Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Cannondale Lefty Fork thoughts anyone?  (Read 1818 times)

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
Cannondale Lefty Fork thoughts anyone?
« on: May 12, 2009, 08:39:36 AM »
It is a little to late to change now, but I was wondering peoples thoughts on the Lefty fork in general. I bought a 07' Caffeine 29er that has a Lefty Speed Bonded DLR2 80mm fork and was wondering how different/difficult they are to maintain, life cycle, durability, etc, compared to a standard air shock... I am a clydesdale rider (250lbs) and would like to know what to expect. As far as I know it had the recall warranty work done on it since it was mechanic owned.

The bike and fork got excellant reviews on MTBR, so I pulled the trigger. What do you guys think of the fork (and/or Bike) for the trails we have in this area?

Offline Robert Lucio

• Huffy Rider
Re: Cannondale Lefty Fork thoughts anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 08:55:33 AM »
I have a lefty (130 mm of travel) and I absolutely love it.  It rolls smoothly over everything and I think it has saved me more than a few times.

I thought it would take some time getting used to, but right from the beginning it felt comfortable.

It also tends to be a lighter than similiar forks of the same travel.  Though technically I think it is called a strut.

The only drawback is if you want to change rims/wheelsets you have to look for one that is lefty specific or have one built up.  Though the hub that comes on them is one of the lightest and strongest you will find.

naked indian

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 09:15:41 AM »
Darrin,

Lefty forks are the *.

asside from it being a cannondale, you got an excellent bike there, you CAN DO ANYTHING with it, from recreational riding to cross country racing to endurance racing.

You will probably never ride your other bike again.

29ers are in my own personal opinion the best tire selection for an MTB rider PERIOD.

Thats my opinion of course.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 05:44:35 PM »
As someone pointed out in another thread...the lefty makes for an easy front flat repair. 

They seemed to get quite a bit of negativity when the Lefty first hit the market.  Most recent remarks/reviews seem to be positive.  I've always loved how odd those bikes look coming down the trail.  Enjoy the new bike!

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 05:47:17 PM »
I must admit I am lusty after that sub 3 Lb. CF Lefty :-*

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 01:55:17 PM »
The Lefty is a fantastic fork- just make sure you have the appropriate spring in it for your weight.

If they made a 150mm Lefty I'd have put it on my Uber V. They may not look it, but they are very tough. You have to remember- they're all dual-crown!
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Advertisement: