Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Trail maintenance ruined my bike  (Read 3564 times)

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
Trail maintenance ruined my bike
« on: May 16, 2009, 08:46:56 PM »
So Dave and I were headed out on Heartbreak Ridge towards the main trail.  I come across a HUGE tree (or tree branch) completely covering the trail.  Instead of dismounting and walking around it...I decide to "do the right thing" and move it from the trail.  I park my bike off the trail and begin hauling the mother of all trees off the trail.

Tree moved fine, but there was a large vine attached to it.  Vine didn't look to attach to anything vital.  I begin pulling the vine to see if it was going to give or to see if I'd have to hang it out of the way.  Well the vine decided to pull down another large piece of tree.  This large piece of tree landed square on my bike and did this:

So you do the right thing and mother nature literally craps a huge/heavy branch on my bike for the effort.  It is creased pretty bad on the one side and the paint/powdercoat is flaking off.  I think it won't see trail duty ever again.  I'm super pissed.  Can I get a free jersey for sacrificing my $1200 bike for trail maintenance?  ;)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Re: Trail maintenance ruined my bike
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 09:12:18 PM »
This story makes me sick to my stomach. Are you gonna call it dead or ride it as is and just see if it holds up? Found this site after a quick search. Guess if your frame is high end it could be worth a shot.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/zito.html
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 09:39:41 PM »
damn! what kind of bike was it? better hope that thing doesnt fold in half on your next ride...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 09:42:37 PM by ProEdgeBiker »

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 09:51:55 PM »
Ride it until it breaks.   ;D

P.S.  That really sucks though
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 10:03:08 PM »
Damn man, that sucks!  I think you can do a replacement deal with the manufacturer that is less than outright buying a new frame.  Do a little pleading story of how you were doing this IMBA endorsed good samaritan thing of removing debris from the trail, (doing the right thing!), and your prized steed that you so proudly beam to your riding buddies about took one for the team.  Your sick with emotion that your never complaining riding partner took such a devastating hit and BlueCross BlueShield won't even help.

Know a good creative writer?  Might just tug on the right ear.  :-)

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 10:29:36 PM »
It isn't exactly and uber expensive high end frame (it is a Giant XTC1)...but I had a rediculous amount of money in this bike and I was hoping to keep this frame for quite some time.  The color scheme no longer exists and, in fact, I've never seen another one like it in this color in the area.  Kinda bummed. 

The dent is bad enough to where I'm not going to feel comfortable taking it out on the trail.  I'm not willing to risk serious injury.  Giant won't cover this under the lifetime warranty as, obviously, it isn't a manufacturing issue. 

Luckily I have the Monocog to fart around on until I figure out what to do.  Rest asured...if I decide to clear anything off the trail the Monocog will be parked half a mile down the trail. 

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 10:37:21 PM »
I would still check with Giant and see what if anything they might be willing to do to help you out.  What's the worst that can happen - now?

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 11:00:13 PM »
True.  I'm headed over to AJ's tomorrow for them to take a look at it. 

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 11:21:51 PM »
It's bad but it doesn't look horribly bad. If you are not the Gatorback/Moonscape type I'd run it. I should mention though, that I am the Gatorback/Moonscape type and I'd run it anyway. Never know, it may live a good life. I would also be very tempted to pull the headset out and see what a paintless dent repairman could poke down in there to possibly push it back up a bit. Still won't be as strong but will look better. I've seen people selling frames on ebay that have decent size dents in them. I have yet to break a frame so no expert on what they can or cannot take. Regardless, I am super bummed for you man. I can only imagine Aj's will tell you to junk it for safety reasons. If it's a med or large I might give you something for the frame if you're just gonna trash it.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Gough

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 07:27:53 AM »
this might be a long shot, but i works on RC car exhaust systems that get dented, fill the tube with water and plug it so the water stays in, the put it in a freezer for the night, the ice will push the dent back to shape. then remove the plugs and let it melt.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 07:39:11 AM »
this might be a long shot, but i works on RC car exhaust systems that get dented, fill the tube with water and plug it so the water stays in, the put it in a freezer for the night, the ice will push the dent back to shape. then remove the plugs and let it melt.
You have a bicycle sized freezer???

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 09:31:45 AM »
This may require employment at McDonalds to utilize their walk-in freezer. 

naked indian

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 09:40:06 AM »
Alan.

The last weekend reddick aka razorback was open I was doing a night ride, towards the last pit, i nose wheeleied a drop just a little too much and was sent flying over the bars and my bike tumbled violently down the slope.  Took a brief visual survey and could see no damage, jumped on kept going.  The next day I discovered that my brake lever put almost the identical dent you have in the top tube of my mamasita. 

thats was 2007.

Its been almot two years since, the dent is still there and the bike although a little beat up is still going strong.

Its the mtb equivalent of a scar, no big deal structurally, just a cosmetic flaw.

Offline Daniel

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 11:21:44 AM »
remember your geometry? triangles are strong. for the top tube to fold the down tube would have to bend or the welds break at the bb or head tube. you still have alot of strength there.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents" H.P. Lovecraft

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 02:32:20 PM »
Just to echo what Karlos and Daniel said, while it will hurt you for a while to look at it, the top tube does not appear to have deflected down, you just have an ugly dent to remind you of the cruel trick that vine played on you. Ride that thing till you get a replacement frame, an XTC advanced would be SWEET 8)

Advertisement: