SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Yesterday at 10:13:36 PM] Skinman: I need a Eurotrash girl and a bike ride

[Yesterday at 10:15:15 PM] Skinman: Coach...wanna ride Croom w/us tomorrow?

[Yesterday at 10:23:37 PM] Coach: Love to, but the girls are reading at church

[Yesterday at 10:24:13 PM] Coach: Enjoy it!  Its been a long wait.

[Yesterday at 10:28:29 PM] mmountainbiker: anyone riding morris bridge tomorrow?

[Yesterday at 10:37:16 PM] Skinman: Its gonna be a 

[Yesterday at 10:37:20 PM] Skinman: RIDE FOR ME...

[Yesterday at 10:37:38 PM] Skinman: oH WAIT, THAT DIDNT WORK OUT SO WELL LAST TIME! LOL

[Yesterday at 10:38:02 PM] Skinman: oops...caps lock on

[Yesterday at 10:38:29 PM] Skinman: 60% ride for me was what i tried to say

[Yesterday at 11:02:53 PM] Coach: That only works if you ride with me!

[Yesterday at 11:03:25 PM] Coach: Those guys are gonna dust you!   ...JK

Advanced search  

News:

SWAMP Forums are available to anyone who wants to join in, register now for free by clicking the register link near the top of this page. Registered guests who login have access to additional boards and topics. Please note that all official SWAMP club communications still come from the Yahoo! e-group.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Clipless over platform?  (Read 927 times)

cardalico

• First Bike
Clipless over platform?
« on: May 02, 2009, 10:19:24 PM »
I have been using clipless pedals now for almost 2 months now, and i am considering going back to platform.  I would call myself an advanced rider, but i find myself wrecking on stupid sections that normally don't give me any trouble at all, ( i.e. soft sand, switchbacks, and rooted areas). Not sure if i should suck it up or switch back to plats. Anyone have this same problem, or have any suggestions?  And does anyone really notice difference when riding with clippless? I only notice a difference with XC riding.

Garry

• Global Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
Re: Clipless over platform?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 10:28:55 PM »
Not sure what is causing you to crash - but you actually do get a more efficient and more powerfull pedal stroke with clips.  With practice your balance should be better too.  Perhaps you have them set too tight and need to adjust them?  Might just be that you need practice getting in and out until it is fluid and second nature.  Maybe even have a couple of riding buddies critique your riding style and see if they can SEE what is causing the issue.  A set of eyes observing form a few feet away can give you a whole different perspective.

ClintonRH

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 11:56:40 PM »
I'm not advanced. I'd place myself solidly in the middle of intermediate right now but I hate platforms. Can't stand them. I like to be light on the pedals and spin to save my knees whenever possible and you can't do that well with platforms. When I got my current MTB it had platforms and I gave it one ride before I ditched them. My feet kept getting knocked off the pedals and when I took a big gouge out of my shin on the pedal cage that was the end of that experiment. I ordered  two set of eggbeaters the same day. I was already using candies on my commuter and my cross bike was in the mail. I later moved the candies to my hardrock and the beater currently has no pedals because one of my eggbeaters is seized up and needs to be greased and maybe RMA'd. Only time I dislike clipless is when I stop to check out a descent I've never tried before before I take the plunge. Even with my super-easy to clip candies that have a reasonably useful platform it can be a unnerving to get clipped in in the second or so between when you push off and when you're committed to the descent. 

Scott

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 09:23:03 AM »
The pedal may not be helping the situation, I tried the eggbeaters a couple years ago due to their lite weight. I really wanted to keep these pedals, I tried shims, different shoes, but in the end just could not getin and out of them cosistantly and went back to my SPD's. For the type of riding we do in Fla, I can't imagine not being clipped in :)

Slowy

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 01:40:19 PM »
I would call myself an advanced rider, but i find myself wrecking on stupid sections that normally don't give me any trouble at all, ( i.e. soft sand, switchbacks, and rooted areas).
I'm not advanced. I'd place myself solidly in the middle of intermediate right now but I hate platforms.

do what?
are you saying you're advanced on platforms but int with clipless?

i HATED clipless for about the first month or so. i work on trackstands whenever we're sitting around to help my balance (it helps tremendously, and folks get a good laugh when i'm doing one and fall over cuz i can't get my foot out, haha)
i have mine set about as loose as you can make em
Joe

"a smite a day keeps the trailbugs away"!

cardalico

• First Bike
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
Im guessing i just need too tune in my track stand position.  Im thinking that should help out, cause my problem ares seem to be when im going slow. I dont think im ditching clipless yet. 

silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 04:27:18 PM »
I recently switch to clipless and I can tell you there is definately an advantage to them, However I can also say at times I think about switching back. For me everything that was easy on platforms is really easy on clipless, except sand pits. But I haven't done anything really challenging since I got them because I'm affraid of a major wreck, a broken ankle would mess up my career. Little by little I'm doing the more challenging trails again with less fear each time. There is definately a learning curve, especially since I'm using time atacs. the times are great once I broke them in which took over a month.
My bottom line is they are worth it by far, my biggest issue before was my feet slipping off my pedals, with the clipless I don't have to think about it and pedaling in circles makes you go faster!

catman

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 07:16:55 PM »
I tried clipless years ago for about 3 months and while I noticed a marked improvement in my XC riding it was not worth the risk on the black diamond trails. I switched back to platforms and have only briefly entertained trying some higher end clipless pedals. I used Shiman SPD's and since then people have told me that there are a lot better pedals out there (like time). I have super gnarly and very expense freeride pedals and I wear shin guards just in case as they have previously ripped open the back of my legs (they look like meat grinders). I can make just about everything our local trails have to offer but don't talk to me about 25 mile XC rides.I often see even experienced guys bloody themselves for no reason just because there was no time to unclip or they torqued out and it just wasn't possible to get off the bike. I don't care what anyone says, you are gonna get hurt quite a bit worse if you crash if you are clipped in. You just have to decide if the advantages are worth it to you.To each his own but I just have way more fun riding if I know I can easily bail. Having said that, if I mainly rode Flatwoods and the easy stuff at Boyette I'd most likely go clipless. In fact, I ended up with some SPD's with a platform built into them and I'm gonna try those when doing XC stuff.

It should be noted that MOST people who regularly ride are clipped in.
Well, at least I'll have cool scars to show my grandkids.

Slowy

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 08:25:11 PM »
^ agreed.
if i was doing free-ride or jumping, clipless would NOT be the way i would go. but for xc, it's nice being able to pedal over the roots without your feet bobbling all over
Joe

"a smite a day keeps the trailbugs away"!

Scott

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
Saying times are better than Shimano is like saying Giant is better than Specialized, they all have their strengths. Times shed mud better than SPD's, but don't dab and thats not an issue. Times are not adjustable nor are the eggbeaters like SPD's. After enough time(no pun intended ;D) with clip ins, coming out is as second nature as you stepping off a platform.

drb81

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 09:48:10 PM »
the time atac series have adjustable tension
[/don]

Scott

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 09:52:30 PM »
True that drb, my badd :)

chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 08:32:42 AM »
catman on flats!! :o dude how can you stand it ? :o ??? you will pick up your game with the clips. 8)

catman

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 10:29:16 AM »
Saying times are better than Shimano is like saying Giant is better than Specialized, they all have their strengths. Times shed mud better than SPD's, but don't dab and thats not an issue. Times are not adjustable nor are the eggbeaters like SPD's. After enough time(no pun intended ;D ) with clip ins, coming out is as second nature as you stepping off a platform.

But Giant is better than Specialized  :D

98% of the experienced mtb'rs I've talked to about this very subject have said to chuck the SPDs for Time. I really don't think it is a Giant vs Specialized thing but rather a what has proven to work best for our local trails. Your basic Shimano SPD's are what come stock on a lot of bikes but I think that is based on the manufacturer being able to get them super cheap in bulk.

Chisel- I do have to step up my game if I plan to ride with you any time soon but I'd much rather put in some training time so I can see the look on your face when I've kept up on my flats  8)
Give me about two years to work on this. I don't like you ripping on my alternative lifestyle of riding flats! Maybe I was born this way and can't do anything about it? I should not be talked down to because the way I love my bike is different than how you do. Platforms are here and they are queer so get used to it!!!
Well, at least I'll have cool scars to show my grandkids.

Scott

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 11:58:27 AM »
I know Giant RULZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ;D as soon as I typed that I was like Dang why did'nt I say TREK :D With the exception of really holding onto that Alafia clay a high end (XT or XTR) pedal will last forever as they are built like a tank (with that comes the price of a few extra grams)and click in and release like butter. I know there are a lot of fans of the Time pedals, I have never tried them as the SPD's fill my needs.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 18 queries.