Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: What are to Pro's and Con's on a 1X9 Setup?  (Read 6414 times)

moleminiman

What are to Pro's and Con's on a 1X9 Setup?
« on: May 06, 2009, 10:31:50 AM »
I'm putting together a bike I bought a shimano Crank that has all 3 rings already on it and trying to decide on whether just to buy a bash gaurd and making it a 1X9 ..............or make it a 27spd with a front derailuer.  What do you think?

naked indian

Re: What are to Pro's and Con's on a 1X9 Setup?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 10:37:54 AM »
I'm putting together a bike I bought a shimano Crank that has all 3 rings already on it and trying to decide on whether just to buy a bash gaurd and making it a 1X9 ..............or make it a 27spd with a front derailuer.  What do you think?

If I am going to have all the weight up there, then I would rather have the triple and the advantage of mashing the big ring.  In fact, for round here, I would just pull off the granny and keep it a 2 x 9, a big ring and the middle.

BUT, if its easier, 1 x 9 is fun too, I  had a 1 x 7 at one point and that thing hammered.

So, ya, I say go 2 x 9 and beat me to the punch.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 10:46:20 AM »
I run a 1X9 on my big bike and don't really have problems with anything on it around here.  I run a 34t up front and like a 11-34t in the back and I can pedal the pig up just about anything.  I also have 32t and 36t rings that I can swap to if the need strikes me.  I actually like the 1x9 setup so much that I'll probably make my next xc bike a 1x9 and will only switch to a double or triple if I go out of state with it and need a granny and/or big ring.  If you do do a 1X9, I'd get a chain device to help keep your chain on and would highly recommend the E-13 LG-1 guide.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 10:55:11 AM »
If you ride WTA a lot it's nice to have the big ring on the front, but other than that you will probably never use it anywhere else in Tampa. Same with the granny gear.

^Me, while riding a Turner.

naked indian

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 11:03:18 AM »
If you ride WTA a lot it's nice to have the big ring on the front, but other than that you will probably never use it anywhere else in Tampa. Same with the granny gear.

Man I beg to differ.

When I rode with a triple up front or when I do ride with a tripple up front I mash that thing in almost all the trails.  The Big ring, that is.

Luis

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 11:09:40 AM »
Man I beg to differ.

When I rode with a triple up front or when I do ride with a tripple up front I mash that thing in almost all the trails.  The Big ring, that is.

agreed

Offline jdk

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • I LIKE BIKES
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 11:10:49 AM »

Man I beg to differ.

If that works for you, then by all means rock it out. I'd bet you wont be making too many climbs on gatorback running on the big ring up front, unless you're cross chaining, in which case why even bother using the big ring.

^Me, while riding a Turner.

naked indian

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 11:14:01 AM »

Man I beg to differ.

If that works for you, then by all means rock it out. I'd bet you wont be making too many climbs on gatorback running on the big ring up front, unless you're cross chaining, in which case why even bother using the big ring.

You can actually do pretty well with the big ring and a 29er wheel and push bigger combos then you could on a 26, like big ring and 4 on the right or big ring and 5 even.  But ya, in Gatorback, I would probably use the middle ring.  But Gatorback is only a mile or two long, theres a whole nother 16 miles of trail you can mash the big ring and escape the peloton with!! LOL

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 11:15:01 AM »
Man I beg to differ.

agreed

Well, you guys are supermen and we are just mere mortals :)

I think I nice setup would be a 2X9 with a 38 and maybe a 26 up front.

naked indian

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 11:17:26 AM »
Man I beg to differ.

agreed

Well, you guys are supermen and we are just mere mortals :)

I think I nice setup would be a 2X9 with a 38 and maybe a 26 up front.

I agree 2 x 10 is the set up I would like to try soon.  44 - 29 up front, 11 - 36 in the back ten speed cassette.  maybe one day.

moleminiman

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2009, 11:30:23 AM »
I run single speed 32X18 and I've cleared everything in Fl. including Gatorback don't ask me how but I made it........Woohoo.  As far as pricing goes I think the 1X9 would be a cheaper way to go?

naked indian

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2009, 11:34:59 AM »
I run single speed 32X18 and I've cleared everything in Fl. including Gatorback don't ask me how but I made it........Woohoo.  As far as pricing goes I think the 1X9 would be a cheaper way to go?

It would as long as you got a single speed crankset ready.  I dont know how much chain guides or chain retainers are, but im sure they are not much.  Go 32 x 9 I think you will love it.

moleminiman

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 11:48:37 AM »
OK I found Dual X9 shifters with teflon cables and free shipping for $80  couldn't pass up the deal so it looks like i'm going with a 27spd.  That bike is gonna Fly!

naked indian

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 11:55:58 AM »
OK I found Dual X9 shifters with teflon cables and free shipping for $80  couldn't pass up the deal so it looks like i'm going with a 27spd.  That bike is gonna Fly!

It will....Use the BIG RING
and  SWEEP THE LEG

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 12:18:32 PM »
and  SWEEP THE LEG

Fear does not exist in this dojo!

Advertisement: