Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Single Speeds are great  (Read 3650 times)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Single Speeds are great
« on: May 17, 2009, 06:38:40 PM »
Whenever you don't make a climb you can just remind friends or point out to onlookers that you've only got one gear. Worked great for me today when a family stopped to watch me try a difficult uphill.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

naked indian

Re: Single Speeds are great
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 07:32:06 PM »
I make every single climb on my SS,  sometimes it requires me to use my off the bike Pushing skills, but everything getS DOMINATED.

ON another note, rode Santos yesterdays, yellows, reds andd blues, the MO waS PERFECT, I cant remember EVER, EVER, the Vortex Flowing so well, I was LOVING my Reba yesterday.

come to find out after I was done and raving how much I loved it, it was locked out the whole time.  I wonder if you ride it like that all the time if it ruins the fork?? 

I was told nah, that it has some type of blow out valve.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 07:50:00 PM »
I think I can make everything around here except for a few climbs at Alafia. I plan on getting them soon though. The lock out on my Reba is very easy to bump into the lock out position. I've done the same thing as you and never had an issue. Lock out on the rear shock is a different story in my experience. My buddy had his Fox float locked out unknowingly and sure enough after riding (some small jumps) that day the shock started sagging. Hooked up a pump to it and found that it was leaking. He put a kit in it from Push and it's good as new. Same thing happened to my Fox RP2. Not sure how forks are affected. I know they tell you in the manual to not lock it out for decents.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 08:21:16 PM »
Reba still has a wee bit of travel when locked out. 

catman...It isn't the single speed's fault your legs can't handle the climb.  ;)

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 07:25:47 AM »
how do you not notice your fork locked out?! :o you crazy indian! ;)

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 07:33:41 AM »
catman...It isn't the single speed's fault your legs can't handle the climb.  ;)
I'm glad someone else pointed that out to him.  If I would've done it, he'd accuse me of internet bullying.  :D
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 09:01:25 AM »
Reba still has a wee bit of travel when locked out. 

:'(

Damn the truth hurts.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 09:08:30 AM »
I make every single climb on my SS,  sometimes it requires me to use my off the bike Pushing skills, but everything getS DOMINATED.

ON another note, rode Santos yesterdays, yellows, reds andd blues, the MO waS PERFECT, I cant remember EVER, EVER, the Vortex Flowing so well, I was LOVING my Reba yesterday.

come to find out after I was done and raving how much I loved it, it was locked out the whole time.  I wonder if you ride it like that all the time if it ruins the fork?? 

I was told nah, that it has some type of blow out valve.

What psi do you run in your Reba? Mine is the 80mm and I didn't get a manual with it. I think I've just been putting 50-60psi in it. Can't remember if I've even checked the neg side. Air forks are sorta new to me. Is there a chart with rider weights and what not?

naked indian

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 09:09:10 AM »
how do you not notice your fork locked out?! :o you crazy indian! ;)

It worked better locked out... I want to keep it that way if it dont break it...LMAO!

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 09:22:39 AM »

What psi do you run in your Reba? Mine is the 80mm and I didn't get a manual with it. I think I've just been putting 50-60psi in it. Can't remember if I've even checked the neg side. Air forks are sorta new to me. Is there a chart with rider weights and what not?

See if anything here can help you - http://www.sram.com/en/service/rockshox/view.php?catID=1&subcatID=8

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

naked indian

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 09:25:17 AM »

See if anything here can help you - [url=http://www.sram.com/en/service/rockshox/view.php?catID=1&subcatID=8]http://www.sram.com/en/service/rockshox/view.php?catID=1&subcatID=8[/url]

I put 150 in my top and bottom leg only cause I want it as stiff as possible.  I USUALLY ride rigid forks.

It FELT good at that PSI, and the travel was doing its thing.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 09:39:56 AM »

See if anything here can help you - [url=http://www.sram.com/en/service/rockshox/view.php?catID=1&subcatID=8]http://www.sram.com/en/service/rockshox/view.php?catID=1&subcatID=8[/url]

120-135psi for 180-200lbs!!!  , I had no idea forks were pumped up that high.

Guess now would be a good time to find out what my Fox and Marzocchi should have in them.

Offline RyanFDLE

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 02:07:11 PM »
I was thinking of trying out a single speed, I really don't want to spend a lot of money. I was looking at the outcast 29er. heck why not try both at the same time :P any suggestions on some cool SS bikes on the cheap side. Thanks!

naked indian

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 02:10:35 PM »
I was thinking of trying out a single speed, I really don't want to spend a lot of money. I was looking at the outcast 29er. heck why not try both at the same time :P any suggestions on some cool SS bikes on the cheap side. Thanks!

Monocog or motobecane seem to offer the best prices on fully built 29ers.  Or scour the internet for some.

You can also see if someone will let you try theirs, just to see.

I am an ENORMOUS fan of the Big wheel, and I cant imagine riding anything else.

How tall are you?

Offline RyanFDLE

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 02:18:39 PM »
I'm around 5'11, such great deals on bikesdirect.com if you get their high end models. anyone have history with bikes direct?

Advertisement: