Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: where to find bolts  (Read 12570 times)

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
where to find bolts
« on: May 03, 2009, 01:52:19 PM »
so one of the bolts broke where my chainstay meets my shock mount pivot. i noticed it saturday before riding alafia. i went to AJ's and they said i'd have to buy the bolt kit, which is fine, i was going to replace the other side too. I was going to have them fix it if they could knock it out so i could go back and ride, but was told they were really busy and couldn't do it till thursday. fine.
since having them fix it and me fix it will take the same time, i was going to do it myself. (which i should have just asked them to buy the kit when i was tehre DOH!
where can i find the bolt kit?
07 Giant Anthem 2

thanks
Joe

"a smite a day keeps the trailbugs away"!

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Re: where to find bolts
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 02:10:53 PM »
I've haven't had any luck finding original equipment at any other place than the dealer. You should post pics of the bolt and maybe you'll get lucky.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 02:27:33 PM »
so one of the bolts broke where my chainstay meets my shock mount pivot. i noticed it saturday before riding alafia. i went to AJ's and they said i'd have to buy the bolt kit, which is fine, i was going to replace the other side too. I was going to have them fix it if they could knock it out so i could go back and ride, but was told they were really busy and couldn't do it till thursday. fine.
since having them fix it and me fix it will take the same time, i was going to do it myself. (which i should have just asked them to buy the kit when i was tehre DOH!
where can i find the bolt kit?
07 Giant Anthem 2

thanks
You can also get "grade-8" bolts from a bolt and fastener supply house.  Tri-City Bolt in Pinellas Park on US 19 carries them.  I got them there for my GT when it broke on that bike.  They can match the thread to what you have. Grade 8 is the hardest you can get I believe.  Or wait for the kit to get delivered.

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 08:27:25 PM »
^i wonder if ace has them
the bolts have a non-threaded section towards the head as well, i wonder if ACE would have those
Joe

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 10:57:02 PM »
If you can get it from Ace that's great but I doubt they'd have exactly what you want though they probably have something that would work in a fix. I imagine that's probably a fairly high-quality bolt under a good deal of shear-stress. I wouldn't want to use a sub-par bolt there as anything other than an emergency fix.
The non-threaded part is called a shoulder I believe.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 11:05:30 PM »
I've had a ton of Giant's and all of the suspension support bolts were special and could not be found at any local supplier. Some, however that have nothing rotating or pivoting on them may be basic metric hardware that you can get at Lowes. Take a picture and post it.

Aj's can always next day air parts for you if you want to pay for that service. I've used it several times to get my bike running for the upcoming weekend. I think they charged me a $15-$20 fee which is well worth not having to sit out a weekend. You may also want to look into a spare bike of lesser quality so you have a back up.

Offline stumpy

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog 29er
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 07:30:50 AM »
Hey Slowy- I work @ Ace on Bloomingdale and Bell Shoals. I'll be back to work tomorrow if you want to bring a bolt by to match up. Or if you post a pic I can probably tell you whether or not I have it. I've got 2 aisles of fasteners, so there's a good chance I've got something high quality for you to use.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 07:42:26 AM »
so one of the bolts broke where my chainstay meets my shock mount pivot.

It must have happened from all of that new found speed and endurance of yours.  The bolt couldn't handle it  ;)
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline Dave In Odessa

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 11:57:40 AM »
Since I'm sure that's a metric bolt, be sure to find a grade 10.9 bolt for replacement.  Grade 8 is the best bolt commonly available in SAE sizes, but metric uses a different numbering system.  Grade 8.8 metric is the same as grade 5 SAE which isn't hardened and can't be trusted on a bike.
07 Redline Monocog Flight 29'er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)
07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3 (The One That Started It All)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 01:21:51 PM »
So did the guys at Aj's fix you up? I'm amazed that they were backlogged almost a week. So much for the poor economy ???

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 02:44:58 PM »
i'm at work now, i'll post my story after work
Joe

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 03:12:12 PM »
Gotta love those Al bolts that Giant uses. They are hyper sensitive to too much or too little torque. You may be able to find a stainless replacement at an actual bolt/fastened shop that carry oddball items that you won't find at a typical hardware store.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 03:29:23 PM »
You know what is really funny. These bikes cost a freaking fortune, sometimes as much as a motorcycle, which has much better suspension and a ton more technology. And yet you are typically stuck buying a kit of some sort just to get the one little (cheap) part you need. I can buy every single individual part for my motorcycle and dirtbike but God forbid I need some little tiny piece for my bicycle and I'm stuck with a large bill and a bunch of extra pieces I dont' really want to replace.

Case and point....was working on a Specialized Epic for the infamous squeak. Found one suspension bearing that was on it's last leg while the others felt fine. Told the guy at the LBS that I need to order this bearing (showed it to him and provided the manufacturer's part number). Few days later I go to pic up the bearing and they hand me a suspension kit to the tune of $100! Said "no thanks" and walked out.

Same thing happened to me on a Sram shifter. Couldn't even buy the shift lever for it.

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 09:37:44 PM »
well, saturday i noticed bolt was broke
went to bike shop, guy said i had to buy bolt kit for 30-40 and they'd replace all bolts for 30 for a bill of $60-70 plus tax. took the bike home
called shop tuesday, guy said that they only order parts on monday and that i'd have to have the bike there by tuesday, but they would schedule it for thursday and have it done by then. asked for an exact price, said i'd get a call back. guy called back and said i may have to buy the pivot/rocker assembly which comes with new shock mount, bearings, bolts for $130, but to bring the bike by cuz he may have a spare bolt or two, which is perfect.
left work wednesday, ran home, grabbed bike, sat in rush hour for like 30-45min went to shop.
was a tad irritated and not being welcomed or noticed when i walked in with bike. counter person was talking to a guy/customer, so i was like 'no biggie' (probably also irritated at sitting in rush hour traffic, lol)
after he was done with that guy, he told me that the guy i spoke to on the phone was on the phone and would be a minute. again probably irritated at rush hour in the heat, it felt like a good 20-30min (but i could be wrong, didn't TIME it)
guy took bike back on rack, looked for a very short time, like less than 5min and said he couldn't find the bolts. he said his master tech wasn't in and he knows where everything is in the shop.
i said cool, i'll just yank the bolt and bring it up on thursday. called shop thursday, spoke with master tech guy, he said he was leaving at 5.
went to ace after work, no luck
gonna try the bike shop once more to see if they can help, 3rd time's a charm eh?
Joe

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 09:40:49 PM »
If you can get it from Ace that's great but I doubt they'd have exactly what you want though they probably have something that would work in a fix. I imagine that's probably a fairly high-quality bolt under a good deal of shear-stress. I wouldn't want to use a sub-par bolt there as anything other than an emergency fix.
The non-threaded part is called a shoulder I believe.

ACE had bolts in the right size, length, and thread pitch, but none with the flat, non threaded section.
i'd imagine that having threads there where the chainstay pivot's would chew through the bearings
Joe

Advertisement: