter type bike and hit the suncoast trail since its car free for 42 miles one way.
07 Redline Monocog Flight 29'er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)
07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3 (The One That Started It All)

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 05:08:26 PM »
I bought my road bike a couple months ago as a training tool to keep pace with the fast pack, but it has become something bigger than that. I really thought it would be boring but found it to be anything but, a fast pace line is as good as it gets. The fact that I found a new 07 at a great price did'nt hurt either :)

Advertisement: