SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Yesterday at 09:27:03 PM] Skinman: LOL

[Yesterday at 09:27:23 PM] Gregg: i love it when I run away from those guys

[Yesterday at 09:27:41 PM] Skinman: I am now SSG....(Slow Squeeky Guy)

[Yesterday at 09:27:49 PM] Skinman: WBR

[Yesterday at 09:27:59 PM] Gregg: WBR?

[Yesterday at 09:28:00 PM] Skinman: (With Broken Ribs)

[Yesterday at 09:28:14 PM] Gregg: wicked broken rider

[Yesterday at 09:28:19 PM] Gregg: haha

[Yesterday at 09:29:47 PM] Skinman: Time to tuck the kids in.....call u tomorrow!

[Yesterday at 09:29:55 PM] Skinman: Good night.

[Yesterday at 09:32:16 PM] Gregg: cya

Advanced search  

News:

Alafia Trail Map available!
The latest trail map is available in the Alafia Trail Maps section.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Clipless over platform?  (Read 952 times)

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Current Ride: 07' Cannondale Caffeine 29er
Re: Clipless over platform?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 08:03:24 AM »
I have tried SPD, Crank Bros, even speedplay Frogs (ouch) and Times are the best clipless pedal I have ridden. They stay clipped when i want them to, and easy to un-clip when I need them to.

SPD's I was always having to re-adjust them all the time, Crank bro's I could not get out of, and frogs always can un-clipped at the wrong time...

Since I bought the Times, I have none of these issues. Just from my personal experiance.
If your not bleeding, your not having fun!

chisel

• Yellow Jersey
BMX
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 09:05:07 AM »
Saying times are better than Shimano is like saying Giant is better than Specialized, they all have their strengths. Times shed mud better than SPD's, but don't dab and thats not an issue. Times are not adjustable nor are the eggbeaters like SPD's. After enough time(no pun intended ;D ) with clip ins, coming out is as second nature as you stepping off a platform.

But Giant is better than Specialized  :D

98% of the experienced mtb'rs I've talked to about this very subject have said to chuck the SPDs for Time. I really don't think it is a Giant vs Specialized thing but rather a what has proven to work best for our local trails. Your basic Shimano SPD's are what come stock on a lot of bikes but I think that is based on the manufacturer being able to get them super cheap in bulk.

Chisel- I do have to step up my game if I plan to ride with you any time soon but I'd much rather put in some training time so I can see the look on your face when I've kept up on my flats  8)
Give me about two years to work on this. I don't like you ripping on my alternative lifestyle of riding flats! Maybe I was born this way and can't do anything about it? I should not be talked down to because the way I love my bike is different than how you do. Platforms are here and they are queer so get used to it!!!
;D ;D ;D catman you should come out thursday at 7 to the bmx track at boyette with me, it is a blast.  bring your mtb!!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:31:21 PM by Garry »

Garry

• Global Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
Re: BMX
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 09:11:07 AM »
;D ;D ;D catman you should come out thursday at 7 to the bmx track at boyette with me, it is a blast.  bring your mtb!!
Is that BMX track open every day?  They just recently closed and leveled the BMX track in the Tyrone area of St. Petersburg.  St. Pete - striving to be the most bicycle friendly city.  Yea, right.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:31:43 PM by Garry »

chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 09:18:59 AM »
it is open thursday nights from 7- around 10 and saturday nights they have practice followed by races.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:32:08 PM by Garry »

catman

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 02:33:28 PM »
Saying times are better than Shimano is like saying Giant is better than Specialized, they all have their strengths. Times shed mud better than SPD's, but don't dab and thats not an issue. Times are not adjustable nor are the eggbeaters like SPD's. After enough time(no pun intended ;D ) with clip ins, coming out is as second nature as you stepping off a platform.

But Giant is better than Specialized  :D

98% of the experienced mtb'rs I've talked to about this very subject have said to chuck the SPDs for Time. I really don't think it is a Giant vs Specialized thing but rather a what has proven to work best for our local trails. Your basic Shimano SPD's are what come stock on a lot of bikes but I think that is based on the manufacturer being able to get them super cheap in bulk.

Chisel- I do have to step up my game if I plan to ride with you any time soon but I'd much rather put in some training time so I can see the look on your face when I've kept up on my flats  8)
Give me about two years to work on this. I don't like you ripping on my alternative lifestyle of riding flats! Maybe I was born this way and can't do anything about it? I should not be talked down to because the way I love my bike is different than how you do. Platforms are here and they are queer so get used to it!!!

Please give more details? Sounds fun but certainly doesn't seem like I have the bike for it. Do you ride the Ellsworth? You run it like a pump track? Crowded?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:32:36 PM by Garry »
Well, at least I'll have cool scars to show my grandkids.

chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2009, 04:06:02 PM »
I am running my rigid SS and it works very well. The scene is small and very laid back. it has big jumps that can be pumped as well as doubled.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:33:06 PM by Garry »

BillT

• is straight outta Locash.
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 06:38:25 PM »
I may meet you out there one day and give my hardtail a workout.  Does the place require a full face, long pants, pads, etc?  My wife is finishing up her semester right now so I might have a small window of free time during the week that I can go there.

To keep this thread on track - I'd probably use my flats there, though most (if not all) serious BMX racers use clipless now.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:33:39 PM by Garry »
Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy, sir.

chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 07:56:09 AM »
yes bill,full face, long pants and long sleeve shirt. I have been borrowing a helmet from the office.,they have four too borrow. I am riding the clipless pedals out there.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:34:04 PM by Garry »

BillT

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009, 08:19:13 AM »
I have all the gear...just want to make sure that I bring it.  Do they require a top tube and stem pad? 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:34:24 PM by Garry »

chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2009, 03:26:25 PM »
no. 8)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:34:51 PM by Garry »

chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2009, 03:27:08 PM »
i wont be there this thursday but will be next thursday.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:35:07 PM by Garry »

BillT

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 03:36:56 PM »
I may be able to get there next thursday :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:35:25 PM by Garry »

Scott

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 04:27:24 PM »
I may join you guys, I am hoping one of those twelve year olds out there can teach me how to hit that double :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 05:35:43 PM by Garry »

mmountainbiker

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
  • 2009 trek 8000
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 01:02:13 PM »
While it may be true that shimano do not shed mud as well, they do offer a platform of sort when trying to click as someone said before -after you have commited to the hill but arnt clicked in yet. but a few weeks ago when going to hole in the fencefor the first time in years and not looking and knowing there was and entrance trail and a exit trail i suddenly turned to the entrance trail and front wheel dug into the sand and before I could get unclicked I fell over unhindered right on my shoulder. so fast my hands never left the grips. Thank god no one was there. I was ashamed of myself lol
W.A.F. !   who cares. If she don,t like it she can go live with her mother  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKIIxrUKxBg

Triple T

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • aka übermensch
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 01:05:37 PM »
I fell over unhindered right on my shoulder

It was an "old dude" shoulder checking you.  He did it so fast that you never even saw him.
"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."  Friedrich Nietzsche
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.371 seconds with 18 queries.