Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Balm Boyette Fire Trails  (Read 1421 times)

Offline ankr

• Forum Newbie
Balm Boyette Fire Trails
« on: May 09, 2009, 06:31:55 PM »
I'm looking for a bit more info on the fire trails at balm boyette. Are they sandy or hard packed? I ask because I have a touring bike with 35c tires and I was wondering if the trails would be rideable with this setup. I could probably fit a more knobby tire up to 40mm if I need to. What do you guys think?

Thanks for your help.

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: Balm Boyette Fire Trails
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 07:02:07 PM »
They're a combination of both. You could definitely do them with a 35. I've dealt with worse on a 28mm slick. It's not particularly fun and quite the balancing act as the rear wheel tends to slide left and right under you. The front wheel becomes more like a rudder than anything else but it's doable. If the patch isn't very deep (less than an inch of loose stuff) a thin tire will actually go faster because it cuts through to the bottom and has less drag because it displaces less sand than a big tire. There are a few sandy areas where you'll have to walk it but 99% of the time you'd be fine so long as you pick a good line to avoid the really loose stuff. I still haven't brought my cross bike out to Boyette yet (though I keep thinking I will) and I'm pretty sure I would be perfectly fine on my 35mm semi-slicks (most flat center with side-knobs). My 28mm slicks would work on the fire roads but I want to go bomb through West Meadow and Quadrants so I need some cornering traction for that.

Advertisement: