Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: How do Tsali and Fontana compare to FL trails?  (Read 1192 times)

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
How do Tsali and Fontana compare to FL trails?
« on: May 04, 2009, 01:18:34 PM »
Barbara and I will be heading to NC May 9-12 for some kayaking, hiking, biking, and rock-climbing. We are staying at the Falling Waters Resort, near Bryson City and only 17 minutes from Tsali.

However, I've seen pictures of Tsali, and am afraid we'll be bored with it pretty quickly. We could make the drive to Fontana if it is that much better.

We'll only get one chance to go biking, so I want to make the most of it.

How do Tsali and Fontana compare to the FL trail systems?
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: How do Tsali and Fontana compare to FL trails?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 01:31:36 PM »
Tsali isn't technical at all, but it really is alot of fun...it really is a good introduction to riding in NC.  I'd put the trails there on par with about North Creek, but with more climbing and more descending.  Keep in mind that it takes 2 days to ride all of Tsali as they alternate which days the trails are are open to bikes - I prefer the Thompson and Mouse Branch loops so I would go when they are open if you only have 1 day.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 02:25:27 PM »
I agree with BillT. Lots of flowy trail, nothing particularly technical. You will have more sustained climbs and longer downhills than the average Florida trail. In my opinion, the trails are faster and flow better than North Creek. Some nice views of the lake, too.

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 03:28:03 PM »
By comparing it to North Creek, do you mean technically wise? All the pictures I see of Tsali look like Flatwoods with hills. Not a root, log, or rock in sight.
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 03:55:16 PM »
By comparing it to North Creek, do you mean technically wise? All the pictures I see of Tsali look like Flatwoods with hills. Not a root, log, or rock in sight.

About that...you have to remember that things get harder the more you exert yourself (on the longer climbs than you would see in Florida) and the faster you go (on the longer descents).  If it is your first time riding up there, you really won't be disappointed.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 04:33:03 PM »
I liked Tsali, got to ride all 4 trails while I was there. While it wasn't technical, it was still alot of fun. Personally I prefered Left Loop, and Right Loop, the climbs up to the overlooks and the views were awesome. Another good trail that isn't far from Tsali is Flint Ridge, it is located behind NOC.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Advertisement: