Author Topic: So What's Next.....The BIG O, wanna JOIN.  (Read 10695 times)

naked indian

So What's Next.....The BIG O, wanna JOIN.
« on: May 05, 2009, 10:22:17 AM »
June 13th I would LIke to head down to the kissimee river trail head and do the Gigantic Circumnavigation of Lake Okeechobee again.

Here is the tentative plan:

STart ride at 4am.  Get all the Gravel Grinding out the way.
Stop at 12pm, rest, eat, hang out, take a nap, visit a town, this is all in the works still folks.
2pm Push and finish the ride.

Stats: 120 miles.  Off road for 40, the rest on bike path and or roads.

The more that come the more we can protect each other from the winds.

Self supported with resupply spots along the way.

No entry fee needed~!

Who's IN?

Let me know, I would like at least one brave soul to join me.  I am going to ride my cyclocross bike with tri bars...

Offline Daniel

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: So What's Next.....The BIG O, wanna JOIN.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 11:00:50 AM »
Sounds great. I question my ability to keep up pace with you. I have no efficient road or cross bike at the moment.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents" H.P. Lovecraft

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 11:04:02 AM »
I might use this ride to give some folks a sneak peak at the progress that my training has been making

it is penciled in as of right now

naked indian

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 11:05:01 AM »
Sounds great. I question my ability to keep up pace with you. I have no efficient road or cross bike at the moment.

There is about 40 miles of dirt.  So if you dont own a cross, a MTB is the logical choice.  Pace will be around the 14mph range. Or less, were touring, its for fun after all!!!

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 11:08:33 AM »

There is about 40 miles of dirt.  So if you dont own a cross, a MTB is the logical choice.  Pace will be around the 14mph range. Or less, were touring, its for fun after all!!!

if I were a betting man, i would bet on it being faster - I know the usual suspects that are involved...haha

Offline Daniel

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 11:20:58 AM »
I with Factor on the speed. The one group ride I attended I ran with b group as I was told it would be around 8-12 mph. We averaged 14+ and I got smoked. Not fun :(
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents" H.P. Lovecraft

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 11:22:07 AM »
I felt the same way...so I have been doing everything possible to improve my overall speed to be able to keep up

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 01:51:45 PM »
I am officially in for this.  Looked at training schedule and this fits in a good spot.

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 02:11:12 PM »
begin thread jack

gotta watch the "group rides" - biggest issue is that people ride with their friends and thus folks who should do B+/A  do B/B- and as a result....what Daniel said - no fun.

end thread jack

I may contemplate being in on this, the 4AM start time sort kills me though, I will consider it penciled in...
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

naked indian

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 02:22:41 PM »
begin thread jack

gotta watch the "group rides" - biggest issue is that people ride with their friends and thus folks who should do B+/A  do B/B- and as a result....what Daniel said - no fun.

end thread jack

I may contemplate being in on this, the 4AM start time sort kills me though, I will consider it penciled in...

Well, the reason for the 4am start is, from my previous attempt, the night riding was beautiful and the sunset and early morning temps you will be thank ful to clear the dirt by the time the sun heats up at 12pm.  At that time, is when I recommend a break, basically to hide from the sun.

It sounds awful, but it will actually be advantageous to start that early and also more beautifuller...LOL

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 02:26:07 PM »
where is the start point?

I need to figure out what I need to do in order to get to it by 4:30

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 02:26:43 PM »
Just means a hella early wake up call to drive to the Big O.  I'll car pool with someone and sleep in the passanger seat  :D .  I'll pitch in 20.00 for gas.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

naked indian

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 02:29:41 PM »
where is the start point?

I need to figure out what I need to do in order to get to it by 4:30

Here is the map. http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide/regions/south/trails/6_lake_okeechobee_scenictra.htm
I say we start at the 12 o clock position looking at the map face on and work in the direction that puts the wind to our backs late in the day.

Offline ClintonRH

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 02:35:44 PM »
Sounds like fun. I'm not sure if I'm up for the distance though. I've ridden a metric century at 18 mph with only short breaks and I'm very sure I could push that to a full century without issue but that was fully on pavement. 120 with a third of it on dirt- I might be good for it but I just don't know right now if my fitness level is high enough. Though I like the idea of touring a lot, I'm just not sure if I'd want to push it quite that hard just yet. I'm still carrying 20 lbs of baggage that I could stand to not be hauling around for this kind of ride.

naked indian

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 02:37:26 PM »
Sounds like fun. I'm not sure if I'm up for the distance though. I've ridden a metric century at 18 mph with only short breaks and I'm very sure I could push that to a full century without issue but that was fully on pavement. 120 with a third of it on dirt- I might be good for it but I just don't know right now if my fitness level is high enough. Though I like the idea of touring a lot, I'm just not sure if I'd want to push it quite that hard just yet. I'm still carrying 20 lbs of baggage that I could stand to not be hauling around for this kind of ride.

I encourage you to join the fun. 

Anyone who rides the with INdian is guaranteed a kick ass good time, no matter the pace.

Plus, like I said we are touring it, not racing it.  So consider it and get back to us.  The more the merrier, the bigger our dirtier peloton is, the less we will suffer.