Author Topic: Frankenbike #2  (Read 15272 times)

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2007 Giant Trance 1
Frankenbike #2
« on: May 13, 2009, 10:12:40 AM »
I think it is time for another Frankenbike build. I was out of town for the first one and I really regret missing all the festivities. We have a member (Krunnch) who is in need of a med to large (I assume) full suspension stout XC rig but all mountain would be awesome. He built the first Frankenbike as well as donated a bunch of parts. He also is very active in trail maintenance from what I hear.

He currently has a full on downhill bike (almost 50lbs I think?) He kills it on that thing but certainly could use another option.

So does anyone have a FS frame just hanging in the garage that you know you're truthfully never gonna build back up (be honest with yourself  :) )? Even if it is too nice for a straight up donation maybe we can all pitch in a little to make this deal go down.

This is what I've got just sitting in the garage:

1) EA 50 120mm stem 25.4 clamp
2) Old Specialized body geometry saddle
3) Shimano XT front derailleur 31.8 clamp top swing (unsure of what pull it is)
4) Old Kalo 27.2 seatpost and clamp
5) Old 9sp KMZ chain that may clean up nice (quick link as well
6) Two brake cables and one derailleur,Cable end crimps, cable housing ferrules, steer tube spacers, odds and ends,etc.
7) Old Rock Shox Judy 100mm but this is for the worse case scenario as it needs seals and paint
8) 2003-2004 (has been sandblasted so needs paint) Giant NRS 3.75 in rear travel 20.5 inch frame with no rear shock (needs 6.5 eye to eye shock I think). Bottom braket threads are messed up on non-drive side but LBS said it should be fine.
9) Lower end Shimano SPD pedals
10) Lizard Skins lockon grips (no clamps)

That's about all I can remember right now but is most likely a complete list for me as I used almost all of my spares recently on another Frankenbike donation type deal.

Krunnch: If you have other plans or are not interested for any reason I'll delete this post.

Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
Re: Frankenbike #2
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 11:02:42 AM »
No, I definitely would be interested. I had no plans of building an XC rig because I don't have the money right now to build one, but I am honored you started this thread. I really appreciate the effort and would be delighted if it came to be, but it certainly is not necessary. I do volunteering (Frankenbike #1 and trail work) because I enjoy it. Short of that, I am speechless.

P.S. Just noticed my post count went down 6... I swear, one of these days I am going to accidentally tire check some moderators off the trail.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 11:05:23 AM by KRUNNCHERO »
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

naked indian

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 11:11:40 AM »
No, I definitely would be interested. I had no plans of building an XC rig because I don't have the money right now to build one, but I am honored you started this thread. I really appreciate the effort and would be delighted if it came to be, but it certainly is not necessary. I do volunteering (Frankenbike #1 and trail work) because I enjoy it. Short of that, I am speechless.

P.S. Just noticed my post count went down 6... I swear, one of these days I am going to accidentally tire check some moderators off the trail.

gonna be hard to find a hanging unused FS frame.  If you went Hardtail you might have better luck.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 11:54:22 AM »
P.S. Just noticed my post count went down 6...
Don't feel bad.  Mine's down about 20.  Guess now if you say anything in a thread that's not on topic they're getting deleted.

And to keep it on topic, I probably have some parts laying around that could be put to good use.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
    • Rob Rides For Pink - TD Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 11:56:22 AM »
if this goes i have stuff:

shifters
v-brakes
RS Psylo fork (U-turn 80-125mm)
stems (25.4)
bars (25.4)
seat posts (30.6 and 27.2)
seats
maybe even some 26er wheels (they may not be complete though)

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 01:32:43 PM »

gonna be hard to find a hanging unused FS frame.  If you went Hardtail you might have better luck.

I was thinking the same thing but if you're asking why not ask for what you want and then settle if necessary.

naked indian

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 01:42:24 PM »

I was thinking the same thing but if you're asking why not ask for what you want and then settle if necessary.

Kruunch is a kool kat in my book, so keep us posted how it goes and I will be glad to help.

Offline Jonesy

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 05:57:28 PM »
I have a set of hydralic disc brakes and rotors I will donate to the cause.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 06:02:12 PM »
I have some disc wheels, cranks, a spare set of time pedals, and various other bits like shifters and deraileurs.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Paintboy

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 06:36:42 PM »
Catman
 Count me in on this one . I can donate time and material to  do all the paint work that is needed for the frame in my shop and any color that he wants.. Let me know

Bill

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 08:46:40 PM »
Wonder if we should just get this going with my Giant frame and hope that a shock comes along. Seems like someone out there has to have one sitting in a closet due to upgrade. This frame I have is super XC but beggers can't be choosers I suppose. My buddy has the same frame and he rides everything at Alafia with it. The seals in the shock did eventually blow but pretty easy fixed with a kit from Push Ind.

Krunnch: how tall are you and what is your weight? This frame is 20.5 and while I can certainly ride it at 5'10 it is in no way the right size for me. I'm thinking you are 6 ft? What do you think about running with this? Wanna wait a bit to see if someone has something a little smaller, with a little more travel, and complete with shock? Part of me is saying the same thing Naked Indian did, maybe a hardtail, but you'll have a tough time getting a FS frame donated.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 09:15:35 PM »
Wonder if we should just get this going with my Giant frame and hope that a shock comes along. Seems like someone out there has to have one sitting in a closet due to upgrade. This frame I have is super XC but beggers can't be choosers I suppose. My buddy has the same frame and he rides everything at Alafia with it. The seals in the shock did eventually blow but pretty easy fixed with a kit from Push Ind.

Krunnch: how tall are you and what is your weight? This frame is 20.5 and while I can certainly ride it at 5'10 it is in no way the right size for me. I'm thinking you are 6 ft? What do you think about running with this? Wanna wait a bit to see if someone has something a little smaller, with a little more travel, and complete with shock? Part of me is saying the same thing Naked Indian did, maybe a hardtail, but you'll have a tough time getting a FS frame donated.

I am 6'1"-6'2" - 185lbs. I am fine with anything, whatever you guys think is best for XC stuff. I have no idea as I don't dab in that realm. I only know things about big travel bikes and the such. I have the sanded Raleigh M40 - 19" (hardtail), but no parts to go with it? Think that would be a good start?
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 09:28:50 PM »
My 20.5 would be perfert for you at 6'1 to 6'2 and will be a ton more fun that some old ass Raleigh HT. I'm thinking a shock should show up soon and since we're not in any huge rush that's the route I'd recommend. I'd love to see you put my old NRS to work. NRS stands for no resonance system and it was a sweet frame back in the day. Won a bunch of awards from what I heard. Great bike for Boyette and should hold up just fine as it did for me at 185lbs. This is what it looked like back in 2003

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 08:17:19 AM »
BillT may have the shock we need. Hopefully I still have most of the parts from the original one (damaged beyond repair) so I can get a good measurement. Otherwise I'll have to measure the one on my buddies NRS. Might be a little sticky since he said he wanted this frame for his brother a month or so ago. Snooze you lose right. Rather donate it to someone who I know will use it.

What color do want it to be Krunnch?

The build will have to take place on Saturday so that Krunnch can attend. He is a member of the local family focused mtb club :D

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 09:08:40 AM »
Ok, so lets start a parts list:

Frame: Catman (I think it's missing one pivot bolt)
Paint job: Paintboy
Disc brakes and rotors: Jonesy
Disc brake adapters: unknown
Disc wheelset: BillT or rob_squared
Skewers: unknown
Tires: unknown
Tubes: unknown
Rear shock: BillT (questionable)
Crankset: BillT
Fork: rob_squared
Bars: rob_squared
Stem: rob_squared or catman (120mm)
Stem cap and starfangled nut: catman (star nut only)
Steering tube spacers: catman
Saddle: rob_squared or catman
Shifters: rob_squared or BillT
Seatpost: rob_squared  (I'll figure out what size is needed)
Chain and link: catman (I'll check it to see if it's within wear limits)
Pedals: catman (shimano) BillT (Time)
Shifter cables: catman (need one more though)
Grips: catman (need odi type clamps though)
Bar ends: catman (odi that only fit their clamps)
Seatpost clamp: catman (need to check size though)
Rear derailleur: BillT
Front derailleur: BillT or catman (need to check clamp size)
Cable housings: unknown (Krunnch can provide if he wants new ones?)
Cable housings ferrules: catman
cable end crimps: catman
Headset: Unknown (Giant oversized integraded zero stack) $40 at Giant dealer
Bottom Bracket: unknown (may come with BillT's crankset)
Bottom bracket spacers: catman (for chainline)
9sp Cassette: unknown
Derailleur hanger: unknown (lost the original) LBS $15
Cable rub patches and cable rub bumpers: catman