Author Topic: IMBA's Trail Difficulty Criteria  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
    • SWAMP Mountain Bike Club
IMBA's Trail Difficulty Criteria
« on: January 01, 2007, 03:21:06 PM »
IMBA, the International Mountain Bicycling Association, has many resources available.

The following article describing IMBA's Trail Difficulty Rating System is taken directly from their book Trail Solutions: IMBA's Guide to Building Sweet Singletrack. This 272-page book combines cutting-edge trail building techniques with proven fundamentals in a colorful, easy-to-read format. The book is available for purchase from IMBA.

The IMBA Trail Difficulty Rating System is a basic method used to categorize the relative technical difficulty of recreation trails. The IMBA Trail Difficulty Rating System can:

* Help trail users make informed decisions
    * Encourage visitors to use trails that match their skill level
    * Manage risk and minimize injuries
    * Improve the outdoor experience for a wide variety of visitors
    * Aid in the planning of trails and trail systems

This system was adapted from the International Trail Marking System used at ski areas throughout the world. Many trail networks use this type of system, most notably resort-based mountain biking trail networks. The system best applies to mountain bikers, but is also applicable to other visitors such as hikers and equestrians. These criteria should be combined with personal judgment and trail-user input to reach the final rating.

Read the full article here: http://www.imba.com/resources/trail_building/itn_17_4_trail_difficulty.html
Are you a SWAMP Mountain Bike Club member? Ride Guide?
If so, use the Personal Message link to the left, under my name, to send me a PM about upgrading your forum account to SWAMPer or Ride Guide!
Please remember to include your first and last name and when or how you joined SWAMP.

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
Re: IMBA's Trail Difficulty Criteria
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 04:25:10 PM »
Good info...  Always wondered what the complete criteria was..

Interesting to see that Black Diamond and so one is relative to the trails in the area, not necessarily the trails around the world...

;D

-Bob
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Online BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
Re: IMBA's Trail Difficulty Criteria
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 05:11:43 PM »
great info.  Thanks for sharing.  I think a purchase for my library is in order.  :D
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------