Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Hey you Ellsworth type people  (Read 3205 times)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Hey you Ellsworth type people
« on: May 11, 2009, 08:40:30 AM »
Me along with another few guys have been trying to get a mutual friend into mountain biking for almost a year now. He has been renting bikes but very recently started shopping for Specialized Enduro,Stumpjumper or Pitch since that is basically what the bike shop has been renting him. I told him to stick with what he knows and what he likes but he got impatient after a few failed attempts on ebay. Seems like it's actually kinda hard to find large frames which is what he required. You can buy mediums all day long.
So we jumped into action and found three bikes for him to choose from that were available to buy last night. Some higher end 07 Jamis Dakar $1400, 07 Turner 5 Spot $1800, a 2005 Ellsworth ID $1700. My buddy talked him into the Ellsworth even though none of us have so much as thrown a leg over one. I think the mentality was that if you can get an Ellsworth than the choice is obvious. So he bid and won it .

Questions are:

1) What is the reputation of this frame? I plan to read reviews but would also like some input from the guys who ride Ells.

2) What is the intended purpose of this rig.... XC, All Mountain or little bit of both?

3) Ok to do some little drops with it like the three small ones at the Vortex along with the one mild larger one on the side opposite the gnarly stuff? (It has a Fox Float air shock not coil over)

4) Is a newbie gonna even notice the "Ellsworth Experience"? I really don't want to hear "I liked the Specialized a little better".

Specs on the bike are great

Easton Havoc Wheelset
Thomson seatpost and stem (Salsa clamp)
XTR dual control hydraulic brake/shifters
XTR derailleurs
Easton Monkeylite Carbon Bars
Race face Deus XC Crankset
PIKE 454 Air Fork
WTB Rocket V titanium saddle
Crank Bros carbon pedals
Fox Float Shock
Chris King Headset

And best of all it has seen very little use due to the owner being injured.

Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
Re: Hey you Ellsworth type people
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 08:44:47 AM »
And best of all it has seen very little use due to the owner being injured.

Spoken like a true opportunist!  :-*

1) What is the reputation of this frame? I plan to read reviews but would also like some input from the guys who ride Ells.

2) What is the intended purpose of this rig.... XC, All Mountain or little bit of both?

3) Ok to do some little drops with it like the three small ones at the Vortex along with the one mild larger one on the side opposite the gnarly stuff? (It has a Fox Float air shock not coil over)

4) Is a newbie gonna even notice the "Ellsworth Experience"? I really don't want to hear "I liked the Specialized a little better".

1) No idea. It is Ellsworth. It got great reviews here.

2) Aggressive XC machine....

3) Should be fine for those. I have seen hardtails hit those drops...

4) Newbie hitting the aforementioned drops may become an ex-Mutual friend. Never ridden an Ellsworth, but I intend on owning one. Every bike rides different. I prefer the suspension design as it is similar to a Kona's.

5) I am not a smart*.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 08:52:27 AM by KRUNNCHERO »
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 08:49:38 AM »
You have gotten to know me too well Krunnch! I'm gonna have to change things up a bit and thus throw you off my trail.

It's easier to do such things online cause that way you don't have to actually face the guy in his wheelchair and then low ball him.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 08:51:56 AM by catman »

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 08:54:02 AM »
....and then low ball him.

No pun intended right? Poor sap got the shirt pulled over his head. I am posting and not hijacking moderators, see my post above as I answered all of his questions. Please don't delete me.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 08:56:44 AM by KRUNNCHERO »
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 08:59:38 AM »
the ID is a good all mountain rig. One of my riding buddies rode one for a while and liked it alot. the only issue he had with it was the bb being a little high for serious xc racing so he traded it out for a truth. He always said it was the shizzle on the mountain downhills. It will take most anything he can throw at it. 8)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 09:03:19 AM »
I have only been on an epiphany and I love it...bought one...and I for once in my life don't have "i wish I had bike "x""

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 09:09:13 AM »
the ID is a good all mountain rig. One of my riding buddies rode one for a while and liked it alot. the only issue he had with it was the bb being a little high for serious xc racing so he traded it out for a truth. He always said it was the shizzle on the mountain downhills. It will take most anything he can throw at it. 8)

This guy has not interest in racing and his intent was to get a all mountian rig so sounds like things are all good.

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 09:21:34 AM »
I echo what Factorells said.  He got a good deal on a nice ride.  May not experience the Ellsworth thing until he rides a different bike after riding the ells for several rides. 

I love my epiphany.  Not much that bike can't handle
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline Daniel

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 09:33:19 AM »
On a side note AJ's has a pitch on sale for 1500 right now.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents" H.P. Lovecraft

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 09:53:11 AM »
Large frame? I was in there the other day and didn't see anything that met his requirements as far as size and price. Would have loved to help support Aj's. Looks like that place will be a mega store after the expansion work is complete.

Offline Daniel

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 09:56:12 AM »
Yeah, I enjoy doing business with them. Rachel and I have probably funded a good chunck of the expansion ;). I'm not sure on the size. I wasn't in the market for an all mountain but it caught my eye in passing.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents" H.P. Lovecraft

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 01:41:29 PM »
I've had two Truths, one Id ( for 5 years) and now the Moment for the past three years.

If the ID has a Float on it ( 2" travel) Vs any of the longer shocks with 2.25" travel, the bottom bracket will be a little lower and handling will be a little more stable in slow speed tech trails and more stable on faster downhills. With the standard longer shock, steep down hills are more difficult.

Keep in mind, getting any kind of warranty help on a used EW frame will be very difficult ( Yes, like all brands, EW have been known to break, in cluding three of mine)

Having said that, EW bikes ride better than anything I have every tried and I've ridden just about everything I can.

The cheaper and safer thing to do is go buy a Specialized Pitch or a Giant Trance X. A little more weight won't kill him.
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 01:58:05 PM »
I've had two Truths, one Id ( for 5 years) and now the Moment for the past three years.

If the ID has a Float on it ( 2" travel) Vs any of the longer shocks with 2.25" travel, the bottom bracket will be a little lower and handling will be a little more stable in slow speed tech trails and more stable on faster downhills. With the standard longer shock, steep down hills are more difficult.

Keep in mind, getting any kind of warranty help on a used EW frame will be very difficult ( Yes, like all brands, EW have been known to break, in cluding three of mine)

Having said that, EW bikes ride better than anything I have every tried and I've ridden just about everything I can.

The cheaper and safer thing to do is go buy a Specialized Pitch or a Giant Trance X. A little more weight won't kill him.

I agree that there is some risk involved with buying a used frame, especially one that would cost a ton to replace due to no warranty coverage. He just looked at it as getting one of the best bikes for the price of something less than top notch. He will ride once a month, twice if he is lucky so I'm thinking that the frame will last him a long time. He is not the stunt type either so even more reason to think it will last him.

The frame does in fact have the Fox Float on it but not sure on the shocks travel. I can't wait to give it a test ride and see what the big deal is about these frames. It's hard for me to imagine something better than Giant's "maestro".

Where did your frames break and how often/hard were you riding them?

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 03:31:33 PM »
EW breakage?: No lets start with the 1995 PRO-Flex.
Pro-Flex 857 
First breakage, swingarm at Hardrock MTB race
Seat tube at toptube Croom

Pro-Flex/K2 warranty was great!

98 Truth- seat tube at top tube
99 Truth-
upper suspension links ( Flat Creek/Stanley GAP Ga)
Swing arm- Fruita Co.
Seat tube at top tube

** Yes, all seat posts were at least 6" into the seat tube

2001 Id.
Swing arm
Seat tube- at seat tube clamp split.

Warranty of EW was interesting,had to pay upgrade fees from 98 Truth to 99 Truth, and a small upgrade fee from the Id to Moment. (EW warranty used to be lifetime, is now 2 years)

Rider weight for all of those was between 200-240 lbs.
I'm not a hucker, but I don't avoid bumps or small jumps

Plus.. I'm old (ok, I'm 50 which is like the new 30)

The Moment is the best yet and is now three years old.

You're welcome to try it out, it will probably be June before I'm back on the dirt. ( working on healing the broken femur)

"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 08:30:23 AM »
(EW warranty used to be lifetime, is now 2 years)
Just out of curiousity, why did Ellsworth change from a lifetime to a 2 year warranty? 
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Advertisement: